• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dark Pulse's Lesson in Stalling!

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
Years
ok, this isn't actually a "lesson" - but i've used this team I made (with the help of Pikajew2 from Smogon) and it works very well. so, check it out! my first Singles RMT (all the others are doubles)

My team at a glance:
gliscor.png
tentacruel.png
swampert.png
499.png
breloom.png
blissey-f.png

In -depth Analysis:
Gliscor.png

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Veil
EV's: 252 HP, 4 DEF, 252 Speed
Moves:
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Roost
U-turn

Gliscor and Tentacruel both work very well together, and cuold be used here as a double battle lead, if that were to happen, i would swap U-turn with Taunt.

tentacruel.png

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EV's: 252 HP, 120 DEF, 136 SDEF
Moves:
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Surf
HP Fire

I chose HP fire here to assist Gliscor - Gliscor has a 4x weakness to Ice, so as a result, a fire attack on a partner helps heaps, i was consiering Giga Drain to fight water-types (which are more common), but that one move needs themost help
Heat%20Rotom.png

Rotom (H) @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 HP, 170 DEF, 88 Speed
Moves:
Overheat
Will-o-wisp
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball

Defensive Rotom-H, not much to say here

swampert_display.png

Swampert @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant/Relaxed
Ability: Torrent
EV's: 252 HP, 252 ATK/DEF, 4 SDEF
Moves:
Waterfall
Avalanche
Earthquake
Curse/Stone edge

Now, Swampert can go either way here, i could use him as a physical wall, or as a physical attacker, i need some help here, either way

blissey.png

Blissey @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Natural Cure
EV's: 252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 SDEF
Moves:
Wish
Softboiled
Toxic
Seismic toss

Aah, WishBliss, never get's old, does she? you know the drill here

breloom.png

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Poison Heal
EV's: 12 HP, 252 ATK, 244 Speed
Moves:
Leech Seed
Substitute
Spore
Focus Punch

Most people here would say "Why not seed bomb?" "why leech seed?" - well i tell you,with poison heal, and a leech seed to boot, Breloom gets +25% heal EACH TURN!!! - this means Breloom can Substitute very safely.

well that's my team! please, if you wish to critisize, please make it Constructive Critisism - I hate people saying "this is bad" "drop this" "you'll never win one battle with this team!" - well, if that's true, PROVE IT!!! what can improve on this team?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Yeah, Leech Seed also means your Breloom gets completely walled by Ghost types.

._.

Also, I don't really think HP Fire on Tentacruel does anything. I could almost swear more Ice-type moves are on non-Ice Pokemon than Ice Pokemon. Hidden Power Electric for Water-types might be more effective. :| HP Electric > Giga Drain by miles, btw; more PP, more power, etc.

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2011
First of all, if you are leading with Gliscor, taunt is a necessity, to stop SR/ spikes leads.
second, HP fire on tentacruel really does you no good. Besides, you already get fire coverage from rotom, use HP electric.
Thirdly, just as ninja caterpie said, your breloom gets walled completely by ghosts, replace leech seed for either seed bomb or stone edge.
Lastly, stall teams heavily rely on entry hazards, you definatly need a spiker. I don't know who you want to replace. Possibly breloom considering you already have physical coverage, courtesy of swampert.

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2011
t spikes isn't enough because it can easily be absorbed.

And to answer your question, if you are going to ditch breloom, keep swampy offensive, if you are keeping breloom ditch swampy for a spiker. Forretress posssibly?

Years
Toxic spikes are ok on there own with stealth rock; you just need to support it correctly.

When making a team around toxic spikes you need to apply your strategy to making sure your opponent is staying in for as long as possible and you taking very minimal or no damage. This is why spikes would help even more as teams would be less likely to switch if they knew they were about to lose 25% health.

I think you should change Breloom as it isn't the best abuser of Toxic spikes (though it is quite good) Instead i think you should use tormenttran who benefits a lot from toxic spikes being on the field. Another pokemon that you could use in that slot could be Calm mind Jirachi to help clean up, giving it wish, calm mind and two attacks allow you to boost and heal as your opponent slowly goes down in health. Having one of these two will give you that much needed steel type.

Even though you have wish support your team does have very little recovery, so i recommend changing the rotom heat set to a rest talk one with shadow ball and thunderbolt so your team doesn't rely on blissey (or Jirachi) to help them.

If you take peoples advise and use forretress over tentacrual I believe you should change Swampert to Gyarados (Rest talk with waterfall and roar) to give your team a much needed Phaser and a much needed swords dance Lucario counter of who your team is very weak too.

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2015
Yea you do need a phaser, if you want to spread round all the entry hazards youve got. Skarm would b good and it also lays spikes.

Skarmory @ shed shell
Impish 252 hp 240 def 16 spe
~ spikes
~ whirlwind
~ roost
~ brave bird / drill peck

Shed shell for magnezone and chain teams. Lefties if u want.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
well, if I'm going to have a Phaser, what's the point of T-spikes? all it will do is make things worse...

What ? Elaborate.

also, I think Leftovers will be better, as I can roost for heal, and I don't really need to switch, just take hits...

Magnezone used pwn your Skarm yayyyy. ~___~

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
Years
ok, well, the main aim of T-spikes is to keep a single opponent in for as long as possible, so that the Toxiced effect can last longer. if you use a Phaser, then the effect of T-spikes will be lost, and the opponent will just be normally poisoned when they switch back in, which means they are immune to effects such as sleep, etc. my Breloom relies on Sporing, so my team does shoot itself in the foot there, but that's what I need to figure out, get rid of Breloom for a Spiker? Or get rid of Tentacruel for a phaser? if my team is stalling then Breloom would be the one to drop. any suggestions?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
ok, well, the main aim of T-spikes is to keep a single opponent in for as long as possible, so that the Toxiced effect can last longer. if you use a Phaser, then the effect of T-spikes will be lost, and the opponent will just be normally poisoned when they switch back in, which means they are immune to effects such as sleep, etc. my Breloom relies on Sporing, so my team does shoot itself in the foot there, but that's what I need to figure out, get rid of Breloom for a Spiker? Or get rid of Tentacruel for a phaser? if my team is stalling then Breloom would be the one to drop. any suggestions?

Uh, you get everything badly Poisoned via phazing? I don't see how that is really bad, especially with your other Spikes up. :/

Also with that particular Breloom set you have Sub to scout switch ins and you should be putting off Sporing for as long as possible regardless.

But yes dropping Breloom would be good since it doesn't do much.

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2015
Oh yea, protect > softboiled for wishbliss because u get to toxic stall better and scout moves. I'd keep tentacruel nd replace breloom for skarm.

also rest talk gyara would probly be better than swampert:

Gyarados @ leftovers
impish evs: 252 HP 120 def 68 spD 64 spe
~ rest
~ sleep talk
~ roar
~ waterfall

I know that gives u more electric weaknesses, but with bliss, rotom and gliscor u should be ok :)

Last edited:

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
Years
  • Age 30
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 19, 2016

Celebi. Recover, more reliable switch in against ground pokemon, and Perish Songs stops last Restmon from sweeping you (like Suicune and Snorlax).

Celebi@Leftovers
Bold
252 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
-Grass Knot
-Recover
-Perish Song
-U-Turn
Ripped straight from Smogon.

Either Forretress can replace Tentacruel, or you could try a Spike stacking Smeargle over Gliscor in the lead position. If you used Smeargle, Swampert can slash Curse for Stealth Rock.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
I find Protect honesty sucks on Wish Bliss.

A. If they have Roar and have Spikes +SR up Blissey cant heal itself. B. If you predict wrongly, you give something 2 free DD's/SD's, one on the turn you Protect and one on the turn you switch out. C. More PP actually lets you stall MORE. D. If you use Wish on the switch and a powerful stat upper comes in you cant Protect or risk a +1/+2 pokes so Blissey can often go through the whole match and struggles healing itself. Softboiled is just plain better in all these common situations and lets you heal and get the heck out of there.

Whilst im here might aswell make other changes.

Rotom wants Pain Split and Sub over Overheat and Shadow Ball. Sub lets you scout (i.e if they switch in a Tar and Poisoned by T-Spikes your Rotom is screwed) and Pain Split lets you stall with T-Spikes down stall and HEAL which is vital. Overheat blows and everything it hits you beat with Wisp and Bolt.

Make Swampert defensive for the love of god please with SR, Roar, Ice Beam and EQ with max hp and def @ Relaxed to actually beat T-Tar.

This lets you put the much more useful Taunt on Gliscor over its SR, this helps with last pokes quote alot since if they are Taunted Blissey beats them. Id prolly lead with this too to break Azelf Sash since those are a pain to face with Stall thanks to the threat of Exposion and Psychic 2hkoing your ghosts if you arent packing stuff like Tomb or Tran.

Hp Fire is a joke on Tenta, use Sludge Bomb.

A Spiker should go over Breloom. Sp.Def Taunt Skarmory would work nicely.

joshk_bra

EV trains like a boss.
Years
If your going to use a sub seed Breloom i would sugest you use an Impish nature with 252 HP / 252 Def /4 atk and the same move set

I use the type of Breloom and it takes physical hits like a boss. Dont really need to invest in attack because Focus punch does a lot as is.

And as for tentacruel, HP Fire-70 is rather hopeless. If its going to be a HP, change it to Electric. If not, sludge bomb works well

But the combo of these 2 pokemon can cause problems in the late game
If all their pokemon get poisoned of Toxic-Spikes, Breloom's spore become useless =/

Back