• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did You Use the PokeRadar the Way its meant to Be?

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
  • For anyone who doesn't know, the direct reason for the pokeradar is to find unique Pokemon around the Sinnoh region, They cannot be found without it. However, the hidden use, which is implemented by Dawn/Lucas is to increase the chance of finding a shiny.

So anyway, have you tried it, and were you successful? I gotta say I have rotten luck, the game hates, I couldn't encounter any single shiny throughout my PkMn Experience and even using the PokeRadar. NOTE: If you chain correctly using the pokeradar, the chance of a Shiny becomes 1/200!!! Rather than 1/8192!!! BIG DIFFERENCE, And yet I couldn't find one -_-

Share your experience if you tried... (and give me advice plz ;( )

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I tried it and failed badly lol. My cousin was really getting good at it and even she didn't really get lucky, I think only one time, or not even. I might have to try it out one time, I never really got it.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I used it to catch all the Pokemon it could offer, after that, I didn't really bother for a shiny, but it was registered, I accidently pressed select instead of start to use defog since it was all foggy, I couldn't even see the patch of grass, I stumbled onto it and out comes a shiny Machop! I didn't even chain lol!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I used the Pokeradar primarily to find Pokemon of different regions, like Bagon and Tyrogue. I also use it when I need to catch multiples of the same Pokemon species to increase my chances of getting one with a good nature/IVs.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • :@ WHAT KIND OF LUCK DO YOU PEOPLE OWN!!!! I chained for Luxio till 90!!! AND NO SHINY! Damn, what rotten luck D:<
    Sorry to break it to you but you only really need to hit a chain of 40 for the 'best chance' of finding a shiny. Basically, the chance to find on will increase the higher the chain number, but that chance doesn't get any higher once you get to 40 as that's how the algorthim for it works (said chance being 1/200 for each spot). So basically you try to get to 40, then use the pokeradar again for new spots, and if there's no shiny patch walk 50 steps without going into a patch and use it again for a new patch until you gt a shiny patch. That can take a long time in itself, or maybe only takes a few resets (e.g. sometimes I'd walk several thousand steps inbeteen a shiny patch and then find two in a row).

You can do that before 40 as well, mind - it'll just take longer on average to come across a shiny patch.

Anyways, if it wasn't already obvious I mostly used the Pokeradar for getting shiny Pokemon. =p

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • Well, 1st) as I replied to you in the help thread, I already knew it was 40 max, i was just running out of Repels....BUT WHO CARES NOW!! I CAUGHT THE SHINY LUXIO! It took forever.....of course....I...well...I used..an Action replay the get me infinite battery for my Pokeradar :P so it was easier xD

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • I tried chaining with the Pokéradar and failed miserably. My highest chain was I think 25. After I learned to RNG abuse for shinies, I never really tried chaining again since it is a much more tedious and frustrating method.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • I chained for a shiny Shinx and in the 18 try, I got it. Also, I use the PokeRadar for the common use sometimes.

razzbat

dancer
    Years
  • i remember using the pokeradar to get all the pokeradar pokemon but not shinies. i've always considered shiny hunting with either this or rng but have never really gotten around to it....

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I wanted to try, but I couldn't get chaining right at all. I fully understand how it works, I'm just awful at it.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    If using the PokéRadar to find Pokémon that can only be found within it is the "way it's really supposed to be used as" I definitely do not. I only ever use it for chaining certain Pokémon and I've been lucky with that.

The first time I tried chaining for a shiny Plusle and managed to do so at the chain of 8. Another time I attempted to chain for any random Pokémon, which turned out to be Staravia. Got a shiny one at the chain of 14!

I think I've been pretty lucky, since I've never made it to 40 in my chains. u_u Probably won't be that fortunate again if I were to attempt chaining sometime again, as I haven't done so in a while.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I tried it once, during a Metang outbreak. Failed miserably after a 12-chain. The blowing sandstorm on the route in question makes it near impossible to spot which patch of grass is rustling, which is eventually what killed my chain... I couldn't find the next patch of grass I had to go to so I could continue the chain!

No, I've actually had much better luck randomly encountering shinies while level grinding in the wild, lol

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    hmm, I only ever used it once and that was to find a Togepi o.o Although after reading this thread and researching the shiny thing, I'm loading up Diamond! time to get me a shiny Togetic!

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I only used the Pokemon radar when I had to find Pokemon exclusive to that area while using this item; NOT to chain shiny Pokemon because I felt that it was a waste of time. I only found 1 shiny Pokemon with this item. I was looking for a gligar and on my second try, I found a shiny one and I was really happy about it.

:t354:TG

Back