• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat -- Autumn and/or Spring Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Card games? No, I never got into them. My brother is heavily into collecting Yu-Gi-Oh cards even though he really doesn't have anyone to play against. In fact I had to buy him one of those rare $15-$20 cards that they sell on ToyWiz as his Christmas present. A little too much for a single card if you ask me, but whatever he wants, I guess.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    I never quite got the point of Yu-Gi-Oh! to begin with. Magic: the Gathering was my card game of choice anyway, so...

Years
    Card games are boring. Video games are better.
    While I do think videogames are better, card games are pretty fun in their own right. The first factor of why card games are so popular is because you probably aren't going to find the Ultra-Rare Monster you want for your deck the first time around, which gives you a region to religiously buy them. Secondly, card games can become even more competitive than video games because the factor of luck is just as prominent of that of skill, unlike some (not all, by a long shot) video games that rely on mostly skill, giving your friend a better chance to beat you in Yu-Gi-Oh than in Madden 11.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I never got into Yu-Gi-Oh. I didn't quite grasp the concept of what's mainly about. It was really popular when I started middle school. I even know quite a few college classmates who *still* collect Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

KanadeTenshi

Banned
    Years
    While I do think videogames are better, card games are pretty fun in their own right. The first factor of why card games are so popular is because you probably aren't going to find the Ultra-Rare Monster you want for your deck the first time around, which gives you a region to religiously buy them. Secondly, card games can become even more competitive than video games because the factor of luck is just as prominent of that of skill, unlike some (not all, by a long shot) video games that rely on mostly skill, giving your friend a better chance to beat you in Yu-Gi-Oh than in Madden 11.
    Luck shouldn't be a factor something is better. Not shouldn't, it isn't a factor.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Luck shouldn't be a factor.

It's how much skill is required that is.

and, uh, let's be totally honest, card games require a hellavalot of skill. You can't rely on luck to get a card for you if it's not in your deck. Furthermore, if you can't use it properly...yeah. you fail.

The same goes, really, for all tactical games where you build your own _____.

Last edited:
    Years

Luck means little when you've got a top-level player facing a mid-level player in a tournament for Pokemon, Magic, or Yu-Gi-Oh. I've been to tournaments for the first two, and there is a huge gap between the top tier and middle tier players. You have to have deck-building skills AND deck-playing skills to be successful. Luck factors in only in players who are close in skill. The best decks in these games play the odds to gain card advantage by using enough of a card to make it so the card has a much higher chance of appearing when they need it.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Donavann speaks the truth. I used to have a fairly good deck, but I never won against my brother in Yu-Gi-Oh before simply because he had every broken card on the planet. Heavy Storm, Harpy's Feather Duster, Monster Reborn, and he still had space for a cyber jar in his fiend deck. Dark Necrofear can be quite the pain in the ass.

Years
    Luck means little when you've got a top-level player facing a mid-level player in a tournament for Pokemon, Magic, or Yu-Gi-Oh. I've been to tournaments for the first two, and there is a huge gap between the top tier and middle tier players. You have to have deck-building skills AND deck-playing skills to be successful. Luck factors in only in players who are close in skill. The best decks in these games play the odds to gain card advantage by using enough of a card to make it so the card has a much higher chance of appearing when they need it.

I've noticed that too. It seems that you don't see many upsets when it comes to card games like Yu-Gi-Oh, no nub to the game is going to sit down and outright beat the defending champ. I was never beaten when I dueled my siblings, because I had a well conceived and well built Warrior themed deck, compared to just decks full of powerful, 7-8 star summons, or something like that.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    On-Topic: I've never really got a chance to play an TCGs with anyone. I played the pokemon TCG a few times, but not really all that much, just because I didn't have anyone to play with. The gameboy game was always fun though. lol

Off-Topic: I just finished watching the Animal Crossing movie for the second time. It's been like 2 years, since I first watched it, so I completely forgot it existed. lol

KanadeTenshi

Banned
    Years
    Tiers don't matter too much. Honestly, I beat a shitload of Lightsworn / *top tier deck* with my Dragon deck. You just see those decks over and over again that you know what's up.

@Ausaudriel
    WEEDS? That um.. doesn't sound good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back