• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Diamond or Pearl?

Years
    I know this is such a standard question, but I've searched all over the forum and found nothing on this topic, so might as well make my own. This isn't information based question, but more of an opinionated question:

Which one? Diamond or Pearl?

I'm planning on buying a DS soon (Bought my girlfriend one with Mario Kart....so tempted to open it) and I kinda am interested in one of the Pokemon versions for DS, but I know nothing of the new Pokemon game. There are a questions I am in need of answers such as:

- What is the total amount of new pokemon aside from the 386?
    - What region is the game based off of? (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Whatever that new region is called)
    - Differences
    - What are the new legendary Pokemon (Names and their orgins I guess)
    - How does the GBA packs work with the DS games...You know, transferring your Pokemon? (Can the "old skool" games work as well? Such as Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal?)

I have many more, but I wanna get to my point.

Which one to choose?

Everyone seems to want Diamond, but pearl looks more interesting....which one? Whats the difference besides Pokemon? How many more Pokemon to catch is it? 482? I forget... Is it possible to catch Mew without glitch? Same with Celibi?

Help please, your answers and opinions are greatly appreciated.

- MegamanC

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    1.) 107 new Pokemon
    2.) Shinou or Shinnoh
    3.) Shinou has a Snowy city (Snowpoint City) thats the difference
    4.) too many legendaries - Arecus, Shaymin, Darkrai, Manaphy, Phione, Creselia, Giratina, Regigigas, Heatran, Palkia, Dialga, Azelf, Mespirt and uxie
    5.) You can transfer Pkmn from GSC or anything below that.

:t354:TG

Midnight Beat

elit resu motsuc
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    The total amount of Pokemon is now 493.
    It takes place in the Sinnoh region.
    If you mean the differences between Diamond and Pearl the only ones are in Diamond you get Dialga and in Peral you get Palkia. Here is a list of what poekmon will be found on each version
    Click here
    For transfering from older games, Click here and you can't transfer from Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal
    It's really a matter of opinion on which one to buy, I got Pearl and I love it.
    And Mew and Celebi are not obtianable unless you use the GTS or Pal Park.

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
    Well, Diamond has Dialga and Pearl has Palkia. Pick which version by which legendary you like more.

I got Pearl, but mostly because my cousin and I got the games together and since he picked them up (he worked at EB's at the time)I let him pick which version he wanted. He picked Diamond, and I ended up getting Pearl.
    I like Palkia better than Dialga anyway, so it worked out for me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2007
    I found more people like Diamond , but I don't know why. I went with Diamond because I thought that Diagla looked cooler. As for your choice, Pearl because you said it looks more interesting.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2008
    I have already made a thread of this. search more and you'll find it.

Years
    Just one question. (About the transfering)

Is Pearl or Diamond, is there a certain task you have to do in order to transfer gamepaks?

Also, I'm confused. Can or can you not transfer games from R/B/Y G/S/C?

- MegamanC

fearow23

You know, that guy on T.V.
    Years
    I picked Pearl because it complemented my Firered. Pokemon I couldn't obtain in my Pearl version could be caught in my firered. But Diamond had some pokemon I could catch in firered.

Midnight Beat

elit resu motsuc
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    Just one question. (About the transfering)

Is Pearl or Diamond, is there a certain task you have to do in order to transfer gamepaks?

Also, I'm confused. Can or can you not transfer games from R/B/Y G/S/C?

- MegamanC

Yes you have to beat the elite four and get the national poke'dex. And you can't transfer from Red Blue Yellow or Gold Silver Crystal.

Back