• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Death Note Fantards?

Jebel35

Legendary Seeker
    Years
    I can't stand them! Death Note was meant to be such a deep and insightful look into a new world and it's been completely infected and obliterated by fantards. To be honest, I have not seen a single episode, however I went to the effort of BUYING and READING the entire manga series and I'm sure that if I went to the effort of watching the Death Note series, I'd find that I enjoyed the manga a whole lot more.

So anyone else out there sick of Death Note fantards? Or like me, have read the entire manga series of it?

Har D Har

Master Mapper Supreme!
    Years
    I am right there with you bussy. I have seen the show, enjoyed it, and have moved on. It is like to Bleach to me. Is it good? Yes. Is it worth watching? Yes. Is it the greatest thing to ever come out of Japan in the history of Earth? Not even close.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    The series is good, but not that good. I have problems with anything after the L saga, after around episode 24. After that the series is weak and a waste of time, as near just sucks, and it does not jive anymore.

Jebel35

Legendary Seeker
    Years
    The series is good, but not that good. I have problems with anything after the L saga, after around episode 24. After that the series is weak and a waste of time, as near just sucks, and it does not jive anymore.

If you'd like to finish it, try looking for the manga online and find where you're up to, because I reckon the manga is much better.Also, I know what you mean about that part of the series losing it's touch, but it ends up building up to something better. Otherwise, just go on with the series and wait for it to build up to the next part of the storyline. =]

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    If you'd like to finish it, try looking for the manga online and find where you're up to, because I reckon the manga is much better.Also, I know what you mean about that part of the series losing it's touch, but it ends up building up to something better. Otherwise, just go on with the series and wait for it to build up to the next part of the storyline. =]

Huh? I've seen the whole series...*confused*

I think Death Note in the beginning is really really good. First 1-24 episodes are gold. Great anime, great manga. After that...blah.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Up until L dies is good. I just... lost interest after that. Mello and Near aren't that great of replacement antagonists.

Though, I don't think there are that many "fantards" in comparison to say... Naruto or Pokemon.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    So anyone else out there sick of Death Note fantards? Or like me, have read the entire manga series of it?

First, let's define the word 'fantard'. Fantard is slang for fanboy, or someone who has a fetish for one or more Anime, and/or Anime characters (in this case, the full definition isn't appropriate for this site so I'll leave it at that). They also often defend their mediums with a passion. They're usually the ones that say 'mine is better, and anyone who doesn't agree is a blah' or 'subs are better than dubs blah blah if you don't agree blah blah', for example. In addition, they tend to not be able to distinguish fiction from reality.

Now that that little matter is cleared up once and for all, I've only seen the Anime, and I've never read the manga, nor do I have any intention to. Not for a personal reason, but I just don't feel like shelling out paycheck after paycheck for them. Do I think either is better than the other? No. I don't know because I've only ever seen the Anime.

The problem is, I stopped buying mangas for the same reason I stopped buying DVDs of Anime. Too freaking expensive. Do I like the Anime? Yes. Would I like the manga? Well, probably. If I was still BUYING MANGA! Do I intend to go out and buy every issue? Yeah... When gas prices drop below 3 bucks a gallon... In other words, not likely.

And I'm also with you on the L saga. After that part of the series, I just lost interest. Not for any personal reason or anything. I just couldn't stay into it anymore. Same thing with FMA when Hughes died. I just lost interest in the show.

Last edited:

devilicious

dream
    Years
    I liked Death Note. I thought it was very entertaining and fun to watch. And, unlike most, I enjoyed Near, Mello, Mikami and Takada just as much as I did L.

I guess, though, it was somewhat overhyped and the fans can be a bit loud, but that's what happens with every big fanbase. I'm not really tired of them, because I haven't been attacked or anything. :B

As for your other question, I have watched all of the anime and also read all of the mangá, so yes.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I don't mind these "fantards" but I think it's unfair to call them that. You can like an anime up until one point and it would still be completely okay >>;

FOR EXAMPLE I liked Inuyasha up until the 12th manga. Then I realized it was a repetitive piece of a wasted dollar, and gave up on it. That doesn't mean I don't like the rest of it, I'm just not spending my money on SO MANY VOLUMES.

Going by that logic I'm pretty much one of these "fantards" because just like so many, I'm not a fan of Near or Mello so I haven't watched since L died. I still like the show, I'm just not going to watch it :/

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    I've bothered to only watch parts of the anime, since the movie was disappointing, and the story got bad after LaDIES.

I thought "Deathnote Fantards" denote those annoying fangirls who keep going around pairing the male characters?

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    Fantards? What's wrong with Death Note fantards? I mean, if they like Death Note and people consider them as "fantards" it's their problem not yours. If they like it, let them like it. It's really not a good idea to get into someone's buisness and say "OMG YOU LIKE MELLO/L/NEAR LOL!!!11!1!" It's their opinion, so what?

Anyways, I like Death Note, it's pretty good series, I'm watching it on Adult Swim so I'm a bit slow. The only reason why I like it is the twisting endings.

Jebel35

Legendary Seeker
    Years
    I've bothered to only watch parts of the anime, since the movie was disappointing, and the story got bad after LaDIES.

I thought "Deathnote Fantards" denote those annoying fangirls who keep going around pairing the male characters?

Thanks for not spoiling it for everyone else.
    *rolls eyes*

Ariolander

MangaTraders.com Staff
    Years
    If a Naruto fantard is called a Narutard and a Beach fantard is called a Bleach-head.

What do you call a Death Note fantard?

Vanilla Kitsune

Bloody git
    Years
    Honestly, I haven't noticed the Death Note fan base. (Aside from doujinshi and pairings of the male characters) If you compare it with Naruto or Pokemon, it is WAY out numbered. I think the fan base is fine. At one point, I loved Death Note. After episode 24 ish, the series became completely boring. (Yes, I have finished both anime and manga series including the movies) If someone wants to declare their love for Death Note, let them. Doesn't bother me nearly as much as the Naruto fanboys/girls.

Goatman56

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Death Note fantards? I have never seen one, ever. But I like the anime and the manga, it sounds like alot of people just lost interest after L died. But it didn't matter to much to me, I thought it was cool the way how Light just set everything up like that.

Notorious

Ready To Die
    Years
    One of the only Animes I've watched. It's storyline and plot is genius, up until the L dies. Death Note is waaaay over dramatic though. That's one thing I hate about it.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I don't have much to say about Death Note.

I watched SOME of it, and read some of it.. but I really prefered the movies.
    Live action ftw! >>;

However, I've never been real obessesed with it.
    & I don't understand what so many people see it in, that makes them able to obsesse over it.
    Still, those that are, that's cool. I just don't think it's the greatest anime.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    I can't stand them! Death Note was meant to be such a deep and insightful look into a new world and it's been completely infected and obliterated by fantards. To be honest, I have not seen a single episode, however I went to the effort of BUYING and READING the entire manga series and I'm sure that if I went to the effort of watching the Death Note series, I'd find that I enjoyed the manga a whole lot more.

I read the entire manga, and while it's one of my favourite series, the rabid fantards do drive me up the wall -- but that's really not series-specific :/ It's a universal problem. As for 'deep and insightful look into a new world', that's just your interpretation. An excerpt from How to Read 13:

How to Read 13: 'How to Create' Chapter

Were you aware of all the commentary about the series?
    Ohba: Not much during the serialization, though I did see a magazine article. But... it was too difficult for me to understand [laughs]. People were talking about some really serious stuff.
    Obata: It's true; some people may have been taking the series a little too seriously. The other day I saw a critic on television talking about Death Note, but it was so complicated that I didn't understand [laughs].
    Ohba: Death Note was never meant to be such a noble piece of work.
    Obata: Yes, we just want people to enjoy reading it, right?
    Ohba: Debates about Light being good or evil, or about the merits of our internet society -- these types of deep philosophical themes are totally different from the Death Note we imagined. 'Life and death...' 'Good and evil...' As I said in the interview, we never put much thought into it. We just wanted it to be entertaining.

The crazy fantards irritate me, as I said, but you can't just say these people are inferior fans because they don't explore Death Note as deeply as you; I enjoy debating Death Note, but I also enjoy lighter fangirl discussions. Ultimately, I'm enjoying it -- and at least these fans are enjoying it more than you are, because you're letting the fact that other people interpret the series differently to you spoil your enjoyment. :|

Back