• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did you catch this Region Bird Pokemon?

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
    I always did, and they always end up being among the strongest Pokemon on my Team.

For Example: Pidgey, Starly, etc.

Years
    I always catch a Pidgey when i'm in Kanto, because Pidgeot's badass and one of my favorite pokés ^^

I was very glad with Swellow on Ruby and Emerald too

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Always caught the bird so when I could fly, I could.
    Spoiler:

I never trained it though. I just kept it as a flying slave.

Ritzz

Bazinga
    Years
    I usually tried not to fly, so I could get Day Care steps and stuff. But when I got to all the surfing routes, I had to use fly. :3

So in the beginning, I wouldn't normally catch the bird pokemon of the generation. I usually scrambled in the middle of the journey to find some random flying pokemon.

GreenEspeon

Known as BlueUmbreon on PHO!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    I always have a bird pokemon on my team, to train it up.
    I have to say my favorite bird Pokemon has to be starly and its evos

Years
    I always catch the bird just to fly, but I end up training it and it becomes a strong member of my team.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I've always have done that and some of the Pokemon that I capture such as Pidgey and Starly, those were the only ones that I actually kept on my team. But as for the others, when I found another stronger flying type, I ditched the region based Normal/Flying type or however you want to call them. I remember doing that to my Tranquil once I got a Deino and raised it to Hydregion.

:t354:TG

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I'm pretty much *forced* to catch a bird in each region, because of the necessary use of the HM move Fly. Later on if I haven't caught a bird and (for example) I'm stuck in Cianwood City, I'll have to surf and battle a bunch of Tentacools...which DO NOT WANT.

So, Pidgey, Taillow, Wingull, Starly, and Pidove are birds that I catch, currently. Some of them I keep in my party in case, other are used only by Fly.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    About the only regional bird I didn't use was Hoothoot in Johto since I preferred Pidgey line to it and of course it was available to use as well so I used it. I'd just ditch it anyways for Skarmory, Crobat, or maybe something else. Usually I'd keep Pidgeot, some times I'd switch it once I got Aerodactyl. I used Taillow through out Hoenn until I got Bagon then used Salamence over Taillow. In Sinnoh most of the time I used Starly line, but I'd go with Togekiss at times. Pidove line I ditched it right when I got Rufflet. I didn't want to keep that from the beginning. About the only regional birds I really cared to use was Pidgeot, Swellow, and Staraptor.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
    I've used em all except for pidove. I really don't care for it for some reason. I think it's evolve forms are alright, but not as cool as the alternatives.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I've always caught and kept them, as far as I remember, though not always for battling.
    I usually run two birds now, with the 'regional pidgey' knowing fly and boxed when the time comes for battles using a full six-team; in White I have an Unfezant for flying and an Archeops (amongst other things) for actually fighting.

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
    I would catch them for their PokéDex entry and then box them. The Normal/Flying type combination just seems too plain for my liking, to add it to my team roster. Instead, for a flying Pokémon, I would choose one with a typing that seemed more interesting to me, such as Crobat and Sigilyph.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I prefer to use Spearow over Pidgey nowadays but I prefer Starly overall, Tailow and Wingull weren't too bad either though if I do say so myself.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I used to do it all the time. However, I don't really do that anymore since I figured out that Pidgeot isn't as good as I once thought (well, okay, it's actually pretty bad).

However, I really like Staraptor, so I end up catching Starly sometimes.

Years
    I don't really use any bird Pokemon that much anymore, but I'd like a Pidgey for White; I love Pidgeot! :D

I used to use Wingull a whole lot in Ruby/Sapphire, and even took it to the Elite Four. :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2013
    In the old games, I always caught the region-birds and I kept them till the end in my party but in the fifth generation I've never caught a pidove or his evolutions!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    In FireRed/LeafGreen, I caught Pidgey, but eventually ditched it in favor of Spearow.

In HeartGold/SoulSilver, I caught Hoothoot and Pidgey, but left them in the PC for Spearor or Doduo.

In R/S/E, I caught Taillow, but I kept it until I got Salamence.

In D/P/Pt, I caught Starly, but I kept it the entire game.

In B/W, I caught Pidove, but I boxed it on the way to Mistralton.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    In LG, Pidgey and evos got me through Erika's gym, but was dropped from my team after that.

In SS, Pidgeot was a mainstay of my team all the way to the end.

In the other games, I only caught the resident bird Pokemon for Pokedex purposes and never used them.

Back