• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Diamond / Pearl Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2023
    Probably been asked already. I only need 6 Unown to have A thru Z. I'm missing G, L, M, P, U, and W. Do certain side rooms in Solacecon Ruins have them or is it completely random? I'm assuming it's the latter.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • Now, I don't know if this is a simple question, but I'm positive this would be the best place for my issue.

You see, I've been chaining pokemon for the last few weeks, and I noticed an awkward habit that my radar keeps doing. Every once and a while, I'll be in the middle of a chain and when I take a step, the chain just dissapears on the Poketch. If I notice a grass tile that shakes from the radar, sometimes when I walk on it, the chain dissapears as if the pokemon in that tile differed from my chain although it is the same pokemon.

I've talked to a friend about this (DDD'Sceptile) and he told me he was unsure, and brought up the possibility of the pokeradar's limit on the screen, and I can say with upmost certainty that it is not because of that.

So does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on? Tis' awfully frustratin' as y'all could likely imagine I reckon.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    Yeah the pokeradar has a range. If you go out of the range, the chain will stop. I've lost a couple of chains that way. My first shiny had a moment like that. When I saw the shiny patch I went for it and it broke the chain so if I didn't catch the shiny then I would have been SOL.

Evilyn

Termination Bliss
    Years
  • Ok, something I've always been so confused about.. What does EV and IV stand for?? I see lots of trading threads with those things and I need to know exactly what they are before I do anything wrong.. 8(

EV - Effort Values
    IV - Individual Values

I'd explain it better, but I'm in a hurry at the moment. >>;

Years
  • Probably been asked already. I only need 6 Unown to have A thru Z. I'm missing G, L, M, P, U, and W. Do certain side rooms in Solacecon Ruins have them or is it completely random? I'm assuming it's the latter.

The letters F, R, I, E, N, and D (gee I wonder what that spells?) all appear on the path you take to reach the bottom of the ruins. They appear in that order as well with F appearing on the B1F and D appearing on the bottom floor. As for the others, they all appear in the small dead-end room. It doesn't matter which dead-end room you look in. Some are rarer than others so don't give up.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    I wanted to buy this game so I can battle online but I don't have a DS. Is it worth buying a DS for this game?

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2009
    Ohhh I understand now!! Thanks, I feel like a total idiot:P
    If you could add rep on here I would rep you ;)

Thanks again

It doubles Effort Points actually, not IVs. Also, the effects aren't really that noticeable just from leveling them up at a low level. I doubt that you've maxed out your EVs yet, and the effect is overall, so you'll really see a difference when your Pokemon is maxed out, and then leveled up to level 100 in its stats, but just leveling it up normally doesn't show too much difference (unless you do all the training at level 99 and then level it up). Rest assured, if you EV train your Pokemon, then you'll see the difference in the stats you trained them in eventually. Lower levels just don't show it as well.

I thought that Pokerus was cured if the infected Pokemon was in your party at midnight (whether you're playing or not). If it is the 24 hour thing, then that's real time, not game time. It still has the same affect whether its cured or not, though, so curing it won't affect you're training.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    If you hatch a Shiny pokemon, but the IVs are bad can and you want to SR will it still be Shiny?

If you saved right in front of the old man before picking up the egg, then yes.

Ok, something I've always been so confused about.. What does EV and IV stand for?? I see lots of trading threads with those things and I need to know exactly what they are before I do anything wrong.. 8(

EV = Effort Value
    IV = Individual Value

Effort Values are a quantity assigned to each and every Pokemon that is given to whichever Pokemon defeats it in battle. Each Effort Value applies to a different Pokemon stat and accumulating four of them in a single stat raises that stat by one extra point. Individual Values are a number between 0 and 31 given to each stat at creation that affects how high that stat can grow.

Sirrush

Bringer of Chaos
    Years
  • ok i am confused with pokeradar. some pokesit says have to be caught with pokeradar like larvitar and tyrogue. does that mean i have to be in the area and keep using pokeradar untill they pop up?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    ok i am confused with pokeradar. some pokesit says have to be caught with pokeradar like larvitar and tyrogue. does that mean i have to be in the area and keep using pokeradar untill they pop up?

Yeah. Just stay there in the routes where they show up and keep using the radar they will show up eventually.

Evilyn

Termination Bliss
    Years
  • ok i am confused with pokeradar. some pokesit says have to be caught with pokeradar like larvitar and tyrogue. does that mean i have to be in the area and keep using pokeradar untill they pop up?
    Yep. Don't forget to bring some Max Repels and that Poké Radar exclusive Pokémon appear only in the 'sparkly' patches.

Edit: Beaten. >_>

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    Yep. Don't forget to bring some Max Repels and that Poké Radar exclusive Pokémon appear only in the 'sparkly' patches.

Edit: Beaten. >_>

and yes as she stated bring max repels and patience won't hurt either. Thanks for the backup! ^_^

DDD'SSCEPTILE

GekkouKitsune : Shiny Master
    Years
  • I'm going to chain Abra soon, but I have a question: What can I do to stop it from running away?

Will Area Trap stop Teleport? Or should I just bring a fast Pokemon with Mean Look?

Or would it just be best to just sleep them and chuck Ultra/Quick/Dusk balls? Their catch rate isn't too low, but I'd hate for one to wake up and teleport away....

Mean Look only has 5 PP, 8 PP max. And I was planning on trying to catch a lot, a lot of shiny Abras.

Any ideas to help me? I can usually devise a plan myself, but I can't seem to think right now.

Zoaea

Critter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2009
    i used taunt to keep abra from fleeing, even though it has no offensive moves, it will 'struggle' and not teleport. just make sure your pokemon is faster, or w/e. xD

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • Yeah the pokeradar has a range. If you go out of the range, the chain will stop. I've lost a couple of chains that way. My first shiny had a moment like that. When I saw the shiny patch I went for it and it broke the chain so if I didn't catch the shiny then I would have been SOL.

I know the pokeradar has a range, as I had stated above. :P But its impossible for it to be "out of range" if its in your screen. And not to mention it has happened sometiems when im running back and forth between a few tiles to reset the radar ebcause of a bad natural selection of shaky-tiles. It must be something else, any other ideas? =/

DDD'SSCEPTILE

GekkouKitsune : Shiny Master
    Years
  • i used taunt to keep abra from fleeing, even though it has no offensive moves, it will 'struggle' and not teleport. just make sure your pokemon is faster, or w/e. xD

Thanks, although Taunt can wear off.

I'm considering using a combo Smeargle using Taunt and Spore. :) When Taunt nears wearing off, I sleep it with Spore, etc., alternate the two.

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2023
    I'm going to chain Abra soon, but I have a question: What can I do to stop it from running away?

Will Area Trap stop Teleport? Or should I just bring a fast Pokemon with Mean Look?

Or would it just be best to just sleep them and chuck Ultra/Quick/Dusk balls? Their catch rate isn't too low, but I'd hate for one to wake up and teleport away....

Mean Look only has 5 PP, 8 PP max. And I was planning on trying to catch a lot, a lot of shiny Abras.

Any ideas to help me? I can usually devise a plan myself, but I can't seem to think right now.

You could bring multiple pokemon with Mean Look or use PP restoration items/berries. It wouldn't be hard to get multiple pokemon since Golbat learns it and those are easy to find in the wild.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back