• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Decision making...would you really accept or denie the offer? [2]

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
Years
  • So! I just wanna hear lots of different opinions. There'll be a deeper reflection later on this thread ;)
    Someone gives you a little box with a red button on it. If you push the button someone you don't know will die, but you'll also get a million dollars.

Would you push the button? Yes? No? Why?

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Absolutely not. That would be incredibly vain and selfish of yourself while also being 100% against moral nature.

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
    Years
  • That's really sweet Samme. Good to hear from ya. I just don't get what you mean by moral nature.
    Do you mean ethics? It's not natural, it's cultural. Nor is moral, as it changes on different societies and different times.
    Stick around, I'll post a tale about the issue later on ;)

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I certainly would push the button. Plenty of people die every day, one more doesn't really matter to me and I wouldn't really care about the fact that I was responsible for the death.

If I somehow manage to kill a famous person, I'd be pretty annoyed if I killed someone cool; but satisfied if I managed to kill a scummy British politician or something.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    That's really sweet Samme. Good to hear from ya. I just don't get what you mean by moral nature.
    Do you mean ethics? It's not natural, it's cultural. Nor is moral, as it changes on different societies and different times.
    Stick around, I'll post a tale about the issue later on ;)

Yeah, that's what I meant. I can never think of sayings when I need to xD;

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    I'm usually against pushing large red buttons
    red buttons cause nothing but trouble...but, i probably don't give a damn about the life that is lost, I'll get a million dollars...and

i always did want to push a mysterious large red button

I accept your offer :D

michele

☮ & ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    i definitely would NOT push the button. i'd never kill an innocent human being just to further myself in life. i'm not that selfish.

Years
  • I wouldn't, but if you had a second box with a green button that would randomly kill one selfish murderer who had pressed the red button you might tempt me.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • It truly depends on the person that will suddenly drop dead. All that you've given me is that it's someone I don't know, which will initially pique my interests as it will assuredly not interfere with my social life in any ways and I still walk away a million dollars wealthier...and it is money that I could really use.

Upon further analysis of the quandary, I would rather dislike being responsible for the death of a genuinely good person such as a priest, a doctor on the cutting edge of cancer study, or a kindergarten teacher...on the other hand, if the person on the receiving end of my punishment is a murderer/rapist or one of the many many corrupt businessmen/politicians in the world, I would most likely have no reservations ridding the world of their filth to pocket an easy million.

statistically speaking, there are more hardened criminals and corrupt businessmen in the world than there are certifiable saints, which means that in this little gamble, the odds of killing someone that deserves to burn in Hell is greater than the odds of killing someone that's already earned their way into Heaven...

...In the end, I think a simple coin flip should suffice in handling this moral quarrel...simply because I could really, really use this money. :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    No way, I'd be plagued with guilt. I'm perfectly happy without a million dollars, anyway.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Um, everyone that says no is probably just saying that to look genuinely nice or caring. Don't get me wrong, some people would find it in their heart not to, but.. 99% of people would press it.

I would. I'd just hope I don't kill someone like a good singer or actor.

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
  • Definitely not unless I hate the person at first sight.
    And it feels really uncomfortable for me to have such a big sum of money right now.

Years
  • I don't know this person.
    I could benefit from that money and change my life.

I would push it.
    Like Ryan said, people die in the world, as harsh as it is, another person in a day, isn't going to make much difference.
    If I died today, there wouldn't be any fuss.
    Family and friends would grieve, but that is it.

People outside of Bristol and Cheshire wouldn't know.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Who knows? I could press the button but I'm pretty sure it would choose someone on the brink of death making it seem like they died without my interference. Of course killing someone is gonna hurt more than just the person dying, it'll be no better than using a Deathnote.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Warning: Um, this post starts nice then ends mean, this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just a few replies and I guess probably society in general because they're likely to think that.

Ughh, if it HAD to be the million or nothing, I wouldn't take it. As much as I hate humans I don't know, there's gotta be somebody for me (yeah go song lyrics o3o) or at least I'm hoping so, and in which case, I could have destroyed any chance of that, and yeah, my happiness comes into it too, since there are many factors affecting why I wouldn't. Another factor is... I'd just feel really guilty, I mean, I still feel bad for accidentally killing my quail.. God, if it wasn't done by accident, then I'd feel remorse forever, idk, it'd really get to me.

This in a way, is kinda similar to stealing. I wouldn't steal anyone elses stuff because I don't want to ruin an aspect of their lives in any possible way, and ending a life.. I would not do that. And even if there's noone for me, there's still a whole lot of friends I haven't met yet, and even if the friends I have now are nice, I just wouldn't want to as I still really want to meet a lot of people.

But hey, what if the random person was your future child too? Yeah wouldn't that just suck? :D Orrr, what if someone pressed the button and killed YOU.

Killed someone you love... ruined their lives as well as yours - that part of you could also be missing. Yeah, now I'm bringing karma into it like if you do something bad, something bad will happen to you, but really, that's how I see it.

Oh and. Money. Why should money equate to the loss of another's life?

SINCE WHEN HAS MONEY EVER MADE A DIFFERENCE? Even if you had no money, SOMEONE in this world would be nice enough to help you out, if you killed someone you could ruin said chance for another. Ultimately that could lead to another life lost.

And what the hell, why should ANYONE ever use the excuse that said person was going to die very soon. That doesn't matter. In those last few seconds SOMEONE could develop SOMETHING to help save their lives. If you have that attitude you might as well kill yourself now, because you have no compassion for other human beings. Why bother living on earth if you don't care about anyone else? Seriously, why bother existing?

Even if people around you die and you weren't involved, WHY CONTRIBUTE TO THE DEATHS? It's giving up someone elses LIFE. SOMEONE'S LIFE. Everything... those nine months spent in labour by that person's mother, the pain, the suffering, the life, the future, the destiny, their reason for living.. it'll all be gone.

I don't know how anyone COULD NOT CARE ABOUT BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR ONE'S DEATH. If you love killing random people so much, go be a murderer and go rot in jail where the rest of us who want to enjoy life don't have to put up with any of you. AND YET, most people that would take the million dollars would actually object to murdering anyone themselves. Yeah that's logic for ya. :D

I believe that everyone has some sort of destiny, and ending that earlier than expected, that's... just sad.

Also, as much as I'd like to do something bad to the robbers, I wouldn't. If you do that, you're just putting yourself on the same level as all the sick, twisted idiots that are in society. If you just killed them all, the world would be a better place, but no, that can't happen. So that rules out killing the idiots.

So how about killing a generally nice, good person, who actually made a contribution to life on earth? And no, this does not mean celebrities. I don't know why people immediately think of celebrities being the ones you'd hate to have killed. Since when should their lives be compared to someone who actually changed the world, made an improvement to the world... This meaning a doctor, someone that saves lives-- oh, I know why you don't care, because you want to end lives, right, I get it. o3o Though this isn't saying celebrities should die, but it is saying you should instead feel remorse for those that save lives.

Yeah, that was basically how I feel about it, again, not directed at anyone in particular, society in general. :3 And I'm sorry if I offended anyone by my views, I didn't mean to.

Last edited:

The Apprentice™

PC's Offical Gangsta
    Years
  • In my current position I need the money ^^ But, I wouldn't want to take a life, especially if I didn't know the person, but I would have to say shamefully that I would press the button.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    If human clone is real and the probability of killing one of the mass production clones is high
    or else, I will push the button because the chance of killing someone important is very low.

I want to know how will that person get killed, by sudden death or car crash.

My mom said sometimes you MUST be selfish, however, I know that my mom faced a selfish person.

The price of lives are relative, from person to person. The prices of your family members are high, and your friends are mid-high, people who you met are medium, and other people in the world are low.

You will get a different opinion and reasons if the button is REAL and right in front of you.
    Also, beware of the "big red button" stereotype.

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • It would depend on the manner/implications of the person's death. If I had no way of knowing who I was killing, then I wouldn't push the button. I mean, if the person I killed were some horrible criminal or a terrorist or something, then hell yeah I'd take the money, but I wouldn't want to take the chance that I'd be killing someone good.

Back