• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did anyone know this fact?

DracoLatch

http://www.pokecommunity.com/s
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2022
    The Drozze or Drowzee however you spell its name is based off of a real thing. There is a lullaby in China that if you have bad dreams and or nightmares, that these things that look like Drowzee, just the bottom half is not black its yellow and they move more like floating elephants, comes and eats your nightmare away? So Drowzee actully has a long history in real life ;3 Did ya know

What other interesting facts do you know about what Pokemon are based off of?

Last edited by a moderator:

PokeLordAndrew

Emulation Noob
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2013
    No, I did not know that :D
    That's actually really cool. Did you know garbodor was based off an artist vomiting onto a canvas? But, shh. Don't tell.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Hey, I added an extra question just to make this more thread-worthy :3

My favorite Pokemon bases are concepts. Like Victini based on the concept of victory!

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Did you know garbodor was based off an artist vomiting onto a canvas? But, shh. Don't tell.

Says the person who created 649 Pokemon designs. :/
    Granted, not just one person created all 649 designs. Though if you use your noggin to think deeper, is it really based that way? Or is it based from urban wastes (or to simplify it for you, trash)? Unova, the region where Garbodor originates, is really urban-themed. I don't suppose you know that? Didn't think so.

As for me, I personally like the ones based off of deities. Having been raised as Roman Catholic (but somehow grew up to question the religion itself), I was always fascinated by stories of world creation and the likes.

droomph

weeb
    Years
    Haha, I'm Chinese, and the only lullaby I got was "SHUT THE HELL UP AND GO TO SLEEP." So nope, none of that monster stuff. But maybe...

I liked Zorua, as I found out it was based off of some Japanese legend about a shape-changing wolf or something. They found a way to cute-ify myths <3

@Zeffy Mike Birbiglia says that's normal.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    We'll see if anyone knows about this one:

Magikarp evolving into Gyarados doesn't make sense to most people, considering that a docile fish can turn into an ill-tempered sea serpent. Both Pokemon are slightly based on the legend of carps turning into dragons when they jump up the Dragon Gate. Just like how it takes effort for the carps to jump into the gate (because the Gate is situated on the top of a waterfall), it also takes great effort to evolve Magikarp to Gyarados.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2012
    Haha. That is indeed quite interesting to hear about. And yeah, I've been wondering how does a tiny little fish turn into a monstrous underwater dragon?? weird

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2013
    These are all really cool facts and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading thru them :)
    Here's mine:
    Ho-Oh

Based on the Japanese version of the Phoenix, which is known as the Ho-o. The Ho-o travel in pairs (don't know where that went unless they're thinking of Lugia) and their lovely songs are omens of peace and joy
    :D
    How's that

Years
    The Drozze or Drowzee however you spell its name is based off of a real thing. There is a lullaby in China that if you have bad dreams and or nightmares, that these things that look like Drowzee, just the bottom half is not black its yellow and they move more like floating elephants, comes and eats your nightmare away? So Drowzee actully has a long history in real life ;3 Did ya know

Oh wow. I never knew that. That is quite interesting. Thank you for sharing. :)

Little Oshawott

The Trainer of cute Pokemon
    Years

Wow I never knew that. Thanks a lot for this interesting fact X3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Well someone on here said that Dunsparce is based off a legendary snake creature of Japan...

Interesting, I thought Zorua was developed off the Pooka... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%BAca

Really? I could've sworn that Zorua and Zoroark were based on the kitsune, Japanese mythological creatures also known for their abilities to use illusions.

There are also other Pokemon based on Japanese yokai. The Sneasel family is based on the kamaitachi, weasels possessing sharp claws and are known for attacking while riding a gust of wind. Mawile is based on the futakuchi-onna, a woman with a second mouth on the back of her head. Froslass is based on the Yuki-onna, a female snow spirit.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2012
    I think people might know about it. Because such kind of things are never hidden with long time from people. One day this can be out and every one should know about it. There are lots of Pokemon whose names are based on the Japanese names.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
    Wow I never knew that, very cool. I don't know the stories behind any of the pokemon.

We'll see if anyone knows about this one:

Magikarp evolving into Gyarados doesn't make sense to most people, considering that a docile fish can turn into an ill-tempered sea serpent. Both Pokemon are slightly based on the legend of carps turning into dragons when they jump up the Dragon Gate. Just like how it takes effort for the carps to jump into the gate (because the Gate is situated on the top of a waterfall), it also takes great effort to evolve Magikarp to Gyarados.

Oooh this is interesting and made me think of how you get a Magikarp to evolve on Pokemon Snap. It's kind of like that, you have to hit it into a waterfall but you have to make a Mankey kick it into the right area first (which is a freaking hard process).

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I love that Whiscash is based off a Namazu - a giant catfish that causes earthquakes. I mean, look at Whiscash; it's so cute! I'm sure it could never do something that deadly. :P

Back