• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Debate Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
    Ahhh! Sorry for the stupid post decision. I got confuzzled about the whole "debate and question" thing. Plus, the other thread was in the OVP when I had seen it last, and I forgot about it. DDDD:

-kills self over silly mistake- ;;

What is everybody trying to prove by making these debates that end up just getting closed? Is this proof that we cannot handle a debate forum? Or that we don't need one? I want one though, in all honesty. :/

My debate was going good, but if the mods decide to close it; it's their decision.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    What is everybody trying to prove by making these debates that end up just getting closed? Is this proof that we cannot handle a debate forum? Or that we don't need one? I want one though, in all honesty. :/

The problem with debates are that they are so similar to discussions that could belong in other voting polls. I mean, since the majority of the debates out there have such various ways to reply and opinions based on the subject. The only slight difference is that discussion is really tended to be continued to debates and directed towards opinions trying to persuade others. But if that's one of the only difference, there's still some ways you could continue to "debate" on related threads like that (in the designated area; wherever that may be) without bringing out such sensitive subjects. I mean, who said that debates HAVE to be related to death of some type (or anything escalating to something of serious discussion)? Because out of all the debates I've seen so far after Erica stated that people could make debates, all of them somehow related to death in one way or another.

So, with all that said, if someone really wants to make a debate (from small, less sensitive subjects like random comparisons of colors) why can't someone just offer a little bit more discussion in a thread at Other Voting Polls and see how that goes? Like, for example, if there's a poll asking if learning history really mattered and asked "Do you think learning History in school matters?", you could actually continue the discussion than just posting your opinion on it. I mean, I remember a few months ago during the summer, topics like those would go on for a few pages before starting to simmer down in activeness.

Maybe it's just me... I mean, the description states to put thoughts in your replies and whatnot, but I don't really think that's happening if you only put your opinion on the matter and leave it for good which is what I see sometimes.

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    If you haven't noticed, there's already a thread for this in this forum.

locked.
    There was no suicide debate in that forum so I don't know what thread they are talking about. There is someone who was asking people whether they had considered suicide or felt suicide.

If the moderator had read my post then that would have been quite clear.

And if anyone for some weird reason copied my debate after I left...then their topic should be locked, I don't know, I haven't checked whether that happened.

Yeah, you've already made a "debate" thread today, no need to get over excited. Furthermore, debates about abortion never end pretty, and nothing changes. People will argue and argue without it going anywhere.

Erm last sentence is kind of like what a debate is...=) Unless the other debate folds and agrees with the other person (always unlikely) they tease out the logical issues with each others reasoning.

And yes debates on abortion won't be pretty unless the mature members who can handle it are given a place to debate.

Last edited:

マツバ

Cry for Clearity~
    Years
    And yes debates on abortion won't be pretty unless the mature members who can handle it are given a place to debate.
    No matter what, just because there's a place to debate, it will not magically go "poof, no fighting with bloody axe abortion threads!" no matter what forum it is put in, no matter how strict... Abortion, religion threads and those touchy issues don't work. -And don't take this too hard, but...- Stop sounding like there is this heavenly place of mature people where you would disagree elegantly and perfect debates can unfold. -If it's on other forums that you're on, great! Perhaps you can have some fun there, but here, no.- That's really all that last sentence says to me, and if so, you're only looking for something that will never exist, and lying to yourself. And the vague reasons you guys are coming up with to hopefully ensure this and somewhat opposing staff member decisions on locks is... well, good God.

Zet

Years
    There was no suicide debate in that forum so I don't know what thread they are talking about. There is someone who was asking people whether they had considered suicide or felt suicide.

If the moderator had read my post then that would have been quite clear.

And if anyone for some weird reason copied my debate after I left...then their topic should be locked, I don't know, I haven't checked whether that happened.

funny, I could have sworn suicide and suicidal fall under the category of suicide, might wanna think before posting and honestly you and angela both think you rule with an iron fist against any one that opposes you, reality check: you're both being ignorant, grow up

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    funny, I could have sworn suicide and suicidal fall under the category of suicide, might wanna think before posting and honestly you and angela both think you rule with an iron fist against any one that opposes you, reality check: you're both being ignorant, grow up

I said earlier on the topic that I agreed that perhaps we don't need a debate forum that we can use the OC... but I've seen I can't because a debate on whether suicide is morally justified is apparently the same as sharing times when you've felt suicidal.

If you read the first topic of my post... I also go into a discussion on Euthanasia too.

I'm not ignorant at all...telling someone to grow up is essentially an insult...especially where it isn't needed. Debates aren't supposed to be made personal attacks.

I don't actually agree that some of the 'debates' people have posted are valid because they are just posting them to prove the forum is needed instead of actually putting forward a logical clear angle to their debate (in other words, they didn't take time on it) where as I just wanted to use the OC to debate a topic but it was locked.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    OOOOOOOOKAAAAAAAAAAY.

I think the general consensus of everyone I've spoken to on staff about this is a resounding no. We don't see enough of a need for a debate forum so if I let this thread continue, it'll keep going nowhere fast. Thanks for the feedback, but we don't think it's necessary at this time.

By the way guys, when I say to go make debates in OC to prove we need one, I didn't mean to do it all at once; if you come up with a really good idea for a debate, post it and see how it goes. A sudden influx of debates means nothing to us, but a steady rise in activity and interest in debate threads over time might. This may take weeks, months, even a year or more. And it still might never even happen. :| So don't rush to fill OC with debate threads because that's... not gonna work.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back