• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developing: Massive 9.0 Magnitude Earthquake hits Japan

Years
    The fact that the casualties have been very minimal (in proportion to the quake) is a testament to the Disaster Preparedness and extensive Engineering implementation in Japan

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm now being warned to not get to any coastal areas for safety's sake on the news. Tsunamis can be scary stuff.

NatureKeeper

Ouch...That must be a darn on of a catastrophe. How many casualties are there?
    I hope they get fine out of this mess. (An earthquake AND a tsunami?)

Years
    The fact that the casualties have been very minimal (in proportion to the quake) is a testament to the Disaster Preparedness and extensive Engineering implementation in Japan

That's an excellent point. Given the power of the quake and the tsunami, the death toll should have been in the thousands.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 25, 2024
    I hope they get fine out of this mess. (An earthquake AND a tsunami?)

Well, earthquakes ARE the result of seismic waves created from the Earth's crust, so it's not suprising that those two are common together.

It's pathetic and ignorant how people are willing to believe that this happened because the Japanese (not my own words, btw) "believed in false gods and idols and not God and Jesus".

Another pathetic thing is that people are arguing about religious standpoints and "judgement day" at a time like this.

Truly pathetic.

My condolonces to those who died, as well as their families. :(

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    hurricane season hasn't even started yet so i really hope japan will recover from this and that they stay safe in the future

Gabri

m8
    Years
    I heard about this this morning and saw just now how bad it was. My thoughts and hopes are with the Japanese, and I hope they can recover well from this.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    This is really bad news for anyone in japan or has relatives in japan. My hope goes out to you.

I am outraged with the religious junk about the coming of Jesus. Guys, stop that rubbish PLEASE.

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
    Years
    I'm more worried about the effect on the nuclear reactors, they already reckon there may be a possible radiation leak.

Hope everyone is okay over there.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Im watching it right now on the Morning Show. There is so much stuff in the water, from birds eye it looks like a tsunami of lego. There was a man running in the birds eye who died, he had the spot light effect on him in the clip. And now there is a radioactive emergency, as one of the nuclear reactors blew up or something.

It seems like there are natural disasters going on everywhere...

Yeah I think the death toll is now in the thousands. A reporter was saying that the result could have been better if the people of Japan didn't rely on their technology to tell them a tsunami was coming after a quake of that size. As many thousands waited for the evacuation signal, which was too short notice.

Last edited:
    Years
    As soon as I got up and turned on CNN, this is what I saw. I've been watching it unfold as of right now. I even got the TV on to hear more reports. I've heard that a reactor is having problems shutting down. I hope it doesn't become another Chernobyl.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    The tsunami effects has definitely impacted the western coast of the US, especially the Los Angeles and San Diego areas. This is the first time in my life that I've actually been under a Tsunami Warning (being a new resident in the San Diego area). The warning lasted several hours during the nighttime, until then it became more of an advisory. Schools didn't cancel or anything here in SD, everything went as if today was a normal, boring day. The LA area and above got most of the damage than any other part of the west coast, especially Crescent City, which is the hardest hit. I was a bit concerned that I'd be seeing some waves coming ashore, since I live near the coast, but nothing happened. As far as I know, no damage have been reported here in the San Diego area.

On a related note. I knew about the earthquake before those "bozo" news networks went on the air to break the news about it. I knew that the cities of Sendai and Tokyo would be extensively damaged by the 8.9 quake, but I never thought that this would trigger a massive tsunami. Reminds me of the 2004 Tsunami in Indonesia. I also never thought that the tsunami would actually impact the whole Pacific Ocean. It's amazing what natural disasters can do.

Japan and the citizens who've been affected by this awful natural disaster are in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope and pray for a quick recovery.

Years
    I
    Yeah I think the death toll is now in the thousands. A reporter was saying that the result could have been better if the people of Japan didn't rely on their technology to tell them a tsunami was coming after a quake of that size. As many thousands waited for the evacuation signal, which was too short notice.

As I've pointed out, Japan has faired quite well compared to other recent Earthquakes in proportion to the magnitude of the earthquake. The technology WARNED them. What do you expect to warn them otherwise? Not everyone is a nature whisperer. :/

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
    Years
    My prayers go to all those in this disaster area and to the families and friends who have loved ones there.

And just saying since I saw some mention of it, it's foolish to blame this on their beliefs/religion. I am a Christian and believe in God but to blame a large event for being created in order to kill is a case of ignorance/foolishness.

Once again, I pray for those effected by this and wish them well in the future.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I was rather worried when I heard about it, I swear reporting on this sucks because I was worried about our friends that live in Hiroshima but its probably one of the safest places in the country... dunno about the tsunamis though... ugh. I wish they'd actually tell us what is going on besides "BIG MOTHA****IN' EARTHQUAKE!!!"

But yeah, as Netto said, it's amazing how they managed to keep the death toll so low. I mean, they shut down everything automatically when there's an earhtquake and all. Incredible. If this were to happen in somewhere like Indonesia or China, there'd be thousands dead right off the mark.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    I've been watching this and hoping Japan emerges from this disaster fairly well.

I also can't help but notice that whenever a earthquake this large happens, there's like a series of big earthquakes around the entire pacific plate throughout the following weeks. It's like when one part of the plate gets a jolt, the rest of it follows.

I'm on the US East Coast, so I'm fairly unaffected by this, but it's kinda scary what's happening.

And right now on CNN I just heard that there's a nuclear plant that's having trouble cooling down.

Back