• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: daily vidya chat

Cid

Years
    Oof. Well, there's always the next tourney!

Speaking of tourneys, I'll be joining another VGC tourney next weekend, and it'll have Pokken too! I've never seen the game in person so that'll be fun to spectate. I just hope I get a higher podium standing with the VGC tourney. I'll try to prepare my team this week.

Oh and a Smash Bros. Ultimate hangout lounge is going to have a soft reopening nearby this Wednesday, so I'll probably be there as well. Hope it will serve as some good practice for the future majors that I'll be entering.

EDIT: Soft reopening has been delayed a week due to some unforeseen issues with their electricity provider as well as a few facilities in need of fixing. Hope I still have enough free time to attend the event next week.

Last edited:
    Years
    Speaking of Tourneys, I really want Pokken Tournament DX for my bday. Watching the Pokemon World Championships make me want to participate next year. I always wanted to attend the Pokemon World Championships for years in...something. I think Pokken is my best bet, so I know I want a new Switch, Pokken, and the HIRO controller pad for my bday. I may not get it until September/October, but it'll give me plenty of time to practice...hopefully. ;)

pkmin3033

That's surprisingly good value, most games in this country are £50 just for one...as if a single game is worth that kind of money ._.

pkmin3033

We have 20% VAT added on to everything, because of course here in England we have to pay tax on goods with pay that has already been taxed, so yeah, everything here is pretty expensive...if you don't shop around, anyway. I can't honestly remember the last time I paid more than £45 ($54) for a game, and usually I don't pay more than £40. Games drop in value pretty quickly too (or at least, AAA titles do, the more obscure games just go up in price after the initial stock sells...) so waiting for a sale is usually a good option.

...this is another reason I am very anti-digital. Digital storefront prices are the same as RRP, and whilst I can understand RRP to a degree - after all, the store selling the game has to make a profit - on the digital store it's just pure corporate greed.

Speaking of greed...there is no way Oninaki is worth £45. Tokyo RPG Factory games have always felt like mid-tier budget at best and free-to-play browser at worst. Pretty disappointed, because it DOES look a little better than their previous efforts...

Cid

Years
    We have 20% VAT added on to everything, because of course here in England we have to pay tax on goods with pay that has already been taxed, so yeah, everything here is pretty expensive...if you don't shop around, anyway. I can't honestly remember the last time I paid more than £45 ($54) for a game, and usually I don't pay more than £40. Games drop in value pretty quickly too (or at least, AAA titles do, the more obscure games just go up in price after the initial stock sells...) so waiting for a sale is usually a good option.

...this is another reason I am very anti-digital. Digital storefront prices are the same as RRP, and whilst I can understand RRP to a degree - after all, the store selling the game has to make a profit - on the digital store it's just pure corporate greed.

Speaking of greed...there is no way Oninaki is worth £45. Tokyo RPG Factory games have always felt like mid-tier budget at best and free-to-play browser at worst. Pretty disappointed, because it DOES look a little better than their previous efforts...
    Yeah I've felt my wallet hurt upon buying digital titles in the past. I definitely prefer physical copies. It's too bad that that's the status quo in England. Although I'd imagine it's the same for a couple of other places in the world as well.

I am unfamiliar with Oninaki and Tokyo RPG Factory games. Are they good?

pkmin3033

Yeah I've felt my wallet hurt upon buying digital titles in the past. I definitely prefer physical copies. It's too bad that that's the status quo in England. Although I'd imagine it's the same for a couple of other places in the world as well.

I am unfamiliar with Oninaki and Tokyo RPG Factory games. Are they good?
    I think Australian prices are pretty high too? Although once you factor in the exchange rates, at the moment it doesn't cost too much more for standard editions of games in the UK than it does the US...most go for £50, which is $61 or so. Some will go for £55. It's more noticeable in things like hardware, with the Switch Lite here costing $245 for some obscene reason. It's when people think that £ = $ that things start to get out of hand.

Well, they're not BAD, but honestly I don't think they're exceptional - they definitely aren't worth full price. They have very interesting concepts, but they don't really capitalise on them in my opinion. I Am Setsuna was an OK game, but it felt quite rushed at times and...there's just something distinctly lower budget about the way these games feel; the visuals, the soundtrack, the game length; all of it. They'd be worth buying for half the price, but considering how expensive games were these days, I don't think they're really up to scratch. There is a demo for Oninaki if you're curious about it, though!

Years
    Honestly, I'm a sucker for even the most generic JRPGs (Xenosaga is one of my favourite game series, after all) so as long as it isn't completely garbage-tier, I don't think Oninaki would put me off too much. That said though, I dunno if I'd pay any more than maybe like $30 for it unless it got glowing reviews from across the web.

Years
    Not sure, seems good value to me but I am a massive fan of the franchise. Just under £17 per game, even if it is only 60fps, 1080p versions of PS3 games I was still expecting them to charge more.

Somebody on here got mad at me for double dipping but I'll probably get the physical release too. That comes with a ps3 case for Yakuza 5 which was digital only back in 2012, pretty big brain move that.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    we have a bunch of copies of super mario 3D world at work and i'm not even GOOD at mario games or any platformer and i'm a fucking goob bc i wanna buy it. why am i like this

pkmin3033

I think Super Mario 3D World gives you an invicibility power-up if you die too many times, so it doesn't matter how much you suck - if it gets too frustrating, you'll have that option if you want to just get through it and move on.

I actually really like that kind of feature, because there is nothing more irritating than being stuck for ages at something that is a little more difficult than everything else in the game, and in a single player game you're playing on your own, it's not like it makes any difference. It's a shame more games don't provide that sort of thing.

Cid

Years
    guys capcom is having a sale and I bought ace attorney dual destinies, spirit of justice, and apollo justice for 3ds and am so excited to play

I'm really happy about this! I've been meaning to play AJ:AA onwards, so I hope I can nab at least that one. I have such a huge backlog though!

pkmin3033

I really enjoyed the second trilogy of AA titles, although not quite as much as the first. The fifth game definitely has the least annoying gimmick - psych evals were pretty interesting actually! - but every AA game has this one chapter which is completely irrelevant to the overarching plot and it's a real struggle to slog through...

Replaying the first trilogy on Switch at the moment (also bought in Capcom sale xD) and also loving it, though! Depending on the price I might pick up Okami and/or one of the Resi games too...£20 isn't a bad price, and it's beeen YEARS since I played the Gamecube Resi games.

Cid

Years
    I really enjoyed the second trilogy of AA titles, although not quite as much as the first. The fifth game definitely has the least annoying gimmick - psych evals were pretty interesting actually! - but every AA game has this one chapter which is completely irrelevant to the overarching plot and it's a real struggle to slog through...

Replaying the first trilogy on Switch at the moment (also bought in Capcom sale xD) and also loving it, though! Depending on the price I might pick up Okami and/or one of the Resi games too...£20 isn't a bad price, and it's beeen YEARS since I played the Gamecube Resi games.
    Yeah sometimes I wish some of the cases were optional, just to not turn off newcomers. I mean when you love the characters it's almost always worth seeing how they react to new situations, no matter how irrelevant to the overarching plot, but filler is still filler.

Ooh I've never beaten a Resident Evil game. All I know is Chris Redfield got really jacked in RE5. I've played Okami but never got to finish it; I love that game and its sequel.

pkmin3033

Yeah sometimes I wish some of the cases were optional, just to not turn off newcomers. I mean when you love the characters it's almost always worth seeing how they react to new situations, no matter how irrelevant to the overarching plot, but filler is still filler.

Ooh I've never beaten a Resident Evil game. All I know is Chris Redfield got really jacked in RE5. I've played Okami but never got to finish it; I love that game and its sequel.
    ...and when that filler takes at least two hours to get through and is 20% of the game...yeaaaah. Still, I'm looking forward to playing through the games without the awful microphone mechanic the DS version had! It took me far longer than it should have to do parts of it because the DS mic is...less than great. Putting it mildly. I really hope they bring 4-6 to the Switch (and other platforms I suppose) within the next year or so; it'd be nice to have the whole series on there. Even if it would mean going through that evidence video fifty thousands times again in AJ, or doing those Divination Seances again in SoJ...

Resi 5 is where the series unironically went to hell in my opinion...that ending effectively killed the series overarching plot, because without the central antagonist there is no real plot. Although I hear good things about Resi 7 and I wouldn't mind giving it a try somewhen.
    You're just about the only person I've ever met who loved Okamiden. From what I've seen it's not the most popular title. xD

Cid

Years
    ...and when that filler takes at least two hours to get through and is 20% of the game...yeaaaah. Still, I'm looking forward to playing through the games without the awful microphone mechanic the DS version had! It took me far longer than it should have to do parts of it because the DS mic is...less than great. Putting it mildly. I really hope they bring 4-6 to the Switch (and other platforms I suppose) within the next year or so; it'd be nice to have the whole series on there. Even if it would mean going through that evidence video fifty thousands times again in AJ, or doing those Divination Seances again in SoJ...

Resi 5 is where the series unironically went to hell in my opinion...that ending effectively killed the series overarching plot, because without the central antagonist there is no real plot. Although I hear good things about Resi 7 and I wouldn't mind giving it a try somewhen.
    You're just about the only person I've ever met who loved Okamiden. From what I've seen it's not the most popular title. xD
    Ooh, I'm glad they removed that mechanic. I got stuck during the first appearance of that mechanic in AJ:AA; and I think the case itself didn't really catch my attention, too.

That's too bad. I'm glad they improved things enough for Resi 7 to be good based on word of mouth. And Chuggaaconroy loves Okamiden!

Years
    I had to go look up what you needed the mic for since I played AJ on the DS (a few years ago) and for the life of me couldn't remember what it was used for....yeah, I definitely don't remember that mechanic. I now recall it being a bit of a pain, but probably not enough of an annoyance for me to remember it, at least not in the "oh god that" way. :T

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Haha yeah I remember having to use the mic for the AJ stuff. I didn't have a big issue with it, I don't think, but it's good that they changed it so it wasn't necessary in later installations iirc.

I've never played Okamiden but I did get Okami for my Switch since I never got to finish the game when I was borrowing it on the PS2. But I really liked it so I definitely want to try to play the game all the way through this time around.

Back