• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • That's kinda why I've been avoiding the use of any smartphones up till now. Been rocking old school Sony Ericssons so far, but android has become far too tempting for me. I'm gonna miss my phone, was so used to using the A200 UI...
    And I thought I was old :P still rockin' a Motorola Razr haha

But there are some Android phones on the market that come with physical keyboards, if that could be classic enough for some people.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Sometimes I wish you could upgrade a phone's hardware for free while retaining the external appearance. These phones are getting bigger and bigger... For some reason, 4.x" phones now qualify as "mini". I want better hardware, but I obviously can't upgrade my pockets. :P
    The problem is that phones still have a huge amount of bezel on them. a 4.5 inch screen would be fine if there wasn't a whole lot of bezel. Oh, and phones need better design. See the phone in my post? Now that's quality design work.

And I thought I was old :P still rockin' a Motorola Razr haha

But there are some Android phones on the market that come with physical keyboards, if that could be classic enough for some people.
    No, your old, mine is from 2009.
    se-w995-001.jpg

Just imagine it battered and old.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Finding a decent phone with a physical keyboard these days is almost impossible...

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Finding a decent phone with a physical keyboard these days is almost impossible...
    The nokia 515 and the Samsung S5610 are pretty decent models, but lack the wifi necessary to make them essential. Of course if I were in Japan, I would want this bad boy....
    samsung-w999-open.jpg

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The nokia 515 and the Samsung S5610 are pretty decent models, but lack the wifi necessary to make them essential. Of course if I were in Japan, I would want this bad boy....
    samsung-w999-open.jpg

You mean China. :)

Oh, and these phones are ridiculously expensive for the novelty factor.

At least there's nothing stopping you from using a smartphone as a phone, but wouldn't it be a waste of money if it's not a low-end phone?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Oh goodness, that made me feel a little nostalgic! xD Looks like a combination of a RAZR and a Blackberry Pearl Flip. I still have my suuuuper old RAZR phone, still in working condition, haven't bothered recycling it.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    You mean China. :)

Oh, and these phones are ridiculously expensive for the novelty factor.

At least there's nothing stopping you from using a smartphone as a phone, but wouldn't it be a waste of money if it's not a low-end phone?
    Yep, a wast of money. Which is quite frankly why I'm excited for my new phone. Paycheck still hasn't come in for me to buy it yet, but when it does...

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I'm pretty happy with my phone right now with CM11 and 4.4.2. It's running quite smoothly and KitKat runs so well omg.

Years
  • There are some things I will miss about 4.3 on my Nexus 7.. a few of my apps stopped working properly after the KitKat upgrade, and they still have yet to update :(

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I depend on autocorrect on both my phone and tablet with the SwiftKey keyboard. I love it <3

This is the only thing I miss about android, but god I miss it so much. DAMN YOU APPLE

Is CM11 still at a nightly?

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Meanwhile I'm still waiting for 4.3 on AT&T Galaxy note 2.

I'm sure CM has one unofficially for that if they have an official one for the Verizon Note II. Nothing official yet but they have 4.3 in nightly format -- http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=t0lteatt

This is the only thing I miss about android, but god I miss it so much. DAMN YOU APPLE

Is CM11 still at a nightly?

Yeah, it was just started a month ago. It's so smooth though.

Years
  • There are so many non-stock Android ROMs out there I'm not sure what I should try out when I do lose the warranty on my tablet.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm always wary about custom firmware as I prefer everything in a device working as it should and consistently (unless the stock firmware is bonkers).

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Eh, the farthest I'd go with decking out android would be with a launcher, and that's it. Custom firmware's is something I'd do only when I know the ins and outs of android.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I just got the replacement battery for my laptop. Looks like I'll be charging it overnight...

Years
  • Eh, the farthest I'd go with decking out android would be with a launcher, and that's it. Custom firmware's is something I'd do only when I know the ins and outs of android.
    Although it may not seem like it, there are actually some benefits with rooting on Android, and that's mainly customization. If I were to root my tablet, I could enable the tablet UI on my Nexus 7, which is something Google doesn't patch in the Nexus 7, but rather only the phablet UI.

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Zach, if I were you I'd just do what you want with the tablet. In the very unlikely event that you some how **** it up, flashing stock and restoring the bootloader lock will eliminate any evidence you were ever rooted.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    He did it before and his mom went bananas. Also, Zach, tablet ui has been completely eliminated in 4.4's code. Anyway, Zach, don't tell your mom. Restoring it is so easy that it'd take you ten minutes. Nexus devices are made to be toyed with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back