• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Delete an older move, to make room for ____?"

Dominance

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2011
    Seeing as I only play RBY and GSC, this occurs to me often. And when I played the later gens this still was a problem since using Heart Scales and stuff was a hassle IMO.

Agreed, it was much harder in R/B/Y/G/S/C when it doesn't tell you what the attack does etc, unless you know the attacks power/effect/PP before hand, it's quite hard to decide.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Prior to the Internet age and the dawn of Bulbapedia's efficiency, this was quite the pain in Pokemon Sapphire Version, as I was unfamiliar with several moves. If a move seemed like a powerful version of a move I currently had, then the choice wasn't too hard. With Bulbapedia, this will likely hardly be a problem again. Though I still have to spend time planning movesets prior to Pokemon training... >_>

Agreed, it was much harder in R/B/Y/G/S/C when it doesn't tell you what the attack does etc, unless you know the attacks power/effect/PP before hand, it's quite hard to decide.

I heard about that lack of the move description feature in the older Pokemon games...I'd be horrified if I didn't even have that feature to assist me in pondering over what move to delete. :<

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
    It is VERY dependant on the move in question and the moveset. I think I make each choice you listed equally in frequency to be honest...

A recent case was with my Emboar, which had Flame Charge, Brick Break, Earthquake, and Rock Slide, and I wanted to teach it Wild Charge. I didn't want to remove Earthquake or Rock Slide, but didn't want to remove my STAB moves. I used all 4 of the moves a lot, and was torn up. I stared at the screen for 5 minutes contemplating whether to give up or delete something...

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I usually don't plan out my moveset. I like to be surprised at what my pokemon can learn. If the move seems suitable at the time, I will add it and delete another move. I like to try out new moves and see how they work out. It's better to learn that way I think.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'll skip it if it isn't a better version of an existing move in a set I'm happy with. There's always the move tutor these days, after all.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
    Typically I have a planned moveset for some Pokemon. Otherwise I take the best move. Really it depends on what the move does and what moves I have. I carefully choose my moves.

Back