• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I think the first phone brand that I had was a Motorola flip phone, but now that we have the iPhone we stick with that. Everyone in my family has iPhones now, we've been with AT&T for a while and have had good service from them. Although my iPhone has been wonky as of recent and needs a backup, but that requires me to dump some things off of it.

Years
    iPhones are easy to backup though, and no content gets lost at all. If you have iCloud enabled on your iPhone, restoration should be a breeze :)

Years
    You do only get 5 GB free backup through iCloud, though.
    Hmm, why did I forget about that part? Probably because I only back up photos and whatnot. All of my music is easily accessible via iTunes, so I have no need really to back up music into iCloud.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I keep thinking that getting an iPod touch is probably a bad idea. Hmm...

As for avoiding phones with buttons on the back, well... I don't get it. I'd rather have the buttons on the side, and nowhere near the centre of the phone, no matter what.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    I keep thinking that getting an iPod touch is probably a bad idea. Hmm...

As for avoiding phones with buttons on the back, well... I don't get it. I'd rather have the buttons on the side, and nowhere near the centre of the phone, no matter what.

I guess the general idea is that your finger lies on the back of the device when you hold it on your hand. I own the LG G2 - yes, the phone with buttons on the back.

To me, this is a neat concept. However, LG's execution (at least for the G2) was fairly poor. Until now, I'm still having a lot of trouble trying to take a screenshot using buttons.

Years
    I would never want to have a device that is generally placed in pockets to have buttons that come outward. That right there is an autodial mistake waiting to happen. :|

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    I would never want to have a device that is generally placed in pockets to have buttons that come outward. That right there is an autodial mistake waiting to happen. :|

Oh gosh, remember all of the butt-dials that used to happen?

Buoysel

Years
    I don't. (Then again, PIN-based phone locking is a thing since forever!)

No, PIN-based hasn't been around that long. I only remember it really being an option on touchscreen phones. I had a BB Peral, it may have had it, but I didn't use it. I know the old Nokias didn't have them. You had to press Menu * to unlock them. Sometimes that would be defeated by button mashing when you would sit down.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    No, PIN-based hasn't been around that long. I only remember it really being an option on touchscreen phones. I had a BB Peral, it may have had it, but I didn't use it. I know the old Nokias didn't have them. You had to press Menu * to unlock them. Sometimes that would be defeated by button mashing when you would sit down.

Huh? You could have always set a PIN even on old Nokias.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I don't remember that, it's been too long.

ITT I feel old. >_>

This reminds me when sometimes I have to set my mother's PIN to her cellphone to the point that I started to getting reminded of it every time she asked me to enter it for her. And I think, it was quite long before my mom started to use the classic Nokia phones, too. Iirc, the old Siemens phones have it too.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Hey guys, I have a really cool anomaly - a really bad performance bottleneck... with the CPU. I have a 45nm Diamondville Atom and it's slow enough to where I get really bad skips with 360p YouTube streaming while loading VS in the background. I've since put an SSD and a larger RAM module in this thing, and unless it's the RAM (which I kind of doubt, but then again who knows), I'm getting really bad performance out of the CPU on my computer, and with an Intel chip no less. This doesn't happen all too often, does it?

I'd say I've gotten slightly better performance out of a 90nm Athlon, and loads better performance out of a 45nm Sempron. And my battery isn't even that great anyway, plus I'm missing my charger >_>

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    I might be wrong, but the Atoms I have met were quite poor in regards of CPU performance. As I use and help people with Linux, these PCs usually give their best with a light distribution that doesn't eat much RAM and uses less CPU. What system do you use?

Buoysel

Years
    Hey guys, I have a really cool anomaly - a really bad performance bottleneck... with the CPU. I have a 45nm Diamondville Atom and it's slow enough to where I get really bad skips with 360p YouTube streaming while loading VS in the background. I've since put an SSD and a larger RAM module in this thing, and unless it's the RAM (which I kind of doubt, but then again who knows), I'm getting really bad performance out of the CPU on my computer, and with an Intel chip no less. This doesn't happen all too often, does it?

I'd say I've gotten slightly better performance out of a 90nm Athlon, and loads better performance out of a 45nm Sempron. And my battery isn't even that great anyway, plus I'm missing my charger >_>

What is the model number of the CPU? The new Atoms are decent processors for browsing the web. I've used a 1.1GHz Celeron to push two 1080p YouTube Vidoes, so I doubt it's the CPU bottleneck. I bet it's something else gobbling up the CPU cycles.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    What is the model number of the CPU? The new Atoms are decent processors for browsing the web. I've used a 1.1GHz Celeron to push two 1080p YouTube Vidoes, so I doubt it's the CPU bottleneck. I bet it's something else gobbling up the CPU cycles.

This one does great with GNU/Lunix, but Windows 7 is morbidly obese so naturally it's having a hard time adjusting from the old XP. A friend gave me a copy of Seven and I was having a hard time with XP's lack of support for apps I use, so I said Wynaut. It's a legacy N280 Atom from mid-2009 running at 1.66GHz, so I guess it's kind of expected that it does what it does.

Windows is gobbling up the CPU cycles. :P

I'm actually doing Windows-side development for a multi-platform project I'm part of, so even if I forfeit my Windows-exclusive things for #! or something I still have to use the horrible Windows API at worst and VS at best. :/

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    I think that answers most questions. Then the best thing you can do is to read about how to get your Windows 7 run at a minimum and bear with it. If you make cross platform things, you could also try MonoDevelop instead of VS, the program is less heavy, I think.

Years
    This one does great with GNU/Lunix, but Windows 7 is morbidly obese so naturally it's having a hard time adjusting from the old XP. A friend gave me a copy of Seven and I was having a hard time with XP's lack of support for apps I use, so I said Wynaut. It's a legacy N280 Atom from mid-2009 running at 1.66GHz, so I guess it's kind of expected that it does what it does.

Windows is gobbling up the CPU cycles. :P

I'm actually doing Windows-side development for a multi-platform project I'm part of, so even if I forfeit my Windows-exclusive things for #! or something I still have to use the horrible Windows API at worst and VS at best. :/

Turn off Aero if you haven't already. You might see a noticeable jump in performance.

The Diamondville is getting up there in years.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back