• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • Sssh...did you know that you now have a laptop that can run Crysis (if barely)?

I want Windows 10 to come as soon as possible.
    Audio rips badly with nothing else running (likely because Windows), and Minecraft slows to a grinding halt on all-low settings while listening to music with Skype and a web browser open (Opera) with nothing else up. I doubt that :P

As for Windows 10, I don't really care. I just use 8.1, and that's that. If I need extra performance for some things I could put Linux back.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Audio rips badly with nothing else running (likely because Windows), and Minecraft slows to a grinding halt on all-low settings while listening to music with Skype and a web browser open (Opera) with nothing else up. I doubt that :P

Minecraft performance isn't really indicative of performance of DirectX-based video games that do not rely on Java. (Intel drivers perform relatively poorly with OpenGL code, and Java is slower than any form of native code)

As for "audio ripping badly", what do you mean by that? Windows Vista and later versions have provisions to prevent audio skipping as much as possible during media playback, and I'm willing to bet that something is really off. (Try using Windows Media Player to play your music, to see if it's just your app.)

Years
  • Sometimes audio skips can occur because of CPU/RAM lag as well, depending on how much is in use. I've noticed that with my desktop at times, but it usually resolves if I close other programs.

Years
  • My MacBook does have the occasional audio skip when i'm watching YouTube or something, but it's not something that really becomes a problem. But when they cause the computer to freeze up entirely and need to restart, then it sucks.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    My MacBook does have the occasional audio skip when i'm watching YouTube or something, but it's not something that really becomes a problem. But when they cause the computer to freeze up entirely and need to restart, then it sucks.

Usually, if something manages to lock up a computer without showing a fatal error message or automatically restarting, it's probably the hardware.

Years
  • Android USB tethering + Virtual Router = hotspot (using staff wifi) for my 3DS. The student wifi is as unstable as is, and it's the only network my 3DS can connect to. :|

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Usually, if something manages to lock up a computer without showing a fatal error message or automatically restarting, it's probably the hardware.

Low end hardware not so. The old Atoms where so terribly under powered it was impossible to open more than one program at a time. Even today's lowest end device is light years better than the Atoms of yesteryear. Baytrail CPU's are pretty nifty imo.

As some of you may or may not know, I started a new job this week with a huge company. I looked up the specs of the laptop I will be getting assigned to me... I'm honestly scared.

The laptop is what HP calls a mobile workstation, and for good reason. It retails for more than $4,400.00 USD! Benchmarks on the CPU are almost as high as I my Ivy bridge desktop i7! It also has 32GB of RAM... on a laptop! If this is what I have been missing out by not working in a big corporate IT, I should of joined a long time ago! (YMMV)

Years
  • It seems that every time I open iTunes, there's an update to it. I really wish there was a way that iTunes updates could be performed without having to restart my computer...

Years
    Years
  • I use iTunes on my computer for music, grown too used to it to change. I need to reformat my iPod sometime though.. it's so old (2006 old) that it makes iTunes freeze almost every time I move on to the next song when it's plugged into my laptop. :'(

Years
  • *** Wild moderator notice appeared! ***

I've been seeing a lot of members coming into this thread recently looking for help for their tech problems. Sure, this is the section to come to if you cannot find an answer, but I want to keep in mind that this thread is to not be used with getting tech help. It is meant for more casual and laid-back chit chat that rolls along with a certain topic. Please refer to the opening post in the thread on how to go about using it for its intended purpose.

I realize that this is a sudden change, but I feel that it's for the better of users at the same time. The [Help] prefix exists for a reason when creating new threads within the section, and I'd like to see it get used for its intended purpose. Plus, if you post your request for tech help in here, it might not get seen by people who may be able to help, or it simply gets skipped over by ongoing previous discussion.

Please, please create a new thread when asking for help, or advice. If you have any questions regarding this change, please do not hesitate to contact me. :)

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    *** Wild moderator notice appeared! ***

I've been seeing a lot of members coming into this thread recently looking for help for their tech problems. Sure, this is the section to come to if you cannot find an answer, but I want to keep in mind that this thread is to not be used with getting tech help. It is meant for more casual and laid-back chit chat that rolls along with a certain topic. Please refer to the opening post in the thread on how to go about using it for its intended purpose.

I realize that this is a sudden change, but I feel that it's for the better of users at the same time. The [Help] prefix exists for a reason when creating new threads within the section, and I'd like to see it get used for its intended purpose. Plus, if you post your request for tech help in here, it might not get seen by people who may be able to help, or it simply gets skipped over by ongoing previous discussion.

Please, please create a new thread when asking for help, or advice. If you have any questions regarding this change, please do not hesitate to contact me. :)

Good advice. I'd suggest also putting it at the opening post. Right before any froofy things.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I bought a new backpack to deal with my stupidly large work laptop. Gotta say though. I'm loving the new backpack. It's a Timbuk2.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I went in the exact opposite direction when I got my Macbook last year. I used to carry my old laptop in a messenger bag and I hated it. Now my Macbook is small enough that it fits in a sleeve and I've found that I carry it with me to work and other places a lot more. It helps that the battery life is fantastic and I don't have to haul a charger with me either.

Years
  • I don't really have a work computer but I bought this nice $350 Acer Aspire XC desktop almost 2 months ago. I mainly use it for steam games and 3D modeling, and soon to try game developing. It can run almost all my games well enough to be playable, unlike my older $200-ish laptop. I do need to upgrade that ram to a 4x2 set so I can have that beautiful 8 gb of RAM and eventually even update the graphics card.

Years
  • I carry my laptop in a laptop bag. I would put it in a sleeve to conserve space, but my actual school backpack is already full enough as is.

Years
  • Heh, I was given some random laptop backpack a while ago, although I don't actually use it for a carrying a laptop, since I'd rather not use that piece of crap unless I absolutely have to. Instead I use it for carrying around my tablet whenever I go out. I do want something smaller though, since a bag like that is a bit overkill for a tablet.

Years
  • I have a pink laptop bag but it's too big for my laptop so I ended up having to get a new one (which is way better and fits awesomely). Hardly ever take my laptop anywhere though unless we go on trips or occasionally to school when I was still attending, so it's been sitting unused ahaha.

Years
  • I don't use any laptop bag other than my class backpack. But I did get an orange shield for it back two years ago, even if it's not completely clean.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back