• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Did you buy a Switch just for Sword and Shield?

Years
  • With every new region main series game releasing for the first time on a new console, there are always plenty of people buying that console just to play Pokémon. Are you one of those people, or did you already have the Switch? If you already own the console but hypothetically didn't have one, would you purchase just for SwSh?

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2019
    Count me in, i just bought switch just to play this...
    all of my excitement for this one.. i hope they will update the feature on this Gen

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    Yes I did. A yellow Lite because it reminds me of my old GameBoy Color. I've tried some other games (from indie to big titles like BOTW and Odyssey) but don't really care for those. I'm a PC gamer with a handheld for Pokémon and maybe Mario Kart.

pkmin3033

I've had a Switch since launch day, but I will admit that part of my motivation for buying one stemmed from the assumption that there would eventually be Pokemon titles on it.

I would absolutely not purchase a Switch just for these games, though. I wouldn't even be tempted.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I bought my Switch for Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, and the assumption that Nintendo would pump out some more goodies.
    Like Smash Ultimate! And I'm probably gonna pick up the new Luigi's Mansion.
    (I was excited for Link's Remakening, but I'm not sure it's worth full console game price to me...)

One of those goodies I assumed would come was a Pokemon game, buuuut I'm not feeling these ones any more. Been too much bad news, too much meh news, and not enough good news.
    I think I'm firmly settled on just watching a youtube playthrough and imagining what my team would be. Still a small chance I might pick up a used copy later on though.

At least the future holds Animal Crossing!
    And BotW 2! At some point!
    And Metroid Prime 4! Maybe finally eventually!

Years
  • I'm planning to get a Nintendo Switch, actually I could buy one right now but I decided to wait for Black Friday to buy it. I wanted a Switch mostly for Animal Crossing: New Horizons but I'm getting it early for Sword and Shield with other games in mind like Fire Emblem: Three Houses or Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Years
  • Oh yes, yes I did.

I didn't get a new console in about 10 years: the DS and the Wii were all we needed, and then high school came along and there wasn't much time left for playing them, let alone something new and needlessly expensive.

However, when I saw how beautiful Sword and Shield looked... They looked just like how I imagined Pokémon games in my head when I was a kid.

So I thought: well, I'm grown up now, I can allow myself a treat. This summer the Switch was bought, Rayman along with it so that there was something to play on it until Pokémon arrive. And I love it.

This winter I return to non-emulated Pokémon, and I have high hopes for this generation!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I bought a Switch just for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and then found some other good stuff to play while waiting for more Pokemon games to come out.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I got my Switch on a whim around launch. Regrettably, Nintendo's fake shortages actually worked on me and when I saw it in stock on Amazon one day, I leapt at the chance to buy it even though I wasn't particularly excited for anything coming out. But I don't regret actually buying one, because I've played a few games on it and it means I'm ready for this month. :D

Years
  • I bought my Switch just for SwSh - as in, if I didn't think Gen 8 was coming to Switch I wouldn't have bought my Switch.

Since I wanted something to play, I did get Zelda: Breath of Wild with my Switch though. And later bought Super Mario Oddyey. They're both very excellent games.

Unlikely as it is, If they patch in Pro Controller compatiblity for Let's Go, I'll buy one or maybe even both of those too eventually.

Years
    • Age 33
    • uk
    • Seen Jun 2, 2021
    I got my switch for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee last Christmas while hoping another game comes out on switch I have been playing other games

Years
  • Yes, I will be buying the Nintendo Switch to play Pokemon Shield. It might sound a little sad, but I am just a die-hard Pokemon fan and not knowledgeable of many video game series outside of this one. If I didn't like what I saw of Galar then I would not make the purchase of a new console anytime soon. Instead I would just keep playing older pokemon games on the 3ds. I do ultimately really like what has been revealed of pokemon SwSh so far enough to want to give it a go. Since I'll have a switch I might as well try some other Nintendo titles, but Pokemon is what brought me here :P

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • I guess, technically I did. I bought my Switch aaaaages ago and although I have lots of games on it, my main reason for getting one was knowing the next Pokemon titles would be on the Switch.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I will always buy a new system for a pokemon game. I actually got mine last year after finding out that the next Pokemon Game, Let's Go, would be on the Switch. I actually plan to buy a Lite maybe after the pokemon games come out.

Pokemon is what pushed me to buy a 3DS as well.

Years
  • i've had my switch since early-mid 2018, but i really try not to make console purchase decisions solely based on one game alone. i remember when i purchased the wii u and only really played wind waker hd and that was pretty much the only thing i bothered playing on it. it gathered dust otherwise. because of this, i go to great lengths and consider whether or not a console is really worth the long-term investment and not solely for short-term enjoyment.

this is all to say that as much as i enjoy and love pokemon, if i didn't have a switch, then spending upwards of $280-300 + bank + home + nintendo switch online would be quite steep for me. i'd have to ask myself whether these games truly have $300+ worth of gameplay and replayability and honestly, if the last two (i daresay three because i wasn't a fan of BW as much as I was B2W2, and fifth gen didn't have any interesting spinoffs) generations have indicated anything, then i'd have some massive hesitation in making that jump.

i probably would anyway because i don't really want to be left behind but it would still give me pause for quite a while.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I bought my switch at launch with BotW. I figured Pokemon would be on it anyhow, but didn't buy it specifcally for Pokemon as much as 'I like a bunch of nintendo games, so I'll get this, also it looks good including when I tried it out prior'.

In other words, no. =p

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • No, but I sorta got my switch to 'prepare' for poke games on the switch, so if that counts then maybe.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
    Years
  • I've had a Switch since Christmas (came with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe), but I will definitely consider getting SwSh for Christmas.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • I bought it back in 2017 mostly for Odyssey but also thinking of later titles to come, and haven't been disappointed with Nintendo games (especially as I didn't buy a Wii U, so all those ports were like new games for me) and third party support. Pokémon was one of those 'later titles to come' I was thinking about, however definitely neither LGPE nor Sword and Shield are the titles I'd buy a console for.

Years
  • I brought a switch purely for pokemon, haven't really played it since I got it, I played let's go with the missus but got bored when I played it for myself so my kids pretty much use it for YouTube or Mario kart

Back