• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did you want a Remake or a Brand New Game? (Edit: Confirmed as remakes!)

What did you want Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire to be?

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    If the advertising specifically said "fresh take on Ruby and Sapphire", they logically have to have something to do with/in Hoenn, be it Hoenn's original form or a reimagining of Hoenn as a futuristic space colony. And why would you do a "fresh take" on a region that you're not even going to visit (you're in Hoenn for the entirety of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, unless you count the Battle Tower/Frontier as separate institutions that are apart from Hoenn. Southern Island, Navel Rock, Faraway Island, and Birth Island are technically apart from Hoenn, too, but all of those locations are limited to events)?

Otherwise, if the region being referenced to for the new adventure doesn't even matter, there's no point in citing Pokemon OmegaRuby/AquaSapphire as new takes on Ruby/Sapphire specifically; why bother?\

Not really. There is more to Ruby and Sapphire than hoenn, namely the bad guys and the Mascots. We can still get the same elements of Ruby and Sapphire in terms of similar story quality. It doesn't mean its going to give us the same thing. A new world is also a key focus. Hoenn isn't a new world. a remade Hoenn wouldn't be a New World either.

Them being a new take means they are similar but different on their own. Take what Ruby and Sapphire had and make it different while still staying true to the original nature. A new take on traditional stories, (let's walt disney this) is an easy retelling of the story with huge changes.

Like the original story of Aladdin. The son of the greatest thieves of all time, who seduces the daughter of the sultan and takes the country. He was changed from a cunning and coniving man with sticky fingers to a street smart and lucky easy going street urchin with a great future.

Sleeping beauty. They toned down the curse from a death curse to a sleeping curse. Really didn't bring out the evil in Malefiscent in the disney version.

Little Mermaid, which if I recall correctly did not have a happy ending at all in the original version.

These are classics that Disney put a new take on. Keeping close to some of the stories and completely changing how they run.

I know of at least one game where its practically the same game over and over. Breath of Fire follows the same characters through all of the games with the same general story. They are all just being retold over and over.

What they need to do is just come out and confirm it. They really should have just done that from the start. There isn't any real point to hide that its Hoenn when its generally known what it is. Only reasons not to showcase it, to build hype and tension, or because its not what we think.

Disagree with the idea that these might be new formes of Groudon/Kyogre (I don't think they are; just highly stylised versions of the originals) means they're completely different mascots. They're still the same creatures.

I'm also willing to assume that Game Freak's more eager on continuing an established pattern rather than consistently attempting to break it.

They are new forms, at least new megas as the popular rumor is. New forms, "officially", are new Pokemon. While they are alternate versions of a species, they aren't specifically that species. A bengal tiger and siberian tiger are both tigers, but belonging to different species of tigers.

As for pattern, they have already debunked any form of pattern. They said they follow no specific pattern with releasing new games. There was never anything to break according to their team. So as far as they are concerned there is no established pattern to continue on so they can essentially make a game however they want. If they wanted this to be a new game borrowing Ruby and Sapphire's heavy hitters, they can easily do that.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'm assuming they're remakes for the time being. Everyone remember when they called Mewtwo Y a "new Pokémon" and people started calling Mewthree...

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    My theory is that depending on what game you buy, it will take place in a more futuristic version of Hoenn where Groudon/Kyogre have taken over the region and events within the game will be based on that.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    They have "Ruby" and "Sapphire" in the title names. If they were making games that weren't based off of these two, there is no way that they would use Ruby & Sapphire it their titles. It would only cause more confusion and Game Freak definitely wouldn't do that on purpose. I bet that the "new world" is just the new graphics, but I obviously could be wrong.

Also, I think I might just be dumb, but I just assumed that the box art was a more dramatic drawing of the legendaries like this, instead of new forms/Megas:
    Spoiler:

Although of course since Megas exist and we don't have access to all of them yet, they could be new Megas, sure.

I was thinking the same thing, actually. When I first saw the box art, my first impression wasn't that they were Mega evolutions. I mean, they're the same markings, but just all glowy xD That would actually be a pretty lazy design for a mega evolution if you ask me :P

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    My theory is that depending on what game you buy, it will take place in a more futuristic version of Hoenn where Groudon/Kyogre have taken over the region and events within the game will be based on that.
    That is so brilliant. Like, Team Magma/Aqua won in one of the versions and you have to do something to revert everything? How do you think that might play out? That's such an interesting idea.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Not really. There is more to Ruby and Sapphire than hoenn, namely the bad guys and the Mascots. We can still get the same elements of Ruby and Sapphire in terms of similar story quality. It doesn't mean its going to give us the same thing. A new world is also a key focus. Hoenn isn't a new world. a remade Hoenn wouldn't be a New World either.

Them being a new take means they are similar but different on their own. Take what Ruby and Sapphire had and make it different while still staying true to the original nature. A new take on traditional stories, (let's walt disney this) is an easy retelling of the story with huge changes.

Like the original story of Aladdin. The son of the greatest thieves of all time, who seduces the daughter of the sultan and takes the country. He was changed from a cunning and coniving man with sticky fingers to a street smart and lucky easy going street urchin with a great future.

Sleeping beauty. They toned down the curse from a death curse to a sleeping curse. Really didn't bring out the evil in Malefiscent in the disney version.

Little Mermaid, which if I recall correctly did not have a happy ending at all in the original version.

These are classics that Disney put a new take on. Keeping close to some of the stories and completely changing how they run.

I know of at least one game where its practically the same game over and over. Breath of Fire follows the same characters through all of the games with the same general story. They are all just being retold over and over.

What they need to do is just come out and confirm it. They really should have just done that from the start. There isn't any real point to hide that its Hoenn when its generally known what it is. Only reasons not to showcase it, to build hype and tension, or because its not what we think.

They are new forms, at least new megas as the popular rumor is. New forms, "officially", are new Pokemon. While they are alternate versions of a species, they aren't specifically that species. A bengal tiger and siberian tiger are both tigers, but belonging to different species of tigers.
    Did you want a Remake or a Brand New Game? (Edit: Confirmed as remakes!)

As for pattern, they have already debunked any form of pattern. They said they follow no specific pattern with releasing new games. There was never anything to break according to their team. So as far as they are concerned there is no established pattern to continue on so they can essentially make a game however they want. If they wanted this to be a new game borrowing Ruby and Sapphire's heavy hitters, they can easily do that.

Do you have a source on this? I've never ever heard of GF commenting on their pattern.

Years

I think the new talked about here is like how the call formes "new" Pokemon. Likely Hoenn will appear but with new areas and a new look, but perhaps still the same story with some things like Megas added in.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    That is so brilliant. Like, Team Magma/Aqua won in one of the versions and you have to do something to revert everything? How do you think that might play out? That's such an interesting idea.

Exactly! I think Rayquaza will play a huge part in these games because he is the one who ended conflict between Kyogre and Groudon in the RSE games. I think that the concept of awakening Rayquaza will be very stressed and that will revert the region to how it normally was. Personally, I'd love to see a good portion of game content even after Rayquaza resolves the problems (if this even happens :p).

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Did you want a Remake or a Brand New Game? (Edit: Confirmed as remakes!)

Do you have a source on this? I've never ever heard of GF commenting on their pattern.

I'll look for it. It was during an interview, I think for Black and White. They were asked how far in advance do they plan the release for their games and if they intended to follow a set pattern of releasing 2 game, and a third (?) every time or something. I think I had posted it sometime back.

I think the new talked about here is like how the call formes "new" Pokemon. Likely Hoenn will appear but with new areas and a new look, but perhaps still the same story with some things like Megas added in.

Still a completely different thing. While New forms are essentially new Pokemon as they are not the same as the original forms of those Pokemon, games are only ever marketed as new world when it's literally a new world. Both of the past remakes were "Revisit", not explore a new world.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Exactly! I think Rayquaza will play a huge part in these games because he is the one who ended conflict between Kyogre and Groudon in the RSE games. I think that the concept of awakening Rayquaza will be very stressed.
    I'm inclined to agree with you. It makes me wonder why Rayquaza wouldn't have been able to quell them before they were able to create total mayhem, though.

Years
    Unless they're confirmed to be sequels, I'm speculating them as remakes with additional things here and there and tweaking the story to fit the current generation (mega stones, for example), just like what the previous remakes have been.

I mean, it'd be odd to release a sequel in a new platform 11 years after the original game was made. You could argue that "It's game freak, you never know," but still, I'm holding onto my instinct until otherwise happens.

Years
    Unless they're confirmed to be sequels, I'm speculating them as remakes with additional things here and there and tweaking the story to fit the current generation (mega stones, for example), just like what the previous remakes have been.

I mean, it'd be odd to release a sequel in a new platform 11 years after the original game was made. You could argue that "It's game freak, you never know," but still, I'm holding onto my instinct until otherwise happens.
    I agree. They should've made them years ago. Plus Hoenn doesn't feel like it needed sequels. Perhaps by new world it'll include Hoenn, but in addition it'll also include a much larger region (perhaps Hoenn enlarged) or a small extra region.

Years
    https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508/index.html

The announcement was made only yesterday, so we were unable to include them in the supplementary document for this financial briefing, but the latest installments from the Pokémon franchise, "Pokémon Omega Ruby" and "Pokémon Alpha Sapphire" will be released globally for Nintendo 3DS in November this year. They are full-remakes of the Game Boy Advance "Pokémon Ruby" and "Pokémon Sapphire" games, which sold more than 5.44 million units in Japan and more than 16.22 million units worldwide.

Years
    The Japanese site of Nintendo is calling them full remakes of the series. " The announcement was made only yesterday, so we were unable to include them in the supplementary document for this financial briefing, but the latest installments from the Pokémon franchise, "Pokémon Omega Ruby" and "Pokémon Alpha Sapphire" will be released globally for Nintendo 3DS in November this year. They are full-remakes of the Game Boy Advance "Pokémon Ruby" and "Pokémon Sapphire" games, which sold more than 5.44 million units in Japan and more than 16.22 million units worldwide." Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508/index.html

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    The Japanese site of Nintendo is calling them full remakes of the series. " The announcement was made only yesterday, so we were unable to include them in the supplementary document for this financial briefing, but the latest installments from the Pokémon franchise, "Pokémon Omega Ruby" and "Pokémon Alpha Sapphire" will be released globally for Nintendo 3DS in November this year. They are full-remakes of the Game Boy Advance "Pokémon Ruby" and "Pokémon Sapphire" games, which sold more than 5.44 million units in Japan and more than 16.22 million units worldwide." Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508/index.html

Now this is official confirmation. Hoenn definitely confirmed.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    So basically we just have remakes , but TCPi is marketing them as if they are a new adventure and a new world completely... Wow the whole speculation that they could of been sequels really got me more excited. Remakes are still exciting anyways! I'm still really looking forward to what they add and change to make it new and different. When TCPi say it's a "new world" it's bound to be slightly different than the original games. Still very excited!

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Of course, some new additions and a few makeovers of treasured old scenes and the new adventure title brags out completely new. Besides, HGSS and FRLG were kind of like hits too.

I just hope they don't release it before Z. Like what happened with Emerald, because they'd either get attracted to the remakes and ignore Z, or vice-versa.

Years
    I warned not to get excited about sequels, it's the same thing that happened with "Mewthree" all over for some...
    Well I doubt Z will come out before these games so they're pulling a Gen III for these remakes fittingly enough xP

Back