• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dark and Steel Deck

Years
    Hello everyone!

So I decided to come here and request some helpful tips and strategies for my main Pokemon deck. It started off as a starter deck (steel and dark from Next Destinies I believe) and I slowly morphed and changed it over the months. It's more of a casual deck that I play with my friends with, however I am open to suggestions and the like.

-Pokemon-
    Steel:
    Beldum x1
    Beldum x1
    Metang x2
    Metagross x1
    Aron x2
    Aron x1
    Lairon x1
    Lairon x1
    Aggron EX x1
    Cobalion x1
    Bronzor x1
    Bronzong x1
    Pawniard x1
    Bisharp x1
    Skarmory x1
    Mawile x1

Dark:
    Eevee x2
    Umbreon x1
    Umbreon x1
    Sneasel x1
    Weavile x1
    Zorua x1
    Zoroark x1

Colorless:
    Kangaskhan x1
    Kecleon x1

Trainers:
    Roseanne's Research x1
    Team Galactic's Mars x1
    Interviewer's Questions x2
    Switch x2
    Super Rod x1
    Pokemon Communication x1
    Rocky Helmet
    Battle City x1
    Full Heal x1
    Sage's Training x1
    Cheren x1

Energy:
    Metal x9
    Metal Energy x1
    Metal Energy x1
    Dark Energy x5
    Darkness Energy x1
    Upper Energy x1
    Warp Energy x1

I tried my best to organize it as best I could. Also I realize while listing my deck that it's pretty much a mess. Soooo yeahh, any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Years
    I see a lot of Pokemon that there are just one copy of. I'd eliminate some evolution lines and focus on just 4 or 5 evolution lines, bulking up the numbers of those lines (but since you probably don't have more than 1 of a lot of these, you'd want to do that very gradually).

I also see a need for a lot more Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums. In particular, 3 more Roseanne's Research and 4 Bebe's Search (a card that is very similar to Pokemon Communication, but is a Supporter and lets you swap ANY card from your hand for a Pokemon in your deck). A good T/S/S spread would be 20-25, maybe more. For adding to your T/S/S spread, take away from your Pokemon totals.

My suggestions won't make this deck tournament legal in the slightest, since neither of the two trainers I recommended have been tournament legal since June 2011, but I assume you're not looking to make a tournament legal deck.

Years
    Thank you for the overview and recommendations. Are supporters better than regular Trainer Cards?

So you're saying I should have more Trainers/Supporters and a bit less Pokemon? I was thinking of removing some evolution lines however I'm not sure which to focus on. I would like to focus on Metagross and Aggron preferably, and Cobalion as well (his second move is pretty beastly IMO).

What other suggestions do you have and are there other cards I should sought after?

Also, where can I find what's legal in a tournament deck? I'm just curious.

Years
    Supporters (which are called Trainer: Supporter in the Black & White sets) generally have better effects than Trainers (which are called Trainer: Item in the Black & White sets), but, as stated on all Supporter cards, you can only use one Supporter per turn.

I don't have any other suggestions in my head at the moment, but I'm not exactly in a TCG-mindset at the moment.

I've compiled a list of tournament legal sets here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=265503

That will change in August after the 2012 World Tournament, though.

Years
    Ah okay. Yeah I get the difference between Supporters and Item, I just wasn't sure why the preference of one over the other, but I think I get the idea now.

I think I'll focus more on Steel type Pokemon in my deck, slowly budding out the dark. One question though; would it be in my best interest to replace a majority of my steel energy with the metal energy (reduces 10 damage if equipped to steel Pokemon) ? Or do they fall under the 4 card limit rule? And does the 10 damage reduction stack? For instance, if I had 4 equipped to my Aggron would he take 40 less damage?

Thanks for the link and all the help.

Years
    I agree with donavannj I would try to narrow it down to a few evolution lines I would suggest running only one 2 evolution lines like Aron's line for example. Here is the changes that I made to your deck that I hope you like and its all up to you if u want to try these changes out.

Pokemon-

Steel:
    Aron x2
    Lairon x2
    Aggron Ex x2
    Cobalion
    Pawniard x2
    Bisharp x2
    Durant x3

Dark:
    Sableye x2
    Zorua x2
    Zoroark x2

Trainers:
    Roseannne's Research x2
    Team Galactic's Mars
    Interviewer's Questions x2/Cilan x2
    Switch x2
    Pokemon Communications x3
    Rocky Helmet x2
    Battle City
    Sage's Training
    Cheren x2
    Level Ball x2
    Heavy Ball

Energy:
    Metal Energy x 10
    Darkness Energy x8
    Double Colorless x2

Years
    I agree with donavannj I would try to narrow it down to a few evolution lines I would suggest running only one 2 evolution lines like Aron's line for example. Here is the changes that I made to your deck that I hope you like and its all up to you if u want to try these changes out.

Spoiler:

Wow! That's some drastic changes. Unfortunately I only have 1 Aggron EX which I pulled from a pack. Getting another would require immense luck or if someone sold it. If I may ask, why did you choose Sableye and Durant? The Durant I have don't seem to be very good, but I'm probably missing something here.

Also what about the Special Metal and Darkness Energy?

Years
    I wonder which Sableye they mean (could they mean the one with the Overeager PokeBody?). I do think I know which Durant they're referring to, though. It's one that has an attack that causes your opponent to discard the top few cards of their deck.

As for the Special energies, you could try putting them in there, but they wouldn't be as easy to retrieve from your deck as the Basic energies would be, so you might have trouble getting the energy cards when you need them.

Years
    I'm referring to the Sableye from Dark Explorers which can help you with some recovery with your item cards and yes Durant that as the attack Devour which can be a big problem.

To help u let me put this way if u do get lucky and draw all four of your Durants place one as your active pokemon then bench the others, then attach a Metal Energy to your active Durant okay then use the Devour attack which cause your opponent to Mill 4 cards and if by any chance they do knock out one of your Durant place one of the other Durants and repeat the process.

So I hope this little explanation will help you out in the future and the reason I chose Sableye and Durant they are both good basic pokemon to have IMO but do help out the deck so that your deck can have a little bit of strategy going on.

Last edited:
    Back