• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Danganronpa

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    so, throughout last year i was getting a friend of mine into ace attorney, one of my longtime favourite franchises and we finally finished the final entry together at the end of the year. the next natural move, in his opinion, was to move to danganronpa, so we played through the whole trilogy together over the last 4 or 5 months, having just finished.

i am blown away with how much i love this series now, i'm so impressed by its use of thematics, especially in V3. the writer(s) behind DR have an incredibly good grasp on how having meaningful theme elements at every corner carries a work from cool and interesting to feeling incredibly holistic and complete.

so who else here has played danganronpa? favourite game in the series, characters, cases? obviously tag spoilers as such, given DR is mystery heavy, but i'd really like to see some discussion going of this incredibly quality franchise i'm surprised it took me this long to find!

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I discovered Danganronpa through an Ace Attorney recommendation as well.

GREAT series. Better than I thought it would be honestly. I've watched the animes as well and even though they aren't as good as the games (though that's always the case and goes without saying) they are still worth watching and actually explain A LOT of things the games don't.

The only thing that severely bothers me about this series is how it introduces you to character you may (or may not) like and kills them off moments later at times.

I've also played all the games. 1-2 Reload, Ultra Despair Girls, and V3. All on the PS4 as well. lol. I didn't Platinum them though. I don't tend to do that unless it's doable for me.

I want more games but I'm not really sure they can do anymore games unfortunately.

RIP this franchise? 😢

pkmin3033

Good series, if you completely ignore the ending of the third game, which basically ruins the entire franchise in the space of about thirty minutes.

That said, I really enjoyed my first play through these games, up to that point. Ultra Despair Girls remains my favourite, though - slightly awkward controls aside, it has the most interesting antagonists, and I found the deviation away from the murder games to explore the wider consequences to be quite interesting!

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Coincidentally, I just got my copy of the PS4 trilogy in the mail. The first game was one of the few Vita games I bought, but I really don't remember too much about so I'll probably play through it again.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Good series, if you completely ignore the ending of the third game, which basically ruins the entire franchise in the space of about thirty minutes.

Understandable. I've seen speculation that it's just an AU or something like that.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 16, 2023
    I've never played Danganronpa, but I've been wanting to play it for quite a while now. Some of my friends like it, and I want to try it.

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Understandable. I've seen speculation that it's just an AU or something like that.

Good series, if you completely ignore the ending of the third game, which basically ruins the entire franchise in the space of about thirty minutes.

That said, I really enjoyed my first play through these games, up to that point. Ultra Despair Girls remains my favourite, though - slightly awkward controls aside, it has the most interesting antagonists, and I found the deviation away from the murder games to explore the wider consequences to be quite interesting!

i don't want to drag the thread too heavily into spoiler territory but i'll say that i think V3's ending is actually genius and just requires a little bit of interpretation and thematic analysis to see why it shines but if you get it, you'll find that it's incredibly well constructed and imo a natural progression for the kind of fourth-wall breaking funnies the earlier games pull. just my 2 cents tho!

I've never played Danganronpa, but I've been wanting to play it for quite a while now. Some of my friends like it, and I want to try it.

i highly recommend it! to be honest i've really not heard anyone try it and not like it, and within the first chapter of the first game you will have a very good handle on how the series will be from that point on, so it's easy to decide if you want to continue. have you ever played any similar games like Ace Attorney or Ghost Trick, or even just other visual novels?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm just curious to hear why people liked or didn't like the ending of V3. I've always had my thoughts on why people might like/not like it, but I'd like to hear it from those people themselves rather than just forever speculating.

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
    Years
  • Just in case there are people who seen this thread and haven't finished it, so I'll put most of it on the spoiler, V3's end is definitely divisive to the fandom and yes it's a detriment to the series that would've been a 9+/10 in my books. The rest... Don't see it if you haven't finished V3 or have the interest to play the game somewhere down the line.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Nymphadora

Gift of the Nymphs
    Years
  • I'm a fan of a lot of the characters throughout the series. It's kinda hard to hate a lot of them, especially in like NG+ or the "Classroom life" where you learn more about the characters. Hard to believe the series is 10 years old now!!

Back