• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dark Souls III

Years
    But with UGS you can just roll behind them and backstab, they are slow as all hell. The better hyper armour and damage to stamina consumption doesn't matter if you can't land a hit.

Which is true but a smart UGS user isn't sorely trying to lock on and swinging while you're close. They're spacing out properly by swinging from as far as possible, and probably swinging without using lock on. It's what I did when I fought you, I disengaged the lock on and tried to hit where you WOULD roll so that way I don't have to worry about backstabs.

Also the hyper armor kinda does matter due to the fact that it affects engagements entirely. If I eat the first hit and hit you with a buntload of damage I'd say the trade is worth it.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
    Yeah, you're right with that. I'm just really not used to fighting anyone who actually knows how to use one of those things.

Sir Codin

My main is SL64. Feel free to duel sometime. Aldrich Faithful is favorite covenant this game, especially when I have a great bow handy.

Also got a fun build in mind.

Siegtoriavel.

Sir Codin

I don't dislike the game, and that was just my personal rating. I rated it so low because the game is really poorly optimized compared to the other games in the franchise (Dks 1, 2, and SotFS run fine at 60 FPS on my PC), giving me only 5-10 FPS with constant freezes, kicking me back to the title screen and making me play offline every few minutes. The optimization made the game unplayable for people with anything less than a 1-2 grand gaming PC. If you search for it, you'll find a ton of people with the same issues that I do, and I guess that's why I gave it such a low rating. Also, another reason, it feels way too much like Bloodborne with metal armor. Since it uses the same engine, it feels more like Bloodborne 2 than it does Dark Souls 3, which doesn't appeal to me as much. Overall, I'd have to get a better computer to be able to review the game any further, so the poor optimization and graphical style, as well as the first 3-4 bosses are the only experience I have with the game, so I gave it the low score that I feel it has earned so far in my experience. Again, I am going to state that it's my personal score, and I feel like others with better computers or people who like the graphics style will find this game better.
    Your PC needs to git gud.

Years
    Felt like sharing this. Dan Bull, incredible video game rapper, covered Dark Souls 3 in a song. Pretty top if you ask me!

As a fellow enthusiast of making raps in my spare time, I need to watch-

"I swing a broadsword at a Lord of Cinder
    And swipe left and right quick as if I'm bored of tinder"

"Don't aggrivate; I'll amputate and lacerate
    Or strangulate till I decapitate and your atoms evaporate"

"I'M UNKINDLED LIKE THEY TOOK AWAY MY EBOOK"

P H E W

Dark Souls III

Sir Codin

FIVE THINGS THAT SUCK ABOUT DARK SOULS 3

Spoiler:

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
    most of that just seems like crying about how DS3 isn't the other souls games

and regarding DS1 darkmoons only invading anor londo, that's...not true? i got invaded by darkmoons extremely often through the game, especially in oolacile. you may be thinking of them being able to invade even non-sinners, if they are in dark anor londo. but this time around, in 3, yeah the covenant is dead as shit.

ganking has been a problem since literally always. and yeah it's easier to do and harder to fight now what with being able to have more summons, but still. this isn't new, in any way, so it's hardly a reason DS3 sucks. it'd be more justified as a reason the entire series sucks. which it doesn't.

regarding poise
    it's probably there but turned off because DS3 uses the same engine as DS1

and relying on phantoms doesn't mean you suck at the game. oh no, i'm using expendable help to make sure i live longer, i'm so bad!!
    it's called being smart
    i could very well go through the whole game without summoning, but i'm always going to pick up a phantom or two, or three, if they're around because it makes my job easier and makes me less likely to die. if someone invades me when i have a full team of summons, that's their problem, that's what they get for coming in uninvited. but the people that ganksquad red signs, yeah those guys are assholes

"but when you tell me you beat Oceiros for the first time with even a single phantom summoned, don't expect me to do anything BUT make fun of you."
    oh no! i went into a boss i've never seen before with summons because i have no idea what to expect and no idea if the boss will be easy or soul-crushingly hard! SO BAD!
    yeah, he was a shit-easy boss, but considering i did a blind first run, it's LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE for me to know that before i've even seen him once!

god fucking damn
    you don't need to be a fuckin mlg pro lone wolf bullshit to be good at the game

the only thing bad about dark souls 3 is the community whining over everything they don't like, or everything that's different
    if you want a fucking DS1 clone, go play DS1

Last edited:

Sir Codin

It's "Five Things that Suck about this otherwise awesome game" not "five reasons why this game sucks."

And the Oceiros comment is because the guy is a joke. Seriously, he's the Pinwheel of this game.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
    "FIVE THINGS THAT SUCK ABOUT DARK SOULS 3"

i beg to differ
    also the fact that i never said you said the game sucks
    nevermind i did in fact say that
    and yeah oceiros is a joke, but how can anyone know that if they haven't fought him already?

Last edited:

Sir Codin

"FIVE THINGS THAT SUCK ABOUT DARK SOULS 3"

i beg to differ
    also the fact that i never said you said the game sucks
    nevermind i did in fact say that
    and yeah oceiros is a joke, but how can anyone know that if they haven't fought him already?
    How about by exploring an area on your own, finding him on your own, and beating him on your own?

I don't have problems with summoning phantoms on certain occasions, but most Dark Souls players highly recommend you do everything you can to beat things on your own first as it maximizes the satisfaction of beating the game.

Also, whenever I hear people summoning multiple phantoms to carry them through every aspect of the game, I can't help but think of them of being just like DarkSydePhil:

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
    How about by exploring an area on your own, finding him on your own, and beating him on your own?

going into a boss area where you have literally no idea what to expect, and not having some kind of help, is just plain foolish
    yeah i could have gone in and died once because i didn't know what to expect, and killed him the second time
    or,
    i could get a couple summons to save me a death or two

i mean if you wann be mlg pro loner and can actually do it, more power to ya
    but yknow
    i like to die as little as possible, so i'm gonna take safety precautions to make sure i don't die
    i do prefer to explore the area on my own tho
    but a boss i've never seen?
    fuuuuuck off

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    You don't need to be MLG to beat a game by yourself. By this logic, beating a Devil May Cry or Zelda game makes you MLG.

You don't have to no, but considering this is a Dark Souls game where you are heavily punished for not adjusting to the attack patterns of enemies, I can understand being hesitant to traverse a new area alone with no prior knowledge of what's to come. Furthermore the examples above don't have the same kind of punishment that the Dark Souls series has so I can understand why he might want to have a summon with him to back him up.

Sir Codin

You don't have to no, but considering this is a Dark Souls game where you are heavily punished for not adjusting to the attack patterns of enemies. Furthermore the examples above don't have the same kind of punishment that the Dark Souls series has so I can understand why he might want to have a summon with him to back him up.
    Then I would suggest adjusting to the attack patterns of enemies. If you die, do what I do: keep trying. Learn from each failure so eventually you learn how to beat the boss. I don't really care that much if you summon someone to help you out; all I'm saying is if you do, that lessens the challenge and thus the satisfaction of finally overcoming the obstacle in your path.

What makes Dark Souls so rewarding is that feeling of euphoria and triumph when you finally succeed after so many failures. By relying too much on summoning, I feel it cheapens the experience and cripples your potential to "git gud." I criticize summon fetishes because I care about a player's potential to get better at using their character if they'd just practice.

I know repeated failures can bog people down, I get that. After all, I was a science major in college. I understand that repeated failures tempt you into asking for help. There's nothing wrong with that. I've done it myself from time to time, but often after I've tried at least a dozen times and gotten nowhere. My point is getting help every once in a while is alright, by relying on it too much like trying to get through an area cheapens the experience that drew most people to the Souls series in the first place.

And since we're having this discussion, I'm now tempted to play through the previous two Dark Souls without doing any summoning. Not even for Ornstein & Smough (I've done it once on Smough, but now it's Ornstein's turn), not even for the Ruin Sentinels. Here are the PvE builds I plan for this by the endgame:

https://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/499254
    https://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls2/49911

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
    Then I would suggest adjusting to the attack patterns of enemies. If you die, do what I do: keep trying. Learn from each failure so eventually you learn how to beat the boss. I don't really care that much if you summon someone to help you out; all I'm saying is if you do, that lessens the challenge and thus the satisfaction of finally overcoming the obstacle in your path.

What makes Dark Souls so rewarding is that feeling of euphoria and triumph when you finally succeed after so many failures. By relying too much on summoning, I feel it cheapens the experience and cripples your potential to "git gud." I criticize summon fetishes because I care about a player's potential to get better at using their character if they'd just practice.

I know repeated failures can bog people down, I get that. After all, I was a science major in college. I understand that repeated failures tempt you into asking for help. There's nothing wrong with that. I've done it myself from time to time, but often after I've tried at least a dozen times and gotten nowhere. My point is getting help every once in a while is alright, by relying on it too much like trying to get through an area cheapens the experience that drew most people to the Souls series in the first place.

And since we're having this discussion, I'm now tempted to play through the previous two Dark Souls without doing any summoning. Not even for Ornstein & Smough (I've done it once on Smough, but now it's Ornstein's turn), not even for the Ruin Sentinels. Here are the PvE builds I plan for this by the endgame:

https://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/499254
    https://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls2/49911

I think in the end it's just a matter of a gamer's preference. For some, they'd rather learn on the go and adjust to the attack patterns with a little bit of a cushion (I.e with a summon.) Other's will have the viewpoint of just going balls to the walls and take that risk of losing their souls but still learn in the process. In the end, it's just whether you want to play passively or aggressively.

I'm with you on doing a solo playthrough of no summons though. I'm currently working on NG+ in Dark Souls 3 to get the Hollow ending, but once I do it one more time for the Firekeeper ending I'm going to try to do it without any summons (I dread the fight with the Lord of Cinders who shot the arrows, that guy gave me the most grief.)

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
    So I've abandoned my shield and gear for just a Dragonslayer Spear for PvP and got to say, I don't know what the hell I was thinking carrying all that gear around. Makes PvP a lot easier in terms of fighting people (i.e. being able to roll around a lot more.)

Any tips on parrying? I think that's the next step I want to take in terms of combatting people. For the most part I haven't had any issues in duels/invasions, only when I run up against someone who knows how the hell to parry.

Years
    So I've abandoned my shield and gear for just a Dragonslayer Spear for PvP and got to say, I don't know what the hell I was thinking carrying all that gear around. Makes PvP a lot easier in terms of fighting people (i.e. being able to roll around a lot more.)

Any tips on parrying? I think that's the next step I want to take in terms of combatting people. For the most part I haven't had any issues in duels/invasions, only when I run up against someone who knows how the hell to parry.

Only thing I can tell you about parrying is try to figure out their attack patterns and make educated guess on when you think they're gonna swing. The mindgames there come in "what is he gonna do" and "should I commit". If you guess wrong, well....

Back