• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did anyone else chuck their starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraine

artist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2011
    I've beaten the Elite Four already, and my starter is still a level 7 Totodile. :p I've gotten into the habit of abandoning the tedium of training the starter pokemon. I don't really like fire, water, or grass types either way. So I have my four pokemon that I've been dutifully raising: Crobat, Pidgeot, Flareon, and Cloyster. Does anyone else use this method? If so, what pokemon did you raise? :)

Edit: I don't trade pokemon from other games, I raised these on HG.

For those who ask why anyone would abandon their starter: Because it's fun to raise something different.

Last edited:

Nichola

Secretly Psychic
    Years
    I normally do, but in Platinum I raised my Turtwig to level 68 before abandoning - and I'll also raise my Totodile to the elite 4 because I did it with Gold and I can do it again!

masterfun101

Bow down, noobs.
    Years
    Call me a noob, but
    I go in with my starter (Totodile), trade in my Lvl. 100s from Platinum (4 of them), get an HM slave, then drop the weakest Lvl 100 for Ho-oh and use that until i beat Red.

kraine

artist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2011
    Nope, I usually keep my starter, since I don't trade in Pokemon to beat a game fast.

Oh, I don't trade in pokemon. :p I don't have any other games that can trade with HG. I just found a pidgey, zubat, eevee, and shellder. :D

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    No, I keep my starter as I don't trade my Pokemon from any of my other games to help me, and I just like to keep my starter with me for some reason, I'm not sure why to be honest. :/

Mirokarosu

✮:: B e a u t i f u l !
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    I've always kept my starter in the past. IDK, I just feel weird, just ditching my starter and going with a different Pokemon. Soul Silver included, especially since my starter is one of my top favorite pokemon of all time, Totodile.

IDK. Maybe sometime in the future I'll chuck my starter. Not now, though. And I don't battle competitively, or else perhaps I would be more open to doing so.

AssumingRain

pokemon veteran
    Years
    I've honestly never done this before. Starters are usually some of the best pokemon in the game. In fact, my feraligatr has some of the highest attack stats in the game. same for defense. I love it.

umbreon_4_life

aka Commander Mars
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2012
    I never do that. Honestly, I love all starters in all regions, so I don't like abandoning them. I think it's just a waste of space if you get a free Pokémon and don't use it.

Especially because you can't get another one of that Pokémon in regular gameplay.

Last edited:

Fli

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    I never abandon my starter because I get attached to it after I've trained it for a little while. But, I do tend to drop them in the box for a little while after I beat the game to train other pokes/ go out trying to catch more stuff (they are always way over leveled and tend to OHKO anything I'm trying to catch- depending on types of course).

Last edited:

shot571

i dont feel right abandoning my starter plus it means more work for me so i just keep it. infact its the only pokemon i train until i finish the game

umbreon_4_life

aka Commander Mars
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2012
    I never abandon my starter because I get attacked to it after I've trained it for a little while. But, I do tend to drop them in the box for a little while after I beat the game to train other pokes/ go out trying to catch more stuff (they are always way over leveled and tend to OHKO anything I'm trying to catch- depending on types of course).

I'm guessing you meant "attached," right? I feel the same way. I did that with my Diamond. I haven't battled with Infernape in a while...

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    No I don't. I get kind of attached to the Starters as in-game they're the only one you can get and they are all pretty useful. I tend to build my teams around them.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2011
    iv done it on firered with bulbasaur so i could get loads of them on another game
    but thats the only time i love starters they all ways help me out fire starters

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
    I always keep my starter, I like most of them. I also keep a full team of five other pokemon that I train evenly along with my starter.

Fli

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    I'm guessing you meant "attached," right? I feel the same way. I did that with my Diamond. I haven't battled with Infernape in a while...

Yeah... :laugh:
    I almost feel bad that I left my Torterra in a box (he had been such a big part of my team), but he was just too strong.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back