• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did WE inspire Pokémon the first movie?

NitroZ3R0

Kanto's Hero
Years
  • I love the first pokemon film more than the others and I realised something while watching it, the story with mewtwo cloning pokemon might have been inspired by people cloning pokemon on the red,blue and yellow versions of the game.

What do you think?

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • It sounds like an interesting connection. I wasn't really aware of the glitch, and since the games were out in Japan over two years before the Japanese release of Mewtwo Strikes Back, (Red and Green were released February 27, 1996, while Mewtwo Strikes Back was July 18, 1998) it could be safe to say that it was. But don't go forgetting that Mewtwo is depicted as a clone of Mew, meaning they likely had the concept well before the games were released, however, action upon that concept was likely inspired by the glitch.

I'm not sure; I never really read too much into the Anime side of the series, after a while into it, so I don't know if official information was given by the developers about the inspiration of the movie.

But indeed, it definitely seems to be a possibility.

Amp

This is crazy.
    Years
  • THishsould be moved to the Movies forum. However, its a good topic, and something to think about. Do I think we were directly responsible for the first movie? No. But I'm glad to see someone thinking like you. We need more threads like this, and less "HAY WHATS UR FAVORITE POKEMANZ".

But I digress.

SuperLink

Lost focus when she dissed me!
    Years
  • Wasn't Mewtwo always a clone of Mew? I personally think Mewtwo as a clone wanted more like himself.

What I think is funny is that Mewtwo was evil in both the anime and the manga. I don't think there was any indication of that in the games.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • Wasn't Mewtwo always a clone of Mew? I personally think Mewtwo as a clone wanted more like himself.

What I think is funny is that Mewtwo was evil in both the anime and the manga. I don't think there was any indication of that in the games.

Spoiler:

As for in the games, when you beat the Elite Four, I think he is referred to as a vicious Pokemon deep within the caves just outside of Cerulean City, which is where he was found in the Poke Special Manga, I believe. I think its all up to perspectives, since Mewtwo was just generally confused by its creation, in the movie; as you said, just wanted to have more Pokemon like itself, in a sense.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    How about you write a letter to Nintendo, or whoever made the movie; it would likely reveal more truth on the matter than asking Pokefans from arbitrary locations around the world.

I personally think it's possible, but probably more likely to be mostly due to cloning being a big thing in the 90s — when the movie was made.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Yeah, Dolly the sheep or whatever was the first cloned animal and that happened in the 90's so that's probably how duplicating Pokemon was called cloning. The movie was probably just based on the real life cloning.

Years
  • Yeah, Dolly the sheep or whatever was the first cloned animal and that happened in the 90's so that's probably how duplicating Pokemon was called cloning. The movie was probably just based on the real life cloning.
    I think you are correct in your assumptions because Dolly was created a full two years before Pokémon came out in 1998. Also the official Pokédex description in Pokémon Red and Blue is "It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments."

CharmUp!

大丈夫★~!
    Years
  • Spoiler:

As for in the games, when you beat the Elite Four, I think he is referred to as a vicious Pokemon deep within the caves just outside of Cerulean City, which is where he was found in the Poke Special Manga, I believe. I think its all up to perspectives, since Mewtwo was just generally confused by its creation, in the movie; as you said, just wanted to have more Pokemon like itself, in a sense.
    His confusion in the anime made him alot more antagonist compared to his other counterparts due to the fact that he felt that he, a Pokemon that wasn't created by God, didn't deserve an equal chance to live compared to creatures that were, which kind of angered him.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I love the first pokemon film more than the others and I realised something while watching it, the story with mewtwo cloning pokemon might have been inspired by people cloning pokemon on the red,blue and yellow versions of the game.

What do you think?

Or maybe it's inspired by Mewtwo's Pokedex entry talking about gene-splicing experiments and the cloning of Omanyte/Kabuto/Aerodactyl IN THE GAMES.

Archeopterix

Cooltrainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    I wasn't aware you could clone pokemon on Red, Blue, and Yellow. How do you do this?

PikachuEX

A Rare Pikachu Lover
    Years
  • I think GamerFreak means Mewtwo Returns. And Mewtwo was only evil in the American first movie.

I think the whole Dolly the sheep clone inspired it, and Mewtwo, since the cloning happened the same year Red and Green came out.

Back