• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Darkstars [1] Nirvana: Mystery Of The Depths (1st Beta Available)

What do you think about this hack?

• Woah, its amazing, I NEED to play it!

Votes: 56 49.6%
  • Great hack.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Good hack, like the other hacks in this forum.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • Below average.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I don't like it. >.<

Votes: 11 9.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
  • Whatever do you mean? Everyone can reply. BZ can reply, Kyle can reply.
    Damn right i can. just like now ;)
    anyway i have and idea for the cries of the fakemon i can reverse them so it sounds diffent.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Before I begin, I would just like to say that this post is constructive criticism. I am going to, purposefully, focus primarily on what I perceive to be the flaws of this hack. You aren't going to find much praise in this post but this is not aimed at you as a flame; I am merely trying to help by telling you what I don't like so that you may correct it (if you wish).

Alrighty. Let's see what we have here.
    Well, first of all I don't like the grass tile. It looks weird but maybe I'm just used to having grass tiles that loop. Speaking of grass, it's annoying that you haven't bothered to change the tall grass animation palette. While we're on the topic of vegetation, I'd like to point out that I strongly dislike that flower. To be blunt, it just looks really bad :\ Same with that weird bush thing with the two floating dots. It just looks weird (subjective) with those dots that appear to be hovering on their own.
    Onto the beach: The beach tiles themselves don't look very good in my opinion. The mix between dots and waves (which occurs when you use the sand path edge directly adjacent to the beach sand in this screenshot) doesn't flow very well. On top of that, the beach tiles look not-so-fluid in these two screenshots: #1 & #2 (most likely the result of using only the X- and Y-flip in the Block Editor). One more little thing that irks me: I noticed that the beach edge tile is the same throughout all five screenshots in which it appears. I am indisposed to believe that you managed to take a screenshot at the exact moment when that one particular frame was showing in all five of those pictures. But please, don't hesitate to prove me wrong. One last thing before moving on: the shadows underneath the beach palm trees look bad as well.
    Finally, the mountain tiles aren't very attractive either. The fact that the palette is way to dark (which is elaborated on in the next section) is only half of the problem: the tiles themselves are really ugly (again, subjective). The sides are perfectly straight lines and the corners are too round. On top of that, the tile that is used on the northern edge when the layer is covered in grass looks strange (it's hard to explain but you can hopefully see what I mean in this screenshot).

The palettes in general are kind of a turn-off for me. The water palette is a nice, tropical color (though the darker water needs to be made lighter in order to correspond with the lighter normal water) but the mountains are just way too dark; the contrast (paired with the ridiculously straight edge of the mountain tiles) is off-putting. The vegetation palette is nice, I suppose, but it's not really suited for this type of hack. Tropical regions usually have vibrant, colorful, and (above all else) bright palettes. Yours are way to dark, in my honest opinion. I realize that it's raining in quite a large portion of your screenshots but still, I feel that you could make things a lot more colorful, which, as an added bonus, is a lot more pleasing to look at from the Player's perspective (not to say that yours are bad). Anyways, your grass palette is really beautiful but it just feels out of place :\

Tile errors:
    #1: The water edge tiles are done wrong.
    #2: The palm tree a little down and to the left of the center is missing the "northern mountain edge" tile that I mention earlier in its background.
    Actually, overall you've done a pretty good job of avoiding any mapping errors :)

Unfortunately, there is nothing to comment on in terms of scripting given the lack of available material. I'm always a little iffy about hacks that are already in the Progressing Hacks forum that have no scripting. I'd love to see what you guys can do in that department instead of seeing all your efforts focused so heavily on the graphical aspects of the hack. In my opinion, from what little I've seen, I think you've got quite enough of that done, enough that you can move on to scripting.

I'm eagerly awaiting an update so long as it contains something besides graphics. Don't disappoint me ;)

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • About the palletes, isn't it like NO$GBA takes darker screenshots?
    I haven't heard of anything like that before and honestly I don't really believe it.

By the way (I forgot to put this in my earlier post), nowhere in your first post do you mention what ROM Base this is a hack of. I realize that it's in the thread title but believe me, that won't be enough for quite a number of people that inhabit these forums.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Before I begin, I would just like to say that this post is constructive criticism. I am going to, purposefully, focus primarily on what I perceive to be the flaws of this hack. You aren't going to find much praise in this post but this is not aimed at you as a flame; I am merely trying to help by telling you what I don't like so that you may correct it (if you wish).

Alrighty. Let's see what we have here.
    Well, first of all I don't like the grass tile. It looks weird but maybe I'm just used to having grass tiles that loop. Speaking of grass, it's annoying that you haven't bothered to change the tall grass animation palette. While we're on the topic of vegetation, I'd like to point out that I strongly dislike that flower. To be blunt, it just looks really bad :\ Same with that weird bush thing with the two floating dots. It just looks weird (subjective) with those dots that appear to be hovering on their own.
    Onto the beach: The beach tiles themselves don't look very good in my opinion. The mix between dots and waves (which occurs when you use the sand path edge directly adjacent to the beach sand in this screenshot) doesn't flow very well. On top of that, the beach tiles look not-so-fluid in these two screenshots: #1 & #2 (most likely the result of using only the X- and Y-flip in the Block Editor). One more little thing that irks me: I noticed that the beach edge tile is the same throughout all five screenshots in which it appears. I am indisposed to believe that you managed to take a screenshot at the exact moment when that one particular frame was showing in all five of those pictures. But please, don't hesitate to prove me wrong. One last thing before moving on: the shadows underneath the beach palm trees look bad as well.
    Finally, the mountain tiles aren't very attractive either. The fact that the palette is way to dark (which is elaborated on in the next section) is only half of the problem: the tiles themselves are really ugly (again, subjective). The sides are perfectly straight lines and the corners are too round. On top of that, the tile that is used on the northern edge when the layer is covered in grass looks strange (it's hard to explain but you can hopefully see what I mean in this screenshot).

The palettes in general are kind of a turn-off for me. The water palette is a nice, tropical color (though the darker water needs to be made lighter in order to correspond with the lighter normal water) but the mountains are just way too dark; the contrast (paired with the ridiculously straight edge of the mountain tiles) is off-putting. The vegetation palette is nice, I suppose, but it's not really suited for this type of hack. Tropical regions usually have vibrant, colorful, and (above all else) bright palettes. Yours are way to dark, in my honest opinion. I realize that it's raining in quite a large portion of your screenshots but still, I feel that you could make things a lot more colorful, which, as an added bonus, is a lot more pleasing to look at from the Player's perspective (not to say that yours are bad). Anyways, your grass palette is really beautiful but it just feels out of place :\

Tile errors:
    #1: The water edge tiles are done wrong.
    #2: The palm tree a little down and to the left of the center is missing the "northern mountain edge" tile that I mention earlier in its background.
    Actually, overall you've done a pretty good job of avoiding any mapping errors :)

Unfortunately, there is nothing to comment on in terms of scripting given the lack of available material. I'm always a little iffy about hacks that are already in the Progressing Hacks forum that have no scripting. I'd love to see what you guys can do in that department instead of seeing all your efforts focused so heavily on the graphical aspects of the hack. In my opinion, from what little I've seen, I think you've got quite enough of that done, enough that you can move on to scripting.

I'm eagerly awaiting an update so long as it contains something besides graphics. Don't disappoint me ;)

So, your post is only about the tile errors? OK, i'll try to fix them all. Thanks for the C & C, i needed it anyways. :D
    And no, we won't dissapoint you. =)

About the palletes, isn't it like NO$GBA takes darker screenshots?

I haven't heard of anything like that before and honestly I don't really believe it.

You know where it says "Solar Sensor Level" in the settings of the No$Gba? Its in the mode "Darkness", and i believe thats why the screenshots are so dark.

By the way (I forgot to put this in my earlier post), nowhere in your first post do you mention what ROM Base this is a hack of. I realize that it's in the thread title but believe me, that won't be enough for quite a number of people that inhabit these forums.

I guess you're right. I thought i added it to the "Releases", but it seems i forgot about it. Well, anyway, thanks for reminding me. =D

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Looks like a good idea. Waiting till Beta.

Gee, thanks.

i like this..
    nice graphics..

By graphics, you mean the tiles?

If there is will,there is a wy dude..xD..
    nothing is imposible[maybe for some that is]..xD

Nothing is impossible, true.

Wow, the hack looks so D\Pish.

Good Luck, Maverick~

Yes, i tired making it DP, i'm sick and tired of the old FR LG style.

And its Ray.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back