• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Danielle's Art Topic V2!

Danielle The Great

Why be smooth?
    Years
    • MA
    • Seen Aug 16, 2015
    I didn't want to bump my old art topic.

This isn't against the rules or anything, right? Cause I read the rules a few times...

ANYWAYS, that being said, here's some of my most recent art:

https://daniellethegreat.deviantart.com/art/ID-LET-ME-OUT-ALREADY-136743198 (My dA ID)
    https://daniellethegreat.deviantart.com/art/Serprantic-137153099 (Legendary form of Milotic for a contest, it's supposed to be bigger, yes)
    https://daniellethegreat.deviantart.com/art/isabelhappyplz-136936216 (I don't know what I was thinking)
    https://daniellethegreat.deviantart.com/art/Pichii-New-OC-137562555 (An OC I made because I finally gained a Volt Tackle Pichu on Emerald)
    https://daniellethegreat.deviantart.com/art/The-Evil-Treecko-138140580 (An OC for a hack I never made)
    https://daniellethegreat.deviantart.com/art/Isabel-and-Pichii-138295044
    https://daniellethegreat.deviantart.com/art/My-first-Drawing-138332521 (ACTUAL HUMAN PROPORTIONS OH NOES)

AND FINALLY, I GOT PHOTOSHOP CS4! SO NOW I CAN DO OTHER DIGITAL ART! YAY!

https://daniellethegreat.deviantart.com/art/Paul-Desktop-138556616 (Yes, I know I got Paul's design completely wrong... yes.)

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I think for the 2nd to last one you should make the tail look as if it's an actual tail. By that I mean you first make it fatter and then get thinner towards the bottom

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2010
    well, the second to last one is definatly my favorite of all of these. Shame you didn't make pichiis black parts completely black, the rest fo the colouring looks so vibrant it makes his black bits just look messy. That niggle aside, I really do like this one of yours; it's imaginitive and you are definatly showing signs of improvementl.

Your new human propertions are interesting. you still have a long way to go, but it's good to see you working on it! 8D I look forward to seeing more once you've got more used to proportions and had more time to experiment and get better with them! :)

Keep up the good work! 8D

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I thought I should warn you: What I'm about to say is incredibly harsh and you may find it a bit. . Hurtful (no insults directly at you, of course). So read at your own discretion.

Although I see potential, I don't see you trying hard enough. Personally, I have an extreme dislike of your drawing style overall. The lines are too big and the colors look to saturated. There's almost no shading and, when there is, you can't differentiate one color from another (a big mistake that even I have made) (with the exception of your Legendary form Milotic which has nice colors) and you have no clue what the anatomical structure of a human should look like. I bet if you tried to, you could make a nicely done picture instead of this crap.

Now, for the first one, the left leg seems like it just popped up out of nowhere. There is no indication that it ever was attached to her hip in the first place. And that's not the only issue, either. The knee is too pointed, the hair is too flat against the head, and the shoulders are way too small. She looks like a lollipop - big head, stick body. XD And don't even get me started on those small golf balls you call feet.

The second one. . I barely know what that is. It's like a snake on weed or something. Its body isn't even the same size on one side as it is on the other. The tail needs to start slimming down as well and can't even be half the width of the body once it gets to the very end. This proves that you didn't look at a reference when drawing the snake. =/ You should use a reference, especially when you're just starting out drawing a certain animal or body part.

The third one is definitely not good either. Again, the hair is too flat against the head and the bangs (I suppose they're bangs XD) look like they're just floating in the air.

For the fourth one, did you even bother with a Pichu render? If you did, you didn't look at it hard enough. The Pichu's body is too big firstly, it looks like it's been over-eating. Its back feet are also too big and should be about the same size as the front legs. The ears, on the other hand, need to be much bigger. As for the Volt Tackle itself, it's atrocious. It looks more like Pichii is trying to go Super Seiyan or something. =/ However, the face looks just fine. Cute even.

Okay, the fifth one is kind of hard to look at. The coloring is terrible. Not only that, but it's wrong. The tail should be darker than the body and the stomach should be red, not yellow/green. The front paws are all wrong and the fingers are too small. Treecko's fingers are chubby and round. The tail sticks straight out as well and is very fat. Lastly, the head is too big.

Oi, the sixth one. The human's head is round like a tomato, too. But I'll move on since I'll be repeating what I said about your other humans. X.x

I don't think you actually drew 'actual human proportions', dude. The shoulders are too small. Way, way, way too small. The hands look just terrible. I'm seriously at a loss for words right about now. @~@ And the coloring is all kinds of outside the lines. . But I've got good news! After seeing your drawings, I feel like I should make tutorials more often. =3

I'm afraid to see what you did to my Shinji, but I'll look anyway. . TT~TT Oi vey. ._. Errr. . Well. . *cough* What can I say? The proportions are terrible, the hair is too flat against the head, et cetera, et cetera. . Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go look at a different picture of Shinji and admire him. Get this picture out of my mind.​

Danielle The Great

Why be smooth?
    Years
    • MA
    • Seen Aug 16, 2015
    *looks away from comment because of the warning* Thanks for the warning.

Also, thanks for reminding me:

I AM YOUNGER THAN MOST ARTISTS! I'm ONLY 13 years old, while other better artists are MUCH older than me. Also the fact I started drawing well only 3 years ago.

I'd appreciate comments that are not too harsh, but not too goody-goody either. I still have a lot to improve on and I really don't need harsh critiques, even if they DO say the specific things.

Last edited:

LEXAcide

That 1 Guy
    Years
    I thought I should warn you: What I'm about to say is incredibly harsh and you may find it a bit. . Hurtful (no insults directly at you, of course). So read at your own discretion.

Although I see potential, I don't see you trying hard enough. Personally, I have an extreme dislike of your drawing style overall. The lines are too big and the colors look to saturated. There's almost no shading and, when there is, you can't differentiate one color from another (a big mistake that even I have made) (with the exception of your Legendary form Milotic which has nice colors) and you have no clue what the anatomical structure of a human should look like. I bet if you tried to, you could make a nicely done picture instead of this crap.

Now, for the first one, the left leg seems like it just popped up out of nowhere. There is no indication that it ever was attached to her hip in the first place. And that's not the only issue, either. The knee is too pointed, the hair is too flat against the head, and the shoulders are way too small. She looks like a lollipop - big head, stick body. XD And don't even get me started on those small golf balls you call feet.

The second one. . I barely know what that is. It's like a snake on weed or something. Its body isn't even the same size on one side as it is on the other. The tail needs to start slimming down as well and can't even be half the width of the body once it gets to the very end. This proves that you didn't look at a reference when drawing the snake. =/ You should use a reference, especially when you're just starting out drawing a certain animal or body part.

The third one is definitely not good either. Again, the hair is too flat against the head and the bangs (I suppose they're bangs XD) look like they're just floating in the air.

For the fourth one, did you even bother with a Pichu render? If you did, you didn't look at it hard enough. The Pichu's body is too big firstly, it looks like it's been over-eating. Its back feet are also too big and should be about the same size as the front legs. The ears, on the other hand, need to be much bigger. As for the Volt Tackle itself, it's atrocious. It looks more like Pichii is trying to go Super Seiyan or something. =/ However, the face looks just fine. Cute even.

Okay, the fifth one is kind of hard to look at. The coloring is terrible. Not only that, but it's wrong. The tail should be darker than the body and the stomach should be red, not yellow/green. The front paws are all wrong and the fingers are too small. Treecko's fingers are chubby and round. The tail sticks straight out as well and is very fat. Lastly, the head is too big.

Oi, the sixth one. The human's head is round like a tomato, too. But I'll move on since I'll be repeating what I said about your other humans. X.x

I don't think you actually drew 'actual human proportions', dude. The shoulders are too small. Way, way, way too small. The hands look just terrible. I'm seriously at a loss for words right about now. @~@ And the coloring is all kinds of outside the lines. . But I've got good news! After seeing your drawings, I feel like I should make tutorials more often. =3

I'm afraid to see what you did to my Shinji, but I'll look anyway. . TT~TT Oi vey. ._. Errr. . Well. . *cough* What can I say? The proportions are terrible, the hair is too flat against the head, et cetera, et cetera. . Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go look at a different picture of Shinji and admire him. Get this picture out of my mind.​

you are pretty straight forward. I truly respect that. no lie.

Danielle The Great

Why be smooth?
    Years
    • MA
    • Seen Aug 16, 2015
    Okay, fine. Just read SL's comment. Much MUCH worse of a critique than I thought. And I broke on the floor laughing at how terrible it was. XD

But, I'll say my feelings in a few words:

"I feel like I should make tutorials more often"

And I think you should shut up more often.

=)

(*hi)

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2009
    Time for a more happy, positive version of Shinji's post.

Because I'm such a big fan of the wall-o-text-paragraph-by-paragraph posting method, I cannot resist bouncing some things off of ShinjisLover's behemoth of a post. I'd be delighted if ShinjisLover or Danielle reply to this so I can hear what you think. So without further ado, let's get rollin':

Let me just respond to this first part with a little opinion [emphasis on that word] I have on "art styles." I'm just gonna lay this down right now: I don't think beginner artists have art styles. They don't have a style of their own, and I look down upon the concept of a beginner [myself included] claiming to draw in a certain style.

The first reason is that a beginner does not have enough experience or skill to actually claim they have their own unique style. For example, being bad is not a style. That's just being bad. The best thing for a beginner to do to get started off is to experiment with different styles, and try to pick and choose a few, maybe combine them, and just try to mimic them and learn from them.

Second reason I dislike beginners associating with "art styles" is that it will become the eternal excuse for anything that looks bad. Eyes too big? "But that's my style!" Arms not proportional? "But that's my style!" If that's not the excuse, it's otherwise defended with "But I'm trying to do manga/anime style!"

Now, are the lines usually thick? Sure. Are the colors usually saturated? You bet. Is there sometimes a lack of shading? Indeed. I'd argue that the medium has to do more with this than the style. I know that Danielle uses markers a lot, which I'll admit I know nothing about [so point out if I'm wrong], but naturally markers are very saturated, and very thick if you do your inks with them. I understand that doesn't excuse the digital work, but it's a reasonable excuse.

Now I'm gonna skip most of the picture-by-picture critiques because I don't have much to say. Are they harsh? A bit. Are they true? Mostly. So let's just move right along onto something positive.

I felt a bit disappointed that you practically skipped over the 6th one. Reason being that it's, in my opinion, pretty good and amongst her best. I'm very curious as to whether you agree, Shinji, and this does beg the question of whether you breezed over it BECAUSE of the lack of negative things to say.

I had similar thoughts about the human proportions thing, but still viewed it as a good effort. It shows that she is definitely aware that most of her drawings are extremely far from being realistic, and she atleast tried to do more realistic proportions. First off I don't think exact human proportions is something you should get hung up over [most artists these days don't do it anyway] and plus it's the type of thing you need to take art classes to learn.

Alright, now to go a bit off from your structure here. I'm just gonna lay down the law right here and speak from experience:

Art, like other fields of interest [but possibly more so], is fueled by motivation. Nobody is going to force themselves to draw, and nobody is going to be forced to. Thus, the only drive keeping an artist going is usually how fun it is. This especially applies to beginners, not so much college students and professionals.

Learning to draw is hard, it's a fact. The main ingredient to getting better is being enthusiastic and practicing. As crazy as this might sound, for most beginner artists, their enthusiasm and amount of practicing will lower dramatically depending on how much harsh criticsm is thrown at them, depending on the artist. What would your motivation be to share your drawings if you're going to be told it's horrible each time?

And one last thing. Tutorials do not automatically make an artist better. I'll admit I'm generalizing and being biased because I myself don't learn well from tutorials, but I think it's reasonable to assume that the tutorials itself don't make people better. It's the practice. And the things they learn from other people could just as well be learned from just looking at their drawings and mimicing them.

Sorry my post's so long. I guess I could understand if someone's too lazy to read it.

EDIT: I do want to re-state that I do agree with a lot of Shinji's specific critiques and don't think that they're wrong. I'm also not implying that you should never just straight out tell the truth, I'm just saying a lot of beginners get really upset over it.

Oh and Shinji, that last part of your post was pretty unnecessary, and probably had no effect aside from negative ones. So...way to go there.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I'd just like to say my definition of 'style' is not the way things are proportioned, rather it's the way things are colored and the thickness of the lines. And it's not really my place to stalk people and figure out their age to say whether or not I should give them a harsh critique. If you post in this forum, I'm bound to come to you eventually. Will I make you feel bad? Possibly. But I really couldn't care less. You and many others need the critique or you will never improve. If people keep giving out fake compliments, that artist will never go anywhere.

I felt a bit disappointed that you practically skipped over the 6th one. Reason being that it's, in my opinion, pretty good and amongst her best. I'm very curious as to whether you agree, Shinji, and this does beg the question of whether you breezed over it BECAUSE of the lack of negative things to say.
    No, I went over it because I would have said the same exact things. That is exactly what I said and, as you saw, I speak what I mean and mean what I speak. And, trust me, I disliked that picture as much as I disliked the rest.

What would your motivation be to share your drawings if you're going to be told it's horrible each time?
    The problem with that logic is I have been told my drawings were terrible before. All it did was make me try harder to get better. People in general are just too sensitive and, when a harsh critic comes along, that person is automatically rude or inconsiderate. I'm really only doing this in each artists best interest or, like I said, they will never improve.

Tutorials do not automatically make an artist better.
    I never did say that, now did I? Tutorials are just used as a point of reference and they vastly help artists. I even saw some tutorials and I automatically saw improvement in the next two or three drawings. Big improvement.

Oh and Shinji, that last part of your post was pretty unnecessary, and probably had no effect aside from negative ones. So...way to go there.
    Like I said, I don't care if I hurt someone's feelings. That's the price you pay for posting your artwork online and people just need to get over it. Not everyone's going to tell you your drawings are perfect or amazing. People will come along who tell you you're an awful artist. Be thankful I was more encouraging in the 'you have potential' part and I didn't say 'you suck; don't ever draw again' like some people do.​

Danielle The Great

Why be smooth?
    Years
    • MA
    • Seen Aug 16, 2015
    Pixel I love you.

@SL: A more positive way of my post.

There are ways to make criticism into positive critique. It isn't just saying it's bad, even WITH saying what you dislike about it.

Let me take an example of one of your *coughFREAKINGCRAPPYcough* Critiques.

"I'm afraid to see what you did to my Shinji, but I'll look anyway. . TT~TT Oi vey. ._. Errr. . Well. . *cough* What can I say? The proportions are terrible, the hair is too flat against the head, et cetera, et cetera. . Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go look at a different picture of Shinji and admire him. Get this picture out of my mind."

A nicer way to say it would be:
    "Um, this picture isn't as great as other pictures of Shinji (in my opinion). I dislike it because *whatever you said*... And I think those things can be improved. Keep trying and you'll get better. ;3"

Another thing. If you ever look at one's art piece and disliked it, why look at the others? They probably haven't changed their style in 3 days. =/

It doesn't matter if you think it's horrible. You need to keep it to yourself if you have something not nice to say.

Also, FYI I'm the best artist in my class, even my classmates say I am. And I feel that too. Everyone else in my class SUCKS.

One last thing.

I now can tell you really love Shinji. Because you get his personality from him.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2009
    Thanks for the reply. I've been refreshing the page feverishly. I'm gonna try and keep this as far away from a generic internet flame war as possible. It didn't start out too bad, I just don't want it to devolve any further.

A bit random but I was at least wondering if you saw what I meant about the color and line thickness being because of the fact she uses markers. I myself don't like markers and don't use them, so I was wondering if you had any suggestions on what she could do to fix those problems short of "Stop using markers." (Though, to be totally honest, "Stop using markers" would be my advice. I'm a bit uninventive.)

I knew it was gonna come to this, but there's no denying the elephant in the living room. All art critic threads for beginner artists, at their core, usually boil down to an argument about how harsh a critic should be.

Now maybe it wasn't clear enough in my post because I was trying to be nice to Danielle, but I agree with you. Harsh critique tops over soft critique every day of the week, no doubt about it. I also agree that most beginners these days are too soft and can't take a single criticsm without crying and quitting. I agree that people need to tough up and take criticsm like a mature person. I'm also not gonna lecture you about caring about people's feelings, because 1. it's none of my business and 2. you have a point, this is the internet, and this is not a place for softening punches. I really don't blame you for not pulling your punches [in a way], because who likes to censor themselves, right?

Now here comes the big however. HOWEVER: As much as I agree with your philosophy and wish people could take criticsm more, that doesn't magically change the fact that most people unfortunately don't work that way. I used to be all for the 100% painful truth method, but then I changed my mind through my own experience. I get harsh criticsm all the time. I also, from time to time, get the bland positive comments like "That's awesome, you're awesome!" by people who know nothing about art.

I honestly can't tell you which one is worse. The harsh criticsm, IF SPECIFIC, [which, by the way, you did a very good job of] is very helpful in making me better. Unfortunately it takes a few shots at my self-esteem. I'm sorry I must admit I'm not a robot and do have feelings, but that's just how I work. The blandly positive ones, on the other hand, are completely useless, but they stroke my ego quite well [depending on how good of a liar they are].

Another thing about criticsm. When trying to teach anyone about anything, be it an artist how to draw or a dog on how to behave properly, positive reinforcement is just as effective as negative consequences. Giving a dog a treat for obeying a command is just as effective as yelling at a dog for being bad, and it still works for humans too. That's why it's a good idea to find things that atleast have potential and praise beginners for them. I know you did this to an extent, but I'm saying it anyway. Now, I know you're gonna say "What if there really isn't anything good?" and I really have no idea what to do then. I guess it's going to boil down to personal taste of the critic at that point.

Like I said, I'm a beginner myself and I feel down when I'm bombarded with negative feedback. I know it's immature and I wish I didn't, but I do. Now, you say you don't. I believe you. Some people are more sensitive as others. You, on one hand, are clearly tough as nails and nothing can hold you down. Other people either aren't as mature and get all whiney if they are criticized, and other people aren't necessarily immature, they just have a low self-esteem [like me.] There's nothing you, or I, can do about it. I, personally, as a critic, try to atleast somewhat take into an account how badly a beginner will take negative feedback because I'd feel guilty if I single-handedly made them give up. You, on the other hand, are completely apathetic to whether they quit, but I'm not gonna lecture you about that choice.

Again, there's some truth to the "this is the internet" thing, but most people would probably agree that that philosophy IS what makes the internet such a horrible place. And you do have a point, you weren't that bad, it's true. Your critique was actually specific, which is the deciding factor. Your posts do have a small stink of arrogance to them, but I believe that if anyone gets really upset about that, they're either overly sensitive or they're just not built for the internet.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Another thing about criticsm. When trying to teach anyone about anything, be it an artist how to draw or a dog on how to behave properly, positive reinforcement is just as effective as negative consequences. Giving a dog a treat for obeying a command is just as effective as yelling at a dog for being bad, and it still works for humans too. That's why it's a good idea to find things that atleast have potential and praise beginners for them. I know you did this to an extent, but I'm saying it anyway. Now, I know you're gonna say "What if there really isn't anything good?" and I really have no idea what to do then. I guess it's going to boil down to personal taste of the critic at that point.
    I usually do give positive reinforcement. For animals. For humans, not so much. Why? Because humans can suck it up better. At least they should be able to. If they can't, they shouldn't be on the Internet in the first place.

Again, there's some truth to the "this is the internet" thing, but most people would probably agree that that philosophy IS what makes the internet such a horrible place. And you do have a point, you weren't that bad, it's true. Your critique was actually specific, which is the deciding factor. Your posts do have a small stink of arrogance to them, but I believe that if anyone gets really upset about that, they're either overly sensitive or they're just not built for the internet.
    I, personally, don't see the arrogance in my critique. I never say 'Oh, you should do it the way I do it' or 'Wow, I'm way better than you at drawing' because even I know I suck.

Another thing. If you ever look at one's art piece and disliked it, why look at the others? They probably haven't changed their style in 3 days. =/

It doesn't matter if you think it's horrible. You need to keep it to yourself if you have something not nice to say.
    I usually always critique every piece of work I see (unless, of course, they are absolutely terrible and hurt my eyes so bad I narrow it down to two or three works (I guess that's a compliment to you; at least your art was bearable, which is more than I can say for others' works)). That's just the kind of critic I am.

As for the whole 'nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself' thing, I always say what's on my mind regardless of others' feelings. If they can't handle it, that's not my fault. That's just the kind of person I am.

I now can tell you really love Shinji. Because you get his personality from him.
    I get that a lot.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2009
    Exactly. They SHOULD be able to. But they sadly don't.

Also, aside from motivation I also meant giving them specific positive reinforcement so that they know what they did right so that they keep doing it. I mean I guess you can say "Assume anything I don't say sucks is good" but that's kind've vague.

By arrogance I was specifically referring to you saying that because you think she's bad, it gives you a good reason to make more tutorials [which I assume you enjoy.] I was also referring to "I'm afraid to see what you did to my Shinji", because we all know it's YOUR Shinji, am I right?

But I'll admit, that's just me being nitpicky, so I kinda regret saying it at all. I'm not here to pretend I'm better than you or anything.

I admire your sense of critiquing every work you see and trying to help in the artist's best interest. Unfortunately, amongst beginners, I'm probably in a small minority that would admire what you do. I'm guessing you get hostile responses often?

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    By arrogance I was specifically referring to you saying that because you think she's bad, it gives you a good reason to make more tutorials [which I assume you enjoy.] I was also referring to "I'm afraid to see what you did to my Shinji", because we all know it's YOUR Shinji, am I right?
    I just love to make tutorials. It helps me improve and helps others improve. I don't necessarily say it to sound cocky (but I admit this is sometimes the case. In this case, it wasn't). But I understand how, even in some cases when I'm not being arrogant, it makes me sound as such. Not like I care, though; I mean, people already think that.

I just like reminding people. =3 But I don't see what's arrogant about that.

I admire your sense of critiquing every work you see and trying to help in the artist's best interest. Unfortunately, amongst beginners, I'm probably in a small minority that would admire what you do. I'm guessing you get hostile responses often?
    I used to get terrible replies back when I first started out, but I guess people got used to me being around or something.​

Danielle The Great

Why be smooth?
    Years
    • MA
    • Seen Aug 16, 2015
    ...Okay, I'm getting a getting out of hand right now.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION
    I just joined this forum. I haven't made much friends here yet, and I haven't gotten to know people here. And it's my mistake that I posted an art topic too soon before I got to know how cruel you were. If I knew how cruel you were, why would I post an art topic here? =/

Simple. I like getting critiques. But your criticism was a little... out of hand.

Also, another FYI.

I'm betting than most people in my school. I like drawing. I know a ton of people my age who like drawing, but are just not that great at it.
    Another reason I am better is because I use *don't say "lulz it doesn't seem like it"* professional tools.
    I use a Wacom Cintiq instead of a computer mouse, I use Photoshop CS4 instead of MS Paint (And I don't care how good you can do with MS paint, that isn't really that point)

Heck, I even use COPIC MARKERS! And prismacolor.
    I keep forgetting to use the right paper, so my coloring gets smudged. *really needs to know different kinds of paper...*

One last thing. Good news! When I get Flash, if I do, and when I get used to it, I'm gonna start posting Flashes!

Edit: Forgot one thing.

" That's just the kind of person I am."

Another way to say that would be:

THAT'S JUST THE WAY I AM~~~ I DO IT JUST BECAUSE I CAN~~~

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I'd just like to say that you are totally reading things that aren't there.

I just joined this forum. I haven't made much friends here yet, and I haven't gotten to know people here. And it's my mistake that I posted an art topic too soon before I got to know how cruel you were. If I knew how cruel you were, why would I post an art topic here? =/

Simple. I like getting critiques. But your criticism was a little... out of hand.
    Be thankful my criticism was actually helpful instead of what some people on other sites may have said. I'll give you an example of what I've seen before:
    "mi GOD u suck!!!11 dont ever draw agin!!!111"
    "go die, u suck!"

I'm betting than most people in my school. I like drawing. I know a ton of people my age who like drawing, but are just not that great at it.
    Another reason I am better is because I use *don't say "lulz it doesn't seem like it"* professional tools.
    I use a Wacom Cintiq instead of a computer mouse, I use Photoshop CS4 instead of MS Paint (And I don't care how good you can do with MS paint, that isn't really that point)
    It's not the tools you use, it's how you use the tools.

And I wouldn't comment on how I could do something that you couldn't do something. Why would I do that? Besides, I can't use MS Paint for anything besides the occasional sprite fusion.

Edit: Forgot one thing.

" That's just the kind of person I am."

Another way to say that would be:

THAT'S JUST THE WAY I AM~~~ I DO IT JUST BECAUSE I CAN~~~
    No, believe it or not, saying it's the kind of person I am is just like warning you that it's the kind of person I am. I'm telling you that I speak my mind and, if you can't handle that, then stay away from me. You could have requested me not to post here.

You're going to get comments that are worse than mine, so get over it.​

Danielle The Great

Why be smooth?
    Years
    • MA
    • Seen Aug 16, 2015
    Okay, 5 things.

1: I AM reading the things you're posting here. I just don't have the time/I'm too lazy to reply to everything.
    2: Helpful criticism isn't always the best criticism out there. For example, if someone posted "you post crap b/c ___", that wouldn't be encouraging to the artist. Encouraging critiques, however, will inspire the artist to keep making art.
    3: That wasn't my point. I use more, better tools than others in my class, thus I am more dedicated to my art and spend more time into it.
    4: ♩♩Hey you, what're gonna do? Get outta my way, cause the girls coming through~ I'm proud, I'll say it out loud, never sitting in, staying out from the crowd~♪♪
    ...If you don't know, I'm actually posting lyrics from "That's Just The Way I Am" by Angel. So I can get this outta my head.
    5: Although it seems like it, I'm not getting offended by any of this ;D

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2009
    "Encouraging advice" only motivates you to draw more and thus hopefully you get better on your own. It doesn't directly make you better like specific advice [positive or negative] does.

I would also advise not to get too hung up on the materials you use. Lately I've mostly just been using a number 2 pencil and a 5.5x8.5 sketchbook, and yet with those simple tools I maintain a daily comic in my school for encouragement and criticsm. Forcing myself to atleast do it for half a school year or a full one, I expect to grow leaps and bounds in skill with it.

You can always try drawing without color and see how that goes.

Back