• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

debt fear over children's game

Zet

Years
  • source

Young children have been running up gambling debts playing games of marbles in the street, with some resorting to stealing to pay them off, according to police.

Groups of up to 40 youngsters aged as young as five are playing the game, called "Pits", which involves flicking the marbles into an open water meter cover on the street surface.

Police in Plymouth, Devon, said parents have complained that some children are resorting to stealing cash, DVDs and computer games to pay off debts incurred by playing for money.

PCSO Dan Amador, of Devon and Cornwall Police, told the Plymouth Herald that youngsters in the North Prospect area of the city were playing a usually harmless children's game for hard cash, which could lead them into crime as they look for ways to pay off the debts.

"Historically this game would involve winning each other's marbles - but it has come to our attention more and more children are playing each other for money," he said.

"Over recent weeks we have been approached by parents telling us that their kids are asking for money to pay back debts owed to other children.

"I have also heard that money has been taken out of purses and things around the house have gone missing, like DVDs and PlayStation games."

Police and housing association staff are now going door-to-door in the area to talk to parents about the problem. Letters have also been sent to parents by the nearby school, the newspaper reported.

I remember just playing for marbles when I was a kid. I never resorted to money or anything more than marbles.

Reddit

Indubitably.
    Years
  • Kids are a lot like crack heads. Only instead of crack, it's candy and toys. They'll do anything to get money for their addiction to sugar and Pokeman.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Wow thats ridiculous to say the least lol. Problem is I have trouble believing these five year olds can really motivate someone to pay them back. I mean, it's not like they're very strong, nor do they cary firearms or anything intimidating... I bet it's like, "My older brother will beat you up!" lol.

But yeah, I remember playing for just marbles back in the day. And then card games got more popular among us and we started playing those.

Back