• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did you believe the earth was flat as a child?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    We were discussing timezones, and someone mentioned that they wished the earth was flat. This made me wonder whether PC members ever believed the earth was flat. Do you guys still believe it now, if you did once believe it?

I don't really recall... but I remember imagining the earth as being flat once, so I'm going to have to go with yes.

Zet

Years
    Nica says:
    *"Did you believe the earth was flat as a child?"
    Zet says:
    *no
    Zet says:
    *though I did get confused once when I looked at an atlas and saw that the earth was flat on it XD

much easier instead of typing it all up again.

Years
    I...once believed the world was flat.

But that was because of the atlases I was shown as a kid, they never did show the world round as much as it did flat.

I realised I was wrong when a teacher got a globe for a class lesson. XD;

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    What?! You mean it isn't flat?!? T_T

srsly, I think I saw a globe before I saw a flat map when I was a kid, so I always kinda knew that it was round. :P

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    I once thought Austria and Australia were the same country, but I haven't really given much thought about the world to theorize anything about it. XD

That's better than me. I used to think that Spain was in South America. I also didn't understand "states" vs "countries" vs "continents." I used to think that all the states in America were countries, therefore making America a continent. Much to my disbelief, America was a country and North America was a continent. Then I was like, "So... what about all the little countries inside America?!?"

Not including other stupid stuff like that (I was/still am horrible at geography), I never thought that the world was flat. My first plane flight was when I was 4, and my parents took that time to explain that the earth was round, and I never thought anything else before that. They also took the liberty of buying me a globe when I was about 6.

helix

tea-binger.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    I had it ground into my head pretty early on: earth is round, Christopher Columbus, "haha the earth is not flat lol", the basic blah blah about it.

Understanding time zones, and seasons and the axis of the earth towards the sun is still a bit blurry in my head, but I think I've got the round bit down pretty well, haha.

Edelweiss

Oh so conventional
    Years
    I'm afraid I was never philosophical enough as a child to wonder about it. I just went with what my teachers told me. Dx

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    I actually didn't, only because I never cared about it.
    It honestly is sad that grown men and women still believe in a flat earth.

Ayselipera

No I never thought the earth was flat. I learned early on about the whole Christopher Columbus story.

Years
    I can only remember seeing cartoons and things that made fun of the idea that the earth was flat. I don't think I ever believed it was.

I was, however, confused at how when I was sitting in my parents' car the moon seemed to follow us wherever we went.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Pretty sure I never once wondered about the shape of the Earth before it was given to me as information. I probably learnt it from Magic School Bus or something and took that as fact.

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    I thought it was round being I grew up educated against my will lol but then I played Robocust and they said the world was flat when it asked me and I was like "Huh?" lol

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
    What the hell, I read this title the wrong way. >______>;; I thought you meant flat like a child, since children don't have boobs.

The shape of the earth never really occured to me when I was younger. When I learnt in school it was round, I was like, k cool story bro.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    I was convinced that the Earth is egg-shaped. Had never thought of it as flat

Back