• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] Decomp Trainer Editor

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Decomp Trainer Editor - DTE
    A wild tool appeared!

wODs6Br.png

DTE allows you to modify every trainer's properties (and there are around 850 of them), as well as their Pokémon parties dynamically. What does this mean? You can add new items, Pokémon or moves to your repo and the tool shouldn't have any problem loading them, as long as you keep the few things that the tool uses as a base for loading everything. This will be further explained later.
    The tool has been tested, but I recommend taking precautions when using it.

Functionalities
    The tool is formed by two main parts; the trainer list and the editor tabs.

Spoiler:
    As you can see, every trainer in the game (well, in "src/constants/trainers.h") is listed here. The blank space below the list can be used to search for specific trainers.

Spoiler:
    You can find the most visible info of the trainer, as explained here:
    • The trainer name has a maximum of 11 characters and the tool will not allow more than that.
    • The trainer class only affects the money after winning and the "prefix" shown at the beginning of the battle.
    • The double battle check box makes just that. A double battle.
    • The items are those the trainer can use in a battle.
    • The trainer pic shown at the beginning and end of the battle.
    • The gender has almost no effect.
    • The trainer encounter music allows for changing the song that plays when being challenged by or challenging that trainer.

Spoiler:
    All the different artificial intelligences that can be given to a trainer. Not all the flags listed here are designed to be assigned to a trainer, but I felt like it was a good idea to give the user the chance to do as they please.

Spoiler:
    This tab contains allows you to edit the properties of a trainer's Pokemon, ranging from level to moves, including species and items. It is important to keep in mind that, in the case you assign a move to a party member, you will also have to manually choose the moves of the other Pokémon since they'll have no moves otherwise. Theres is an obvious limit of six party members which you can add, delete or change the order of using the buttons below the Pokémon list.

~ Disturbo

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen today
    Nice work. It might be worth making a table like this one so the user knows what they need to be careful about when editing source code.

The trainer name has a maximum of 11 characters and the tool will not allow more than that.

I'll push to make this a named constant, so you can do the right thing if someone decides they want longer trainer names.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Nice work. It might be worth making a table like this one so the user knows what they need to be careful about when editing source code.
    Ah yes, I should have done that. That'll come alognside specificactions about what you can edit before the tool stops working.

I'll push to make this a named constant, so you can do the right thing if someone decides they want longer trainer names.
    Sounds good. I'll be making some overall improvements to the code, I'll look for more things like this one.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2020
    How do I run this program? I have JDK installed, but I don't see an application file, or .jar file in the folders to run it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2021
    So good

If I increase the amount of modifications to a trainer's team manually from NotePad++ (specific genre of one of the pokemon, nature, among others), DTE will go without problems with the option to edit those features?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    You won't be able to edit those in specific but all other ones should work fine. I'll be working on custom fields in the next updates.

pokefreak890

The One that will make everything great
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2023
    i dont know if its happening to anyone else but when i use this program and DTE overworld they take forever to do everything to load up a trainer took 6 minutes in counting and saving took 20 minutes not sure if its just me but is there anyway to speed it up just wondering?

One other question I have when I try to give a trainer a Pidgeot it always autosaves or autoselect Pidgeotto after I go to the next trainer or click any button anyone know how to fix this issue

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Hey! Yes the tool can be very slow as it is not optimal in any shape or form, it depends on your hardware sadly (gotta look into parsing and alladat, it will take time to fix it). As for the autosave, I think I understand what you mean (whenever you select a different trainer, it saves all previous changes, correct?) This is something I should look into, since it can lead to confusion, thanks for noting it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2021
    This is super useful, thanks for sharing!

I have a question that I couldn't find an answer to through poking around. Does the tool support adding new trainers to `trainers.h`. I tried to do so (and added a new corresponding flag to `opponents.h`) and the tool began appending empty new lines to the files it writes to instead of actual data.

The quick fix I employed was simply using existing trainers (ex. `TRAINER_MAY_PLACEHOLDER `) and modifying them, but it'd be a bit easier to keep track of if renaming or adding new trainers was supported. If not, it's not a big deal.

Thanks again!

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    The most recent commit is a lot quicker than the current release. Any chance we can get an official release of the new version? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to build the jar myself. I can only get it to run in the IDE

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    The most recent commit is a lot quicker than the current release. Any chance we can get an official release of the new version? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to build the jar myself. I can only get it to run in the IDE
    Said and done! I just saw your comment a couple hours ago and decided to give the tool the refactor I wanted to give it a while a go. Still a long way to go before it's where I want it to be, but it's a start. Same link as in the post, or you can use this one.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I'm back again with another update! Y'all's complaints about loading times have been heard and it turns out that there was some rather large optimizations (and that I'm pretty surprised I didn't catch on earlier) I could do, so the loading times, at least in my pc, are basically gone! Link in the main post or here.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Last version had a couple of serious bugs, sorry for any inconvenience. Here is the latest version.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    More fixes yet again! As always, please report any if you find them, I'll do my best to fix them

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Does this tool only work for emerald or anything gen 3, and I see you have a set for IV's is that just applied to all the pokemon's stats, and is setting evs an option?
    Yes, it only works for Pokeemerald. If you attempt to open Pokeruby or Pokefirered on it, the tool doesn't load anything.

The IVs field is not something introduced by the editor, it's all vanilla code. It goes from 0 to 255 and affects all of a Pokémon's stats.
    Setting the field to 255 means the Pokémon will have 31 IVs in its 6 stats.
    Presumably, each 8 points you add to that field should translate to 1 IV in each stat.

And no, since this editor doesn't introduce original code and vanilla doesn't let you edit a trainer's Pokémon's EVs, you can't modify those using this tool.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Lunos described it perfectly. I'd also like to point out that the new rhh-expansion has added a pretty handy feature (#ifdefs, making development of the three branches easier) which is not supported by the tool.

Back