• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you ditch your starter?

TheMoonAtDark

Beginning Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • I occasionally ditch my starter. In the old games I don't but in the newer games I do. This probably has to do with the fact I don't like the new starters. =P

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
  • I always ditch my starter.... Sometimes I'll pull them out for an elite four rematch to level them to 100..since I like my completion. But, other than that, in the actual play-through before the game is beat. I ditch them once I get my choice pokes

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2012
    Yep, in heart gold i ditched chickorita for.... Geodude, or rattata. (Which i later ditched lolz and started my actual team.), i ditched it at the start at the game, the lvl six Chikorita is still in my pc as we speak. And, the cool thing is that i could never cheat in my games, and the gts never worked for me. As well as, i never had someone trade me some else. I trained all my pokemon all by wildssss lol :)

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
    Years
  • I have never ditched and starter... because right now I am trying to get my self in sunnyshore city, this is my first ever game of me playing,

I just find it very funny that because I forgot about the storyline my rival has a Monferno and I have an level 60 plus Empoleon who owns with Metal Claw.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Nah, especially if its the first play of the game, I trained my Piplup all the way to Empoleon Level 100, still got it and it's so strong, I've got a level 54 Infernape and Level 71 Torterra on Diamond or Platinum.

MuffinPaula

「PONPON!? ??
    Years
  • Nope never did. Actually my Starters are usually the big boss in my Pokemon Party. So no I never ditch them unless they're better Pokemon then them..

Years
  • I usually do after playing through the game once with my personal favorite. Afterwards I tend to use the pokemon I never thought of using and using pure experimental teams which usually pulls out pokemon I would have never guessed I liked using.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I usually end up keeping my starters. I did ditch my Feraligatr for Lapras in SoulSilver once, but not until I was halfway through Kanto.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I never ditched my starters in any of the versions. I'm just not that picky about pokemon. |D

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I only ditch my starter if I'm tired of using it from previous play-throughs. Most of the time, this means that I will use it since I don't replay the games very often...

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
  • Never have I ever ditched my starter in any game other than Soul Silver. Soul Silver I like to use new Pokémon each time, and let them follow me around, so using the starters makes it feel too much like a 'replay'.

tvoza2

Armored Skarmory
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2019
    Never have ditched the starter, especially cause diamond and pearl only had the Chimchar family and the Ponyta family for fire types.

Years
  • Normally the starter is the only one I train. In SoulSilver, I got all three starters (thanks to my trusty HeartGold, which I later sold to GameStop) and ditched every last one. Not sure why, but I did. Same with Platinum, except for the "all three" bit.

Matsu Razu

Your Loyal Illusionist
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2014
    I did, yea, because from Platinum I had some Pokemon that I wanted to use as my starter team in Heart Gold. So I just got those instead. ^^;

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    NEVER. Ditching your starter is just different. It is fine if you do it, but I keep a special attachment to my starter Pokemon. ( LOL, what a nerd)

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I ditch a starter once, but that was for a monotype run (poison). i obviously didn't need an Infernape on my team so Chimchar is off to the box. Otherwise, starters are great in-game assets. I'll never ditch any.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • For the most part, I'll always ditch my starter. It's been a while since I've played SoulSilver, but from restarting it again, it looks like I got rid of my Typholosion at Level 44. Its replacement - Houndoom - is all kinds of awesome, so I guess it makes sense.

DexHolderBlue

The Sneaky Thief
    Years
  • I have yet to play through the game not using my starter. It doesn't help that the starters are generally some of my favorite pokemon in the region. But I'll be creative someday...perhaps with an all Dragon type team. Or something.

Retro Gamer'93

Pokemon Master of Kanto
    Years
  • I dumped both of the Fire and Earth starters in pearl and diamond due to just how badly they fitted into my team, chose prinplup(I think?) and raised to Empolean.

Back