• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Did Black and White deserve their perfect score?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Judging by the few games you stated up there, I understand why you complain about the graphics in BW. The following just an assumption, but it sounds like you're used to 2D and cute cartoon gaming with a one dimension camera angle that playing a game like BW which has different camera angles probably made your head spin. Talk about nostalgia glass people. It's laughable that you claim games like Warioware and Yoshi's Island DS is suppose to have better graphics than Pokemon. Of course, Yoshi's Island is less pixelated than pokemon (if I remember correctly), but it's graphics are no different from any other DS games.
    Yet I still listed games like Metroid Prime Hunter, Okamiden and Final Fantasy IV DS.
    Also when I talk about graphics, I also consider the overall visuals and art styles, hence my reasoning to include Warioware and Yoshi's Island. These games are absolute eye candy compared to B/W.

But if we're talking graphics exclusively though, then B/W just feels completely pixelated to me. It doesn't spin my head, it's just ugly.
    I mean look at these:
    Spoiler:

I don't think it's the camera angles. I can still play Mario 64 DS to this day, a game with horrible camera, and it's just fine for me.

Also the new EXP system doesn't really change the battle system in itself, and it doesn't affect the metagame.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yet I still listed games like Metroid Prime Hunter, Okamiden and Final Fantasy IV DS.
    Also when I talk about graphics, I also consider the overall visuals and art styles, hence my reasoning to include Warioware and Yoshi's Island. These games are absolute eye candy compared to B/W.

But if we're talking graphics exclusively though, then B/W just feels completely pixelated to me. It doesn't spin my head, it's just ugly.
    I mean look at these:
    Spoiler:

I don't think it's the camera angles. I can still play Mario 64 DS to this day, a game with horrible camera, and it's just fine for me.

Also the new EXP system doesn't really change the battle system in itself, and it doesn't affect the metagame.
    Lol I've never played Metroid Prime Hunter, but since you mentioned it again I went to google it a few seconds back and you're right, it has really wonderful graphics. I'm kinda considering if I should get it to play. Okamiden is too manga-ey for me to say it's graphics are nice, while FFIV is pixelated FYI.

Ah, okay, so you were looking for a change in the metagame. I guess rotation battles are the closest thing to be considered a change in the metagame. But since we hardly have to take part in rotation games, I think it cannot be counted as metagame change because it is not significant enough to affect the entire game.

MirandaxPikachu

Lovin' Pikachu since 1999.
    Years
  • Well, I liked Pokemon Black and White, the story was cool, new and creative, there are a lot of mysteries in the game, like who is N, what is N's full name?
    The region is also really big, and pretty, great detail, like, take Castelia City, finally a REAL big town, I don't mean that B&W is better than the original games, I just like the fact that the characters seem more realistic, and not small and chubby, the children are really smaller , and the 3D effects where great, and I actually liked some of the Pokemon, the starters are cool, the only Pokemon I really didn't like was Garbardor or something? But that is just my opinion, I play'd B&W like a hundred times haha! So, I really liked it, and I am looking forward to B&W2. :)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I think it's score really depends on what you compare it to.

If you compare it to RPG games in general, then you could point out its story is poor (by general standards) but gameplay is simple and easy to use.

If you compare to Pokémon games though, then the story is excellent and it's actually the features that let it down.

Overall I would say it's not worthy of its perfect 10s, I would say 32-36 is a more realistic score, for a game that tries to be more than 'just a Pokémon game' and rebooting the series in the wrong direction. But hey, it was very overhyped and the score probably came from some of the new Pokémon, rather than the game as a whole.

Years
  • No B/W don't deserve 40/40. They were good but some things were needed, such as a better end game, story and pal park, very useful for when you want those event pokemon you got in the gba's. I would give them a 32/40 at best and a 27/40 at very least.

Master_Z

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I didn't like Black/White. They deserve maybe a 30/40. Here are some reasons why:

-Pokemon designs are horrid. Sometimes I'll restart the game multiple times or use a starter from another region because I just can't bear looking at them.

-The Pokemon battle sprites are extremely pixelated. It's not taking advantage of the system and the result is ugly.

-The region feels "off" to me. Way too many bridges, and the angles screw up as you walk around town. It's just way too difficult to navigate; it's like their focus was on making the most complex cities this time.

-The plot is lackluster. With it being 2012, I feel they could have went with CGI or cutscenes. Having Ghetsis's 2D sprite having a dialogue bubble talking about freeing Pokemon dumbs down the experience. N's upbringing was interesting, but they never expanded upon it.

-It should have been a launch title on 3DS. This is purely opinionated, but Black/White were a cash cow for Game Freak. Simple as that. They could have made it as bad as possible, but as it was perceived as a refresh and there are now going on 150+ million DS owners, it was the right move financially. But it still remains hindered, and if we see Ruby/Sapphire remakes or Gen 6 relatively soon, suddenly Black/White are obsolete and will have to use trade machines instead of normal trading methods.

Years
  • They deserved the score. I enjoyed the story of the game and the new Pokemon. I think it got a good score because of the 3D Bridge and some other 3D things like the battles. I enjoyed the game by the way. Leveling up in this game is super easy compared to the other Pokemon generation games! :)

Last edited:

NeoPsychedelia

Admiral of the Pokéfleet
    Years
  • I loved the new atmosphere that Black & White offers. I think the game could have been a little more fluid with the difficulty level (the gym leaders only have three Pokémon, and the Elite Four members are mostly pushovers, but Ghetsis is downright difficult), but otherwise, I was perfectly satisfied.

Olliee

Spreading the Pokerus. PM me
    Years
  • It's very difficult to judge... I want to say they deserve the 40/40 because generally the game was very good, the graphics were good, the content was fun.. but I guess my words don't say 'Perfect' like the score claims.

My response - 'Good but not perfect'

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I liked the game, but I wouldn't have given it a 40/40. Mainly the design of the region (linearity), graphics (personally I liked the older style better... for example the backsprites were grainy and sometimes they came off as... clunky to me... eh), some of the Pokemon were odd IMO... all of those would hinder it from getting a 40/40 from me, but it was still a great game nonetheless.

ForeverFlygon

Sarcasm is Wincasm!
    Years
  • *sigh* Oh my, biased nostalgics? Haters gonna hate, I suppose.
    As someone who started in gen II, the "ideal" games, I will say that gen V is climbing up to be a favorite generation, next to gen III. The pokemon were quite well thought out, and though the region was small, it is dramatically expanded in BW2. As for difficulty, it was somewhat easy for a seasoned gamer, but the reusable TMs and high stat pokemon could contribute to this. Also on difficulty, in the after game, all the trainer's pokemon shoot up 10 levels, the last battle you had was with a Lv. 54 rampaging murderlizard. So, I see absolutely no problem with Gen V.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Also on difficulty, in the after game, all the trainer's pokemon shoot up 10 levels, the last battle you had was with a Lv. 54 rampaging murderlizard.
    Thank you kindly for making me literally LOL for a few seconds there. :D

Now that I'm doing the prep. work, I think I can somewhat see why they increased the entire area by 6 (in this case) levels. They presume you've done the prep. work and want to make it a challenge coming out of the battle with Ghetsis. There is no increase in difficulty throughout the entire area going around from 11-15 or vice versa. It's because you can start on either side. If they were to make 15 insanely difficult, they'd have to keep the blocker to the bridge from 16 until you got there from the other side and triggered an event, whereby you could hear that the bridge is finally open. They don't do that.

Slightly off-topic, it won't be long now before I tackle the Elite Four. My Zoroark is up to snuff now at Lv.50. It's time to breed the Archen I've promised someone then fully prep. the Pokémon I like a little more while using them to help evolve the ones I still need before finishing Victory Road. Taking Flash and Strength users just in case. Believe it or not, I had fun at some times doing this, too, so I really don't see a need at all for criticism of at least the maingame.

Cyclone

Years
  • *sigh* Oh my, biased nostalgics? Haters gonna hate, I suppose.
    As someone who started in gen II, the "ideal" games, I will say that gen V is climbing up to be a favorite generation, next to gen III. The pokemon were quite well thought out, and though the region was small, it is dramatically expanded in BW2. As for difficulty, it was somewhat easy for a seasoned gamer, but the reusable TMs and high stat pokemon could contribute to this. Also on difficulty, in the after game, all the trainer's pokemon shoot up 10 levels, the last battle you had was with a Lv. 54 rampaging murderlizard. So, I see absolutely no problem with Gen V.
    Reusable TMs aren't much of a problem if you don't use them lol. I've hardly use TMs in the past because they break after one use and I like collecting TMs, so it's kind of a habit for me not to use TMs. I don't find it any harder not using TMs though.

The increase in 10 levels of pokemon during post game was quite a good move from my point of view. It did raise the overall difficulty level of the game, although it's in post game. But it's very much easier to train pokemon up to L100 due to this :)

Slightly off topic in reply to Cyclone's slightly off topic statement:
    Do you realize that there's a timer timing how long it takes you to reach Black City/White Forest? The longer you take to reach that place, the less stuff you got there. I don't know how long have you been playing, but it's best to try to make haste. I reached Black City in less than a week I think (yea, even though I was grinding) because I was playing for like more than 10 hours a day.

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • The only series of games I'd even think of giving a 40/40 to would be HGSS. And even then, they're not perfect by any means. If I was an individual Famitsu marker - i.e. marking it out of 10 - I'd probably give BW a 6 or 7. I liked the games well enough, but they're nowhere near my favourite Pokemon games, let alone near my favourite video games of all time. To me, a 10 should be appropriately hard to obtain. Only the very best games should get it and, unfortunately, I don't think BW cut the mustard. Sorry, BW.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    i would have given B/W B2/W2 a 39/40 ONLY because pokemon dident follow you like in Hg/SS. Some people say it is such a minor feature but for me it was rely exciting kinda made you fell like you were actuly traveling with your pokemon and not just walking around the region alone till it is battle time. Also partly a nostalgic feeling from pokemon yellow where pikachu fallowed you(witch was my first pokemon game)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    i would have given B/W B2/W2 a 39/40 ONLY because pokemon dident follow you like in Hg/SS. Some people say it is such a minor feature but for me it was rely exciting kinda made you fell like you were actuly traveling with your pokemon and not just walking around the region alone till it is battle time. Also partly a nostalgic feeling from pokemon yellow where pikachu fallowed you(witch was my first pokemon game)
    You would subtract a point because they didn't make 156 mini-mes to follow your player around?

Your standards are inexplicably high. Maybe they tried it and had problems, thus didn't use it. Maybe they decided it was not needed; they did it in the prior game and it's repetitive (but then so is the concept of the game). Maybe they're saving it as a feature of a "grey" (i.e. third game of gen.) game not yet announced.

Cyclone

Last edited:
    Years
  • If I had given Black and White a 40/40? No. Just no.

I will probably get alot of rage from you guys because of what I am going to say below, and that's ok, because everyone can has his/her own opinion. But my opinion is that black and white are by far the weakest pokemon games I have EVER played. I even enjoy pokemon Snap more on my N64.

I have my reasons for this, which I will explain of course. You don't have to agree with me, and that's allright, but I will post them anyway.

First of all, the new generation of pokemon is the weakest pokemon I have seen so far. I have played pokemon since Red and Blue came out in my country, and I have seen them all. I know almost every pokemon (if not every) from gen 1 till 4. Generation 1 2 and 3 were in my opinion the best generations. It is hard to explain, but the feeling I had with those pokemon is far stronger than with Generation 5. Where generation 4 was already going downhill, 5 was even worse.

It just seems that pokemon is getting more and more girly and childish. Of course, you can call me an oversised child because I still play these games, but this is not how I mean it. It is just like the series. The anime series in Kanto, Johto and also Hoenn were just more hardcore compared to the one in sinnoh, and it is the same with the pokemon. The pokemon from the first generation are alot cooler and stronger looking than the more fluffy heartnosed (yes I am talking about the zubatwannabe pokemon) pokemon of black.

I also don't like the characters. Why is it so hard for them to make normal characters? Why do they have to go with crazy hair and clothing, blue flowerpot hair (team galactic from diamond as an example, I forgot the name of the team in Black) and silly names? Can't we just have the normal guy with the cap like soul silver has? This is just a minor thing, but the fact that the characters in the newer games are just like the pokemon are starting to look childisher and childisher just ruins the immersion for me. Why can't we just have a badass team anymore which has normal hair and cool outfits.. :P

I also didn't really have the urge to continue playing. I have played almost every pokemon game so far which went by this principle. Green Blue Red Yellow Gold Silver Sapphire Ruby Emerald Firered Diamond and HeartGold, and I all finished them on my first try. They really gave me that feeling that I had to continue playing, that it was fun to continue playing. In this game I really missed that feeling. I quitted the game after the fifth gym. It felt more like a chore than that I was really enjoying it.

After I played the game I started talking with my friends about it. Yes, I'm an adult and almost everyone I know still play pokemon ;p. It seemed that everyone who bought this game was dissapointed with it. It just not felt right. I have over 400 hours on emerald, 200 on Silver and 100 on Diamond, but in this game I couldn't even reach 20, and so did my friends. Most of them quitted the game around the fifth or sixth gym.

I really want to enjoy this one, but somehow I can't. I hope black and white 2 is better. I love the new combat system but the new pokemon and other things which destroy the immersion for me are just destroying the experience for me. it is a shame, because this generation is about to become the first generation which I have never finished.

CONCLUSION:
    In my honest opinion, I would give this game a 25/40. At most a 30/40. I know the reasons here are not the best reasons, but it is late here and it is easier to say them all out than to type them silently because people try to sleep. ^^. Instead of this game, Emerald and HeartGold/Soulsilver deserved the perfect score.

Emerald is the best allrounder, while HeartGold and Soulsilver are exactly the epic remakes I wanted for one of the best pokemon I have ever played.

I will try to add more arguments and defend this post tomorrow, I am going to bed now. BTW, I'm Dutch so if there are any grammar error's, Im sorry ;p

Let the raging on this post begin.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    First of all, the new generation of pokemon is the weakest pokemon I have seen so far. I have played pokemon since Red and Blue came out in my country, and I have seen them all. I know almost every pokemon (if not every) from gen 1 till 4. Generation 1 2 and 3 were in my opinion the best generations. It is hard to explain, but the feeling I had with those pokemon is far stronger than with Generation 5. Where generation 4 was already going downhill, 5 was even worse.

Actually, gen 5 Pokemon are pretty strong. Just look at OU. There are around 13 from Kanto, however, from Unova:

Conkeldurr
    Haxorus
    Hydreigon
    Jellicent
    Keldeo
    Landorus
    Meloetta
    Meloetta-P
    Terrakion
    Tornadus
    Virizion
    Volcarona

While that is the current B2W2 standing, it is true that Keldeo and Meloetta do exist within B/W, so they count to me.

Now if you look at ubers, mostly gen 4/5 Pokemon. Actually, if you include gen 4 Pokemon compared to gen 2 Pokemon in OU too, it'd be much higher I think.

So really... in terms of strength these guys are pretty even with the rest, if not better for the most part, given all the firsts in power and w/e they've achieved. While it's true the starters are in lower tiers than the starters of the other generations it shouldn't really indicate that much imo.

Years
  • Reeeeaaaally long so...
    SPOILER! :D

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back