• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dark Souls

Sündïr

Cactonia's Greatest Warrior
Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    This is a discussion thread for the Soulsborne series of games. Whether it be lore, theories, strats and secrets, this thread will cover it all.

Sir Codin

Since we have a new Dark Souls topic, I think I might discuss a new game mode I came up with that I'm going to play the series through with.

RANDOM BUILD MODE:

*Keep in mind, I'm basing the pace of level ups based on metagame PvP level

The rules are the same throughout the series, but the leveling pace will change depending on the game. Here are the base rules:

1. Started as the Deprived class (or Pyrmancer in Dark Souls 1, he has lower starting soul level)
    2. Roll up a level up queue
    - Roll a dice first and it's number designates the stat you must level up
    - Roll a second die. This number determines how many of the next level ups you must dedicate to the stat.

Example: I roll a number that designates Strength, then I roll a 5 on the second die. This means that for the next five level ups, I MUST level Strength.

Once the level ups are expended for that stat in the queue, repeat until you get to the desired level.

This will create all sorts of wacky build combinations that will make you think about weapon choice and how to best utilize what you've been given with the luck (or unluck) of the draw. You could end up with something like a guy with high Int, but no attunement, a warrior with low weapon stats but high resistance and health, etc. What you end up being will depend on the luck of the draw.

Variants:

Dark Souls 1:

Use a d8 (1 to 8) for the stat designations, 1 being Vitality and 8 being Faith.
    Use a d6 for the level up amount

Dark Souls 2:
    Use a 10, with 1 being Vigor and 9 being Faith; 10 is the lucky number...if you roll a 10, you can level up ANY stats you want for the next level up amount.

Use a d8 for the level up amount

Dark Soul 3:
    Use a d10 for the stat designation, with 1 being Vigor and 9 being Luck. Just like with Dark Souls 2, a roll of 10 lets you level up any stats you want for the next X level ups, whereas X is the number you roll on a d6.

HAVE FUN!

Last edited:

Sündïr

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    That sounds pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
    Although it might make the game unplayable in parts

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I was gonna start another Dark Souls 1 run soon, and was kinda like "hey let's do a Faith build this time, never done any Faith stuff in Dark Souls 1 or 2", and was kinda hoping to have a few ideas thrown at me for that.

Also someone remind me to do this random build playthrough of Carchar's when I'm done with this one, sounds like it could be fun.

Sündïr

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    I was gonna start another Dark Souls 1 run soon, and was kinda like "hey let's do a Faith build this time, never done any Faith stuff in Dark Souls 1 or 2", and was kinda hoping to have a few ideas thrown at me for that.

Faith is not a very good idea to try and base a build around in DS1, as pretty much every offensive miracle is covenant-based. In DS2 miracles are kind of pointless due to nearly every offensive miracle being lightning-based (which they recently nerfed)

Sir Codin

Faith is actually very reliable as the few spells that are offensive based are ridiculously strong in Dark Souls 1. However, most miracles are utility spells that are meant to be used hand-in-hand with a Pyromancer or physical build.

Personally, I almost always use Pyromancies in tandem with Miracles since Pyromancy has more offensive spells available and is even more OP than Miracles thanks to using only Attunement and pyromancy flame upgrades in Dark Souls 1 (to establish it in the lore as a magic that anyone can use - a concept that would be ruined in the following two games).

Wrath of the Gods, Great Lightning Spear, Great Magic Barrier, Great Heal, and Tranquil Walk of Peace are what you want to go for. Homeward is also good for saving souls on Homeward Bones and if you are doing co-op, using Soothing Sunlight is going to make you a lot of new friends (as long as you don't mind being stuck in the Princess Guard covenant). Sunlight Blade is also good if you're not going to infuse your weapon and just stick to +15 Normal path.

But like I said, it's also best to use some of this in tandem with Pyromancy (probably Great Fireball, Black Flame, and/or Power Within if you really want to dedicate most of your build to miracles). And Ring Of The Sun's Firstborn is quintessential to any miracle build.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Nah

Lize

Forever paired with [b]machomuu[/b]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 25, 2023
    I'm actually running around with a Faith build right now, with currently a Divine Zweihander and I can recommend this build not only because it works but it's also extremely silly. Also, that lightning spear completely removes the early game. I don't know where that early game went.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    Praise the Sun! Before anything, I'd just like to say that, as most of us, I've played tons of video games, but the Soulsborne series has got to be among the top 3 best I've ever played. Maybe even the best, it's always a tough decision. These games are too awesome.

Next, to join in on the discussion, I've tried a Faith build in DS1 once. Didn't like it. The only miracle really worth it is Homeward, it cuts down on grinding time. But the best grinding in DS1 can be done in the Painted World, where the bonfire is 10 seconds from the mob away, so it's... kinda useless? It's even worse in large areas with lots of enemies and scarce bonfires (like the Duke's Archives). I always run out of miracles to use without even killing half of them, so I end up running towards the bonfire... I don't know, it's probably me for not knowing how to properly play, or build, a Faith build, but I don't recommend it.

The awesome lore aside, one of the best things about these games are the bosses. Sure, there are bad ones, but most of them are great, when it comes to lore, design, toughness, fun, etc. etc. So what are your favorite/hardest bosses in each of the games? I'd really love to hear your opinions. Here's my list:
    Spoiler:

Well, that's my list. Hope to hear from you guys =)

Lize

Forever paired with [b]machomuu[/b]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 25, 2023
    I hope you're actually using attunement as well, and have like at least 4 slots, hehe. I'm running Pyromancy next to my talisman now, for more aggressiveness. Still loving it, still very occasionally one shot enemies with lightning spear and all. And there's quite some few enemies ahead that are weak to lightning, so there's that.

I'm really loving the faith build so far, rushing through the game with it and actually making my way through Sen's Fortress now. Still one shotting enemies here with Lightning spear. I did massively screw up, though.. I'll need someone else to get me Wrath of the Gods. Because I had to kill Rhea.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Finally got enough Faith to join the Sunbros covenant

Holy crap is Lightning Spear powerful. Was very useful against the Gaping Dragon. And to think that there's stronger versions of it too. Too bad though you can't get multiple copies in a single playthrough. Probably gonna go through some of Darkroot Garden and Valley of the Drakes before heading into Blighttown though.

Also fuck the Capra Demon, I still don't like that boss fight

ImMrRoboto

That's MISTER Roboto to you!
    Years
  • Personally, I've never done a faith build. I usually just use one or two miracles along with a mainly strength build. This being said, however, I'm pondering a build called "Priest of Gwyndolin" and making it a mixture of cleric and archer. It's the two builds that I have struggled with the most in the past and I want to try putting them together to make it even more difficult for myself. This, of course, being the true nature of Dark Souls. What do you think of this?

Now in response to LightningAlex, here's my personal best boss list.
    Spoiler:

ImMrRoboto

That's MISTER Roboto to you!
    Years
  • I've actually been trying this challenge with Dark Souls 2, and It's been very fun so far. I might post updates, but not likely. However, I will allow you to bask in the glory of my character.

I will allow you to bask...

Before Chester!
    I'm having trouble putting an html code on it, so, uh.. I'll attach it.

Attachments

• Dark Souls
      image.jpg
      514.7 KB · Views: 5
    Back