• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Darkness Falls~ *Dark Type Pokemon Fan Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • What dark type in your opinion should gain a mega?
    I would give one to Honchkrow. It's a nifty Pokémon that I think a Mega Evolution could give even more of a "boss" design to. It could use a bit more Speed and/or Defenses, and while it already has some fun abilities, I think they could give a Mega Evolution for it something even cooler than Moxie or Super Luck.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • What dark type in your opinion should gain a mega?

Mightyena could definitely use a Mega to boost its Attack stat. I like using it but it oculd use a bit more power. Mega Drapion would be pretty cool too, personally I think it should be given 4 arms (if you can call them arms) to make it look even more intimidating.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years

• Featured Dark Type Of the Week!
    2u76043.png

Honchkrow, The Big Boss Pokémon. It is merciless by nature. It is said that it never forgives the mistakes of its Murkrow followers. It makes its Murkrow cronies bring it food. It idles its time away, grooming itself in its nest. If one utters a deep cry, many Murkrow gather quickly. For this, it is called "Summoner of Night".

Hehe Archers pick here while u discuss this i got three others that i want everyone to take a vote in :3

Here i will go in depth on pics, stats, design, and a lot of other things so take a look!

Arts and design:

Arts:
    Spoiler:

Wallpaper:
    WARNING LARGE PICTURES
    Spoiler:

Statistics, Ability, Moveset and Such:
    Spoiler:

Discussion questions:
    1) These are optional discussing other things other than these makes it more fun!
    2) What is your opinion on his overall look?
    3) Would you use him in competitive battling?
    4) Do you overall like, love, or hate him? Why?
    5) Did you ever use him in game sinnoh or other regions?
    6) If you have not commented on him being the big boss pokemon in your reply i strongly urge you too haha

Sorry about the lateness of this but a new topic will come up likely tuesday and we will just have faster discussions haha. Also i olive everyones picks on the current topic!

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Ooh look it's Mafia burd!
    But yeah, I like Honchkrow! It has a hat made out of feathers and I like the little moon near its eyes. I haven't used it competitively though. I heard Honchkrow's new HA is going to be Defiant; I guess it helps to punish Intimidate and Defog users. :P

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    PRAISE MAFIA BIRD

When I first started playing pokemon back in D/P/Pt, I had a guidebook that helped me out with the confusing parts of the storyline or what pokemon were available in what locations. So one day, I was skimming through the regional pokedex and came across two pokemon, Murkrow and Honchkrow.

I immediately wanted to train one on my team. So disregarding the beginning part of the storyline, I rushed my way through the plot until I reached Eterna Forest. Entering, I spent a good hour or so searching for one. Nothing.

Huh, that couldn't be right. Isn't Murkrow available in Plati- oh god.

And you can picture the rest. Imagination, folks! That being said, I was really enthusiastic about training one. I love the whole head honcho approach they did alongside the mafia-like design. Huge black bird with a hat? Heck yeah.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In terms of design, I'm really a big fan of how bulky Honchkrow seems to be.

We've got a lot of bird Pokémon out there, but many of them are rather swift-looking than tank-y (could of examples of this would be Xatu, Sigilyph, Pidgeot, and Talonflame), but this one, however, is kind of different, which is something that makes it so special in my eyes.

Its appearance complements its battling style as well, in a way; when it comes to taking part in matches, it's able to endure a good amount of hits, and its design does represent that, considering how much meat and fur Honchkrow has attached onto its body. Alongside, the Pokémon also has access to some decent moves, such as Sucker Punch, Brave Bird, and so forth.

Dedenne1

Years
  • Now as promised i have a new topic! Btw i really love your guys opinion on honchkrow and discussion will remain open for that so along with this topic plz feel free to discuss DTPOTW freely!
    So i was saving this but i want a big big big convo going on so im hoping for a good amount of replies and maybe some debate cause ive debated this with friends and in my mind and its not always 100% clear so discuss!!!!

As of 6th gen Fairy-type is now super effective against Dark types while Steel loses it's resistances against Dark along with Ghost. What are your thoughts on all of the changes? How do you think it will affect the Dark type and all dark type pokemon competitively?Will it improve it or make it worse?

Edit: If i didnt stress this enough lemme just say... BIG! conversation about this!

Last edited:
    Years
  • As of 6th gen Fairy-type is now super effective against Dark types while Steel loses it's resistances against Dark along with Ghost. What are your thoughts on all of the changes? How do you think it will affect the Dark type and all dark type pokemon competitively? Will it improve it or make it worse?

I really think it made things worse for them. Some people think the Fairy-type was worse to Dark and Fighting-types than it was to the Dragon-types, and with a few of the most well-known ones from Generation V taking a major hit, it becomes harder to use them effectively, but that's not to say they're unusable.

But since Steel doesn't resist it anymore, it made Foul Play a more usable move (particularly against Excadrill and Metagross), and it gave the Steel/Psychic-types a run for their money now that they have more weaknesses then previously. So they definitely didn't completely lose out, but the Fairy-types are hazardous, surely.

faf

Years
  • As of 6th gen Fairy-type is now super effective against Dark types while Steel loses its resistances against Dark along with Ghost. What are your thoughts on all of the changes? How do you think it will affect the Dark type and all Dark type Pokemon competitively? Will it improve it or make it worse?
    The weakness to Fairy really made me despise the new type since my top two favourites are 4x weak to it. I would be fine with it if Dark was also super effective against Fairies but it's not. I personally think Dark now be neutral against Steel doesn't make sense but I'm fine with it. I guess since Steel is the best defensive type, it could use a nerf.

Most used Dark types off the top of my head are Greninja (but then the banhammer), Bisharp, Mandibuzz, Sableye (more so its Mega) and Tyranitar. Mega-Gyara's there too if you want to count it. There's Weavile too but it's not used enough to be OU; only sitting at BL. To be honest, that's only a small handful of Dark type users and it has shifted a bit from the previous gen, I think. Steel (or Dragon) was the most dominate type in Gen 5 and despite the Fairies, it seems some Darkies may have improved a bit. I don't meta too much so I'm not the best judge.

Duckface

Eating Souls Everyday
    Years
  • Username: Duckface
    Reason you love dark types: They have amazing design, beautiful moves and lets be honest, they're the coolest pokemon in town.
    3 partner pokemon: Greninja, Darkrai, Yveltal
    Answer any current topic:
    I think its really unfair, that dark loses two types that it once resisted and another type thats super effective. I think they should add back the resistance to ghost and steel, as its basically lost its touch.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • POTW: Honchkrow
    First of all, Honchkrow is a great addition to Murkrow as an evolution. Murkrow was one of those Gen II basic Pokémon unable to evolve, but still didn't have very good stats. Most of them gained an evolution in Gen IV (except Delibird). Compared to Murkrow, Honchkrow looks indeed a lot bulkier and indeed evolution to Honchkrow means a loss of 20 base speed. When you compare the two, Murkrow looks like a thief or a witch while Honchkrow looks like a leader, logically the reason why it's called the big boss Pokémon.
    The hat is one of the things you'd notice immediately, I really like this part of it's design. This hat is totally necessary for its status as the big boss. When you depict a Mafia Boss it always has a hat. It's cool how they made hat as an actual body part made of feathers.

I used Honchkrow in Pokémon Diamond. It was a good addition to my team. It was one of my rare playthroughs in which my flying Pokémon wasn't normal/flying and not from Zubat's evolution line.

Years
  • Honchkrow, huh? Let's see...

These are optional discussing other things other than these makes it more fun!
    He's been used by two villainous team bosses - Cyrus and Lysandre, so it's made clear that Game Freak must like this thing for the villainous teams. There were a few Galactic Grunts that used Murkrow, also.
    What is your opinion on his overall look?
    It's nice, that "hat" on its head gives it a nifty edge and makes it more boss-like.
    Would you use him in competitive battling?
    Given that he has Moxie and STAB Sucker Punch, he's usable alright, but I don't really battle competitively although I have seen him on rare occasion.
    Do you overall like, love, or hate him? Why?
    I like him. He's not my all-time favorite Dark-type but I can respect him, even if he's not great.
    Did you ever use him in game sinnoh or other regions?
    I used one once in the post-game in Soul Silver, and I almost used an HA Murkrow in X once, but didn't after I found out how much of a pain it would be to train it up from such a low level, which wasn't helped by the fact that the Dusk Stone wasn't until near the last badge.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Honchkrow already seems like a fully-evolved Pokémon in eyes of many fans, so I don't believe many of us would imagine it getting some actual evolution in future, if they were to give Honchkrow one.

However, it's definitely possible for the Pokémon to be getting a hold of a baby form of sorts, I suppose? After all, Murkrow does look like a middle-stage Pokémon, thinking about it, and I'm sure many of us would be able to agree; if it were to gain a pre-evolution, things would fit in quite nicely, if you ask me.

As far as anime is concerned, I'm not precisely sure if I had seen much of Honchkrow, sadly. It might have made some appearance throughout Sinnoh episodes, but I didn't have tendency to watch the show regularly back then; for me, this had stopped after Advanced Generation season was over, sorry to say.

Dedenne1

Years

• Featured Dark Type Of the Week!
    2v8k0zr.jpg

Mightyena, The Bite Pokémon. It gives obvious signals when it's ready to attack. It starts to growl deeply and then flattens it's body. It will bite savagely with it's sharp fangs. Mightyena travel and act as a pack in the wild. The memory of it's life in the wild compels it to obey trainers it can sense have superior skills.

I thought since 1 we didnt have one from gen 3 and 2 since its so underrated we'd talk mighteyena!

Here i will go in depth on pics, stats, design, and a lot of other things so take a look!

Arts and design:

Arts:
    Spoiler:

Wallpaper:
    Spoiler:

Statistics, Ability, Moveset and Such:
    Spoiler:

Discussion questions:
    1) These are optional discussing other things other than these makes it more fun!
    2) What is your opinion on his overall look?
    3) Would you use him in competitive battling? (PU NU)
    4) Do you overall like, love, or hate him? Why?
    5) Did you ever use him in game in Hoenn or did you go for absol or one of the many others?
    6) Mega Possibilities?

Sorry about the lateness of this #life issues I'll have another on friday as i am missing one still deciding between a couple though!

POTW: Honchkrow
    First of all, Honchkrow is a great addition to Murkrow as an evolution. Murkrow was one of those Gen II basic Pokémon unable to evolve, but still didn't have very good stats. Most of them gained an evolution in Gen IV (except Delibird). Compared to Murkrow, Honchkrow looks indeed a lot bulkier and indeed evolution to Honchkrow means a loss of 20 base speed. When you compare the two, Murkrow looks like a thief or a witch while Honchkrow looks like a leader, logically the reason why it's called the big boss Pokémon.
    The hat is one of the things you'd notice immediately, I really like this part of it's design. This hat is totally necessary for its status as the big boss. When you depict a Mafia Boss it always has a hat. It's cool how they made hat as an actual body part made of feathers.

I used Honchkrow in Pokémon Diamond. It was a good addition to my team. It was one of my rare playthroughs in which my flying Pokémon wasn't normal/flying and not from Zubat's evolution line.
    I cant really see Murkrow as being a one man pokemon im glad it got this cool addition to his line! Haha Mafia Honchkrow YES! I always loved his hat and it mattered to me how much they showed of his eyes in each gen we are slowly getting a good look into them!

Username: Duckface
    Reason you love dark types: They have amazing design, beautiful moves and lets be honest, they're the coolest pokemon in town.
    3 partner pokemon: Greninja, Darkrai, Yveltal
    Answer any current topic:
    I think its really unfair, that dark loses two types that it once resisted and another type thats super effective. I think they should add back the resistance to ghost and steel, as its basically lost its touch.

Welcome welcome welcome welcome! I'll add u now sorry for the lateness and feel free to talk about DTPOTW!
    Honchkrow, huh? Let's see...

These are optional discussing other things other than these makes it more fun!
    He's been used by two villainous team bosses - Cyrus and Lysandre, so it's made clear that Game Freak must like this thing for the villainous teams. There were a few Galactic Grunts that used Murkrow, also.
    What is your opinion on his overall look?
    It's nice, that "hat" on its head gives it a nifty edge and makes it more boss-like.
    Would you use him in competitive battling?
    Given that he has Moxie and STAB Sucker Punch, he's usable alright, but I don't really battle competitively although I have seen him on rare occasion.
    Do you overall like, love, or hate him? Why?
    I like him. He's not my all-time favorite Dark-type but I can respect him, even if he's not great.
    Did you ever use him in game sinnoh or other regions?
    I used one once in the post-game in Soul Silver, and I almost used an HA Murkrow in X once, but didn't after I found out how much of a pain it would be to train it up from such a low level, which wasn't helped by the fact that the Dusk Stone wasn't until near the last badge.
    Cough *mafia* honchkrow haha he does seem to go near the evil side i lived Cyrus using him i found it quite fitting haha.
    There was a lot if i remember of them using murkrow back then i wasnt exactly sure where to find him until it was too late in the game something i really would like to have on my team one day! Points to u for answering like everything plus adding a lot! ️Haha
    Honchkrow already seems like a fully-evolved Pokémon in eyes of many fans, so I don't believe many of us would imagine it getting some actual evolution in future, if they were to give Honchkrow one.

However, it's definitely possible for the Pokémon to be getting a hold of a baby form of sorts, I suppose? After all, Murkrow does look like a middle-stage Pokémon, thinking about it, and I'm sure many of us would be able to agree; if it were to gain a pre-evolution, things would fit in quite nicely, if you ask me.

As far as anime is concerned, I'm not precisely sure if I had seen much of Honchkrow, sadly. It might have made some appearance throughout Sinnoh episodes, but I didn't have tendency to watch the show regularly back then; for me, this had stopped after Advanced Generation season was over, sorry to say.
    I do see him without a mega but talking about a baby from its possible since murkrow was a single poke back then and was without his next evolution so id say the possibility of a baby pokemon being inserted is quite high since then you could find him earlier in the games and it would have a slightly smaller hat haha.

Again extremely sorry for the lateness lots of issues atm will try to be back on daily now!

faf

Years
  • You've picked another favourite of mine. <3
    Even though it's (sadly) terrible in the high tiers, the design is so amazing and I love canine-like Pokemon. I have used it in Pokemon XD and it was my second lv 100 which sadly got delete cuz Diamond. I have a figurine of it too. :3

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Omega Ruby was the first time I got to use Mightyena and it was really good actually. I managed to get one with Thunder Fang thanks to the Dexnav. It's not the best battler in the world, but it gets the job done well enough, and I do like its fierce design.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I picked one up via the same method myself, haha. Seeing as it was already level 5 and had Ice Fang, it couldn't of hurt to have one around. Though I did dump it for Latias, I really did enjoy using one for the first three or so gyms. It was great for covering the weaknesses of my two fighting types while also providing its own damage with its high attack stat. Though it did fall off a bit later though so I assume that's why it got permanently boxed. :(

But if there was ever a reason to reuse Mightyena, it'd be for the design. I don't think there's even a proper word to describe how cool and intimidating it is.

Dedenne1

Years
  • Last day to get in your opinions on mighteyena! Tommarrow will be POTW officially for this week haha i am currently between:
    Weavile
    Absol
    Umbreon
    Hard choice though haha!

faf

Years
  • You should do Umbreon! It's the best Eeveelution and plus I love my onesie of it~
    As for Mightyena, I forgot to mention I have a little figurine of it (warning large pics!)~
    Spoiler:

I concur, it needs a mega.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I wouldn't say no to Umbreon either! It's probably either my second or third favourite eeveelution. <3

And yeah, I agree with you on the mega Mightyena. Maybe it could have its more wolfish qualities highlighted? I've always felt like it was rather werewolfy, alongside being a vicious and intimidating predator. The mega could help lead it in that direction or steer it completely opposite. What do you guys think?

Also that's a cool figurine! Where'd you get it? :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back