• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Death

Ayselipera

What are your overall feelings on death and dying? Is it something that you fear or something that you accept? Have you always felt this way or has your feelings towards it changed over time and if so what brought about that change? Has death touched you dramatically in anyway through friends, family, etc?

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Death... I can't really describe it. I don't fear it anymore. When I was a kid, I thought of it like sleeping, where you dream forever or something. I don't think I've ever feared it.

I think it was a few months ago, in like October, when a friend of my friend's committed suicide. Another one died in a wreck, though that was last year. A teacher also died at my school. So yeah, it has.

Years
  • I accept that it happens to everyone. To be honest, other people dying just feels like a fact of life for me. It's kind of like "oh" instead of me getting depressed over it. I may be upset for a few days but it's not something that consumes me.

As for my own death, I also fear it. How painful will it be for me? Is there anything after death, or does it just... end?

Sometimes I wonder if my matter-of-fact way of thinking and dealing with it is because my father died when I was 5. I hardly remember that time at all. Oddly, after that, I didn't lose anyone really close to me for many years. My grandfather died last year. Honestly I get more upset talking about his death than my own father's, and even then, I'm still able to discuss it for a long time without getting upset. I think his struggle with Alzheimer's is more upsetting to me than his actual death.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I usually wish death upon myself or others; particularly when reading the news or when somebody turns on Radio 1.

I have never been affected by death nor do I fear it.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • "LALALA NOBODY DIES NOBODY DIES EVERYBODY STAYS ALIVE FOREVER NOT THINKING ABOUT THIS NO NO NO LALALALALA"

That is essentially my response. I can't handle the thought of death, it's not pleasant and it fills me with dread so I refuse to ever think about it lol. I'm even typing this incredibly fast so I can get the Hell out of this thread before I start seriously thinking about it.

But yeah, death terrifies me. For myself and others.

LEAVING NOW BYE.

Haguri

Wish Maker Haguri
    Years
  • Death used to be a terrifying thought to me. I remember when I was REALLY young I would cry to my father and ask if I was going to hell because Christian beliefs from my mother had been implanted into my head.

Now that I have developed opinions of my own and am free from her reign I accept death. I have my own beliefs upon what happens after death and accept what ever is to come. I am a spiritualist so it is only natural to accept it, I believe I chose to live in this time for a reason, but I also believe I have been here before so there is nothing to fear but the slight pain you may or may not feel before it ends.

I have more fear in dying alone. Of my parents dying (Which they will way before me) and my fiance passing before me. If I'm old, will I really have that many friends? What will become of me? That is my main fear about death.

Have I had close experiences family wise? Well yes. though none of it has ever had a large impact on who I am now.

Years
  • Death is an interesting topic for me.
    I accept everyone has to die at some point and there is no way around it, no matter how much someone might cling to the fact there is a potion of immortal people! XD

Anyway, I don't fear the typical side of death, I fear not being able to see friends, family and loved ones.

I have often tried to comprehend what it is for one to die, but I can't, I don't think many can. Is it just like sleep without waking? If so, you don't really remember sleep do you, it feels like no time passed, like blinking. Well think that but no waking.
    I just can't get my head around it.​

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    Can be useful when applied to others, quite less appealing when applied on you.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years
  • I've never felt the feeling of how someone close to you has died. My paternal grandparents died when I was still crawling.

Only recently though, I had found out one of my friend's dad had passed away. When I got the news, I was pretty shaken, but it didn't affect me much as I didn't know much about him. When I went over to his house to send my condolences in the morning, everyone mourned and didn't say a word, and my friend and his family were in tears as they sat close to his covered body.

I didn't want to be like that. I didn't want to see my parents dead at such a young age when you understood things. So everytime my parents didn't come home at the usual time from work, I'd worry. I'd call them up and if they didn't pick up, I'd call them again and again.

So, I'm very fearful of any of my loved ones losing their life. But in a distant part of my mind, I'd have to accept whatever inevitability.

As for death itself, it's a thought that I find interesting. I reckon you don't feel anything; you cease to think, feel, remember. You just disappear.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I don't know, I really don't want to die or grow old even. At times I have thought I wanted to die, but I think what I really wanted is to just disappear to somewhere, in a timeless place so I could take as much time as I needed to get my mind in order and think things over, and I still want that sometimes. The thing about death that kind of gets to me though is the fact that you are gone and won't ever come back, and then where are you? Are you in space? In people's minds? Like where, it's really something incomprehensable to me, I can't really fathom it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2012
    Death is inevitable. I know I will die someday, so why would I assume otherwise. At particularity, I just hope I won't die anytime soon.

My grandparents died on the same day in a car accident, my three cousins also experienced the same, and my biological father died from cancer. All in a year and a half.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I have accepted death completely, and I find death from age to be a quite beautiful moment, though it's still extremely painful for me to see/hear otherwise. I had experienced quite a few close deaths early in my life, including my paternal grandparents, my best friend, my moms brother and then my maternal grandmother. Death annoyed me at that point, I was more angry than sad, and it wasn't until my maternal grandmother passed away when I was 13 did it effect me otherwise. Everyone in my family hated her, but I was young, and had no reason to. I was alone in the room with her when she passed away. I asked her how it felt to die, among other things, and her lasts words were "the only more beautiful moment was the birth of your mother and uncle". Everything she said that day made me feel a lot better about things, simply put.

I do fear being stuck underground in a small coffin for eternity, though, in case I'm still pseudo-sentient. Which is why I'd like to be cremated with my ashes spread around the world, that way I would at least see it all once in my "life". To return to the earth and become it. That's really my only concern about death.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Death itself doesn't scare me. I've had loved ones pass away in my life, and I accept that everyone has to die and that everyone will eventually die one day. What does scare me is actually dying. I don't want it to be painful, and I don't want to feel anything from it. I'm so scared that one day I'm going to die and it will be painful. In fact, the only way I won't be scared of it is if I die one day in my sleep. My feelings for it have never changed.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Due to being a paranoid person in general, I'm not really afraid of death (such logic yeah) because with every pain I get I'm like "OH NO IS THAT BAD" and now I just accept, if it happens, it happens and so on. I'm not afraid of dying because I know if I die I'm meant to die, and if I'm meant to live I'll be saved/spared/whatever somehow, if that makes sense. What scares me the most is thinking about OTHERS dying. That's just the scariest thing to deal with and I don't like thinking about that at all and I avoid that as much as I can.

I'm also afraid of not being able to see those I care about again when I die, and how they'd take it, etc. Those two things are basically the scariest about death and the things I fear. I'm afraid of growing old though, and that the paranoia will build and be worse than I guess.

Years
  • Death doesn't bother me. I hardly think about it, because its inevitable. Everyone dies, so if your afraid of death you better get over it.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    "LALALA NOBODY DIES NOBODY DIES EVERYBODY STAYS ALIVE FOREVER NOT THINKING ABOUT THIS NO NO NO LALALALALA"

That is essentially my response. I can't handle the thought of death, it's not pleasant and it fills me with dread so I refuse to ever think about it lol. I'm even typing this incredibly fast so I can get the Hell out of this thread before I start seriously thinking about it.

But yeah, death terrifies me. For myself and others.

LEAVING NOW BYE.

Basically, this.

I understand that it's a part of life and that it happens, but it doesn't make it any more easy for me to grasp. I hate the thought of it and I don't deal with it well. It's just not a subject I particularly care for.

oocyst

SOFTware
    Years
  • When I was little I used to hate the idea of death. I always told my parents that I was going to invent something to prevent death when I was all grown up. I guess it was the thought of not existing that scared me. I don't know what happens to you when you die, but back then I didn't like the thought of it. Right now I'm not that scared of death anymore. I see it as a part of life, everything has to end some day. Death isn't necessarily something bad, I can't imagine living for about a hundred years and not growing tired of it. It has to be over some day, and the thought of that puts my mind at ease.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • It's not the actual death that unnerves me. I'll keep living my life, and when it ends, it ends.

It's the method of death that I fear.

Back