• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The Nintendo 3DS line supports MP3 files since day one. ;)

That actually makes things a lot more convenient for me - I can pretty much throw anything on every mobile device I use. Well, for music, at least.

Years
  • So I had to "reinstall" Windows onto my laptop this morning. There was just a bunch of corrupted files on it that Windows couldn't fix for some odd reason. If only the programs could be kept installed, I would have been a happy camper.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    So I had to "reinstall" Windows onto my laptop this morning. There was just a bunch of corrupted files on it that Windows couldn't fix for some odd reason. If only the programs could be kept installed, I would have been a happy camper.

Out of curiosity, what were the problematic files? Windows should be very resilient to system file corruption these days, especially if System Protection is enabled.

You could make use of the information to prevent it in the future.

Years
  • Out of curiosity, what were the problematic files? Windows should be very resilient to system file corruption these days, especially if System Protection is enabled.

You could make use of the information to prevent it in the future.
    It didn't specify, and I looked, or maybe I didn't look enough. Did I run a wrong command though? I did an sfc/scannow.

Years
  • Finally, I fixed my PS2 keyboard's space bar earlier this evening. A few months ago, I quit using the keyboard because it had a loose contact and every time I hit the space bar, it would lift up off the keyboard and become unfastened. This evening, I looked at the key, and finally found the problem. In the long run, I freed up a USB port on my desktop, and I got a keyboard back that now allows me to adjust the volume without having to open up the controls from the taskbar :p

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    You should probably start taking a look at Bluetooth keyboards, mice, and trackpads. These won't take up any ports that could be used for more useful purposes.

Seeing as it's a desktop, also consider an adapter, internal or external.

Years
  • I still prefer wired to wireless anything, to be honest, though.. because I still forget to charge/replace batteries every now and then.

Anyways, are there any Android users out there? Did you guys get an update to the camera app recently with a refreshed UI?

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Wired > Wireless, because who has time or money for batteries? :<

Also what is this bluetooth keybrd/mouse I have not heard of this

Heh, sounds rather interesting. I'd really like to keep my USB ports for things that matter, so that might be a plus. :3

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • I use CyanogenMod 11 so nope. I have to wait for an update via them to be released, only then to be built into the version of CM11 that I use.

Speaking of failed systems, at school today, one of the lab computers failed to start Windows 7 properly. It'd do the booting logo, then show a mouse in 640x480 resolution instead of the massive 16:9 resolution it normally has (Can't remember the exact size :c). Doing a Windows repair did diddly squat, safe mode did the same thing even. No idea why it won't boot.

I will never forget that Tech Dept story I read here somewhere of a student's screen exploding. "He was working on his Research Paper and his monitor suddenly exploded". WELP OKAY THANKS I'LL GET RIGHT TO THAT, DON'T WORRY THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME WE CAN HANDLE IT

Years
  • Oh, that reminds me now of when my previous Acer monitor died, in a way. On the last two days of it functioning, the picture turned off instantly the first few times of trying to get it to run, but the power button stayed lit. Then on its last leg, I can recall it suddenly burning out after increasing the brightness on it and just smelled the burning plastic. I unplugged it quickly thereafter though.

It was probably a blown capacitor. I had a feeling the monitor was close to dying though, because I heard a faint humming sound come from it whenever I turned it on months prior to its death.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Speaking of monitors and displays, the 1080p IPS panel on my laptop is very nice, especially with it being matte by default.

To be honest, I've never seen such a colourful laptop display before. It would hurt a lot for it to blow up.

At least the laptop is warranted for two years, international.

Years
  • Oh gosh, a warranty that's more than one year here at most retailers would cost nearly have of the price you paid for the device. Hopefully my laptop doesn't mess up outside of the warranty period, though.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • I found this nice little 23" 1080p monitor on PC Part Picker (forget the brand, it's in my build but I don't wanna dig it up), and it had about 30 or so ratings averaging 4.2 stars. I really want to get that for my Golden Cougar build as our current monitor glows like a radioactive meteor (and is 1280x768 eww), not to mention it's VGA and if I'm to use a decent graphics card it's going to have to be compatible with both (as for now I'm sticking to on-board graphics as right now a high-end GPU costs almost double the entire PC).

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I found this nice little 23" 1080p monitor on PC Part Picker (forget the brand, it's in my build but I don't wanna dig it up), and it had about 30 or so ratings averaging 4.2 stars. I really want to get that for my Golden Cougar build as our current monitor glows like a radioactive meteor (and is 1280x768 eww), not to mention it's VGA and if I'm to use a decent graphics card it's going to have to be compatible with both (as for now I'm sticking to on-board graphics as right now a high-end GPU costs almost double the entire PC).

Alex, you don't need to get a high-end GPU. You can probably get away with a mid-range GPU and get away with it even with 1080p gaming, as long as you set your expectations properly.

Heck, even a graphics card on the level of a 760M would probably feel fine, and that's a mobile chip!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Alex, you don't need to get a high-end GPU. You can probably get away with a mid-range GPU and get away with it even with 1080p gaming, as long as you set your expectations properly.

Heck, even a graphics card on the level of a 760M would probably feel fine, and that's a mobile chip!
    Even a budget graphics card will outperform even the best integrated solution by at least an order of magnitude. There's no reason to use integrated.

Right now, I recommend the GeForce GT 640 for budget. $80 and will significantly outperform integrated. I'm using a GeForce GTX 650, which ran me somewhere in the neighborhood of $130, and it runs most stuff I throw at it just fine.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Hmm... I do wonder how much video card you can get for $100 these days.

I'd suggest going slightly over, though, since the GTX 750 and 750 Ti are extremely good, especially in terms of power/performance and performance/dollar ratios. (You can get away with a weak PSU and no further power connections with one.)

Perhaps this will be of use.

I'll let this image explain itself.

geforce-gtx-750-ti-upgrade-your-basic-pc-640px.jpg

Last edited:
    Years
  • The graphics card now I have in my desktop is somewhat old, but I still like it. At least I have a dedicated GPU in my desktop, that's for sure. It's not enough to game with, but it does make a lot of things smoother such as watching videos on Youtube.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Wired > Wireless, because who has time or money for batteries? :<

Yup, exactly. :( Not only that, but if they're rechargeable kind, you also forget to plug them in from time to time and realize it only when it comes to actually using. That could honestly be pretty frustrating; happened to me plenty of times before, haha.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back