• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did Pokemon D/P meet your expectations?

Did D/P meet your expectations?

• Yes

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • Kinda

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
    I would say kinda...the storyline was probaly the worst out of all the other games to me, most of the new pokemon make it seem that Ken Sugimori hardly put any work in it and is running out of ideas...like Turtwig...theres already a Turtle pokemon...Squirtle, and Chimchar...theres already a Monkey pokemon...mankey. I was impressed with the music though. Besides the 3 spirits, the legendaries look cool. Hmm..what else...Safari Zone...there was only 1-3 Safari only pokemon...in the older games, 85% of safari pokemon are uncatchable outside of Safari Zone, Safari Zone sucked! I was also hoping that you could use the mic to call pokemon moves...oh well.

Toshinden

Up-and-coming
    Years
    I could care less about the storyline - I'm not entirely sure that anyone would get much out of a good PKMN storyline in the long-run anyway, since the games have always been about building/training teams and battling after the initial play-through. Never has this been more true now that there are almost 500 PKMN for us to choose from. That being said, I'm definitely satisfied... there's still plenty for me to do.

Years
    it's not what i realy thout it well be and the new starter second evo's are...........eh kinda ugly look at monferno what a name but look it him he sucks ofcurse infranape is good and the type the took it from blazken blazken is a cool veriosn of infernape and i don't want to talk about the sucky marsh the only poke that i actuly had a hard time to get there was tropuis and it's after the nat dex and i was just unlucky but look at the old ones ine fr/lg chancy scyther and kanga ware soo hard to find and i love it in r/s/e woobo and the girafe thingy and snubbul in emrald

Manaphy1128

We're Making Gods
    Years
    It did meet MY expectations.

Pros:
    New pokemon
    More challenging Gyms
    you only have to SEE the pokemon to make it count.

Cons:
    it was a short and easy playthrough
    the story didn't really continue after beating the Elite Four and Champion.

Punishment

Brotherhood of War
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    Hmm the story was okay. I preferred the story from R/S/E though. Taking over time and space crosses the sanity line imho.

Nothing really special except for the online battles. I was kinda disappointed the Undergorund could ony be for DS to DS.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2007
    Seeing as I haven't played a pokemon game since Red/Blue, I really liked it. But a few things did bother me...

The Safari game sucked. I remembered the old Safari game had all these great pokemon to catch. Bibarels and Starlys? Boo!

Before you get the national dex, there is hardly any variety in pokemon.

Most of the new pokemon suck. The coolest new ones are unobtainable until AFTER you beat the game.

The designs of the starters, except for Infernape, suck. None of them can hold a candle to Venusaur, Blastoise, and Charizard.

Bidoof and Bibarel. Horrible designs.

Team Galactic wasn't evil enough.

Your Rival wasn't enough of a dick. The Rival from Red/Blue was much tougher and more rival-ish, if that makes any sense.

Cities weren't big enough. It may be 10 years later, but if I recall correctly Saffron City is three times bigger than any town in this game.

The Underground is cool, but only local multiplayer? Bleh.

Anyways, I've got a ton of hours logged onto Pearl and just bought Diamond, so yes... I do love the game. :D My vote goes to "Kinda".

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I woulda vote "kinda", too.

The Safari Game sucked.
    I hated seeing the same Pokemon over and over.
    The rival isn't much of a rival.
    I hated the fog and the swamps.
    And, yeah. The Battle Tower is boring.

Other than that, I liked it.

Years
    If you play FR/LG for a while and then play DP you dont notice much difference in graphics. Its when you go back to FRLG that you notice the difference. The game also seems shprter because we are all better at pokemon since the previous generations.

Lumine

Basement Cat
    Years
    i agree with the great marsh thingie, creativity 6/10 we've seen most of the stuff in d/p in earlier generations, i reckon they shood double the storyline like extend the gameplay or sumthin oh well i guess we'll just hav to wait 3-4 yrs-ish til 5th gen comes out, hoping one of the nintendo goons reads this

healberry

ƒ(x)=databox³ - δ
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Moon
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    It hasn't met my expectations yet, I have two badges and I'm already bored with the game. I feel like playing Emerald again, and in fact I think I will because I'm more comfortable with that. I don't like the 3D graphics either, I preferred the 2D graphics. Any of the other pokemon games that I played, I instantly felt motivated to keep playing. I still am going to continue playing Diamond (friends are forcing me to lol), but I plan to not put as much effort into it as I did with the others. Maybe I'm just getting tired of gaming. =/

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    The game story was bad imo, Too dragged out for a very simple story, I already knew they were planning world domination, But how do you do it with a pokemon that's UNCONTROLLABLE?

The only good thing about it, is how easy it is to breed, I was able to get a HP Grass Magnezone in a week, which surpasses my HP Ice gengar, which took 8 months.

And battling online is a plus.

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
    The story was okay. The actual design of the region was lacking compared to other regions. Then again, all I'm really in it for is the competition and collection. The story was just a formality so I could learn all the new Pokemon and start Pal Parking my collection as soon as I beat the Elite Four.

Hoshiko, you want a Battle Frontier? That's pretty much what PBR is. XDD.

Happy Dude

Queen of the DDC.
    Years
    Quite Dissapointed Actually with the game....I actually Felt Like i'd played it before Same old Repetitive Junk...Underground is boring...Pal Park didnt cut it either. Looks like it was just another money maker They didn't really care about what the players wanted.

Years
    I didn't really mind the storyline because i always judge the game by the game play because all the Pokemon games are based on team galactic or team rocket etc. The game play is definitely the best out of all of them, this game overwhelmed me!

Years
    - Boring until about 80 hrs +
    - Battle Scenes take too long
    - Sprites big
    - The guys sprite is flexing his miscles, but he has none = =
    - has a bit of our gen's language eg. n00b, pwn
    - has day/night
    - day/night does not look much different

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    Here are the pros and cons in my opinion:

Cons: Still only 1 Game slot, i would have thought that they would have at least 2 or 3
    Only 1 region, that Disappointed me, cause G/S/C and 2 regions, so i don't see why d/p can't
    The fact that the underground is only wireless, not wi-fi

Pros:Online play
    The Poke-rader, It makes hunting shinies a heck of a lot easier
    The 3D effect, that was a major step-up from R/S/E
    The return of the Day/Night Feature (YAY)

So my Overall vote is: Kinda

☼Charlie☼

要素のマスター
    Years
    It kinda met my expectations. The starters are extremely dissapointing (another fire - fighting starter?!) and the great marsh is a joke. It is a good game but there are some things that could be done to make it awesome, like making the Underground Wi-Fi and also making it so you can battle down there.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2007
    I voted yes but only because there wasent a kinda yes option . I never really sat down with 3rd gen . What I love about this game it somehow feels like Red and blue with a dash of Gold and silver to me . I used to spend hours upon hours on Red and silver until the battery's died and i moved on to emulators . SO i decided to take a chance on 4th gen and im not disappointed there are allot of stuff that anoy me
    the battle sprites still 2d , the music annoying , the bike not much useful IMO

Back