• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Didn't see that coming (RMT)

D-puff

Wooper Expert
Years
  • This is a team I've been using for quite a while around NetBattle, aptly named "Didn't see that coming". The main Idea for my team is to make people walk straight into one-hit KO's by switching out and thinking they have the upper hand, just to be taken out by a solid counter. It's worked really well, but I know for most people it would be considered an absolute mess, so I would love some feedback.

I have two problems with the team. One is ice weakness; 3 out of 6 makes it easy to sweep half my team with the right pokemon. Second, I really want to add some sort of wall or supporter to open up for stealth rocking and whatnot, but don't know what to get rid of or what to add. Any ideas for anything that would compliment my team?

Togekiss @ Lum Berry
    HP 100/Spd 156/Sp.Atk 252 (Modest)

- Air Slash
    - Flamethrower
    - Aura Sphere
    - Shadow Ball

Pretty out of the norm for a Togekiss. Instead of a screen supporter, I wanted to take advantage of its very versatile special moveset and good special attack to open up with. It's made to cover just about everything right off the bat. Air slash is a standard attack, and the flinch support is always nice. Flamethrower is usually good for when people think Togekiss can't do anything to a steel type. Aura sphere is there just because it can learn it, but has taken out its fair share of Ttars and Porygons. Lum berry is just a big "screw you" to hypnosis and spore, and is a lovely counter to Smeargle, Breloom, or Gengar (shadow ball). Lum berry also wastes a valuable turn for the toxicing wall. I feel like either shadow ball or aura sphere, though helpful, could be replaced by something much more useful. I was thinking phychic for shadow ball, and maybe hidden power (grass?) for aura sphere. Perhaps nasty plot could also fit in there, since I know thats a classic for Togekiss

Glaceon @ (???)
    HP 252/Def 72/Sp.Atk 112/Sp.Def 72 (Modest)

- Ice Beam
    - Shadow ball
    - Hidden Power Electric
    - Wish

And overall special attacker that can last out enough attacks to take out a good chunk of a team. Ice beam is ice beam. Hidden power electric makes it so almost nothing can 100% resist it; if something isn't resistant to ice beam, chances are hidden power will at least hurt it. Wish is an eeveeloution classic, and works very well with its high hp and defenses. My problem is I can't think of a good item for it. Maybe just leftovers? Also, Shadow ball could be replaced, but all I can think to replace it with is Signal beam.

Metagross @ Life Orb
    Atk 252/Spd 200/Sp.Def 56 (Adamant)

- Iron Head/Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake
    - Bullet Punch
    - Thunder Punch

A physical beast. Iron Head or Meteor Mash are standard STAB, and both have a little umph to them that come in use. Bullet punch is just a priority move, and is good for taking out that pesky focus sasher, almost-dead sweeper, or that sliver of HP from something faster. Thunder punch is just more useful than ice punch, and is good to have around. I really just wish I could put zen headbutt in there...maybe for earthquake?

Hariyama @ Flame Orb (Guts)
    HP 252/Atk 204/Def 52 (Adamant)

- Fake out
    - Revenge
    - Ice Punch
    - Payback

A revenge killer. My original problem was that he was often switched out of to something that can easily kill it; Psychic, ghost, or flying. Payback takes care of both psychic and ghost, and ice punch can take out flying pretty easily. I'm quite fond of payback, because most of the time its a gengar being switched in because "Hariyama's fighting, he cant do anything to me!"

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    HP 108/Atk 148/Spd 252 (Adamant)

- Dragon Claw
    - Aqua Tail
    - Fire Punch
    - Dragon Dance

Dragon Dancer. Nothing much more to it than that. Dragon claw could always be replaced with outrage, for better/riskier sweeping.

Sceptile @ Focus Sash
    Spd 252/Sp.Atk 252 (Timid)

- Dragon Pulse
    - Energy Ball
    - X-scissor
    - Focus Blast

Made for quick strikes, and notably, dragon countering. I honestly don't like sceptile too much. Perhaps I'm just using it wrong, but I feel like I could put something better here. Perhaps this would be good to thing to get rid of for a wall.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Salamence totally outclasses Nite at DDing. Nite is only superior to Mence in sp.def. Mence has more hp and intimidate makes up for its physical def so it takes hits better than nite on the physical side.

That and Nite is slow as hell and with Adamant and reaches 388 speed after a DD which quite frankly sucks ass so getting revenge killed by the metagame is a real possibility. Thus Dragonite MUST run Jolly which means its has less power than Mence who doesnt need to run Jolly to outspeed things. Which means its a lose lose situation either way and you are still inferior to mence.

Salamence also helps with fighting types more, like Lucario thanks to Intimidate.

Focus Sash is a garbage item on ANYTHING other than leads, negated by SR, weather and god know what else. Put specs (keep timid) or scarf (modest) on Sceptile. Leaf Storm >>X-Scissor

Lacks Stealth Rock, so you will struggle pulling of sweeps.

3 of your team is Stealth Rock weak so its really going to prohibit your switching.

SkarmBliss weak...lol, and no way to really open up sweeps.

Alot of problems here anyway, firstly you do not cover the majority of threats well. I mean things like Lucario, Scizor, Gyarados, Salamence, Heatran, Gyarados (just the tip of the iceburg) can just switch in blindly and really destroy you. I advise you use the link i provided, its very helpful. So yeah needs a large revamp. Basically you lack resistances, and ways to check and revenge kill threats.

Also in the "4th gen complied guides" sticky there are some useful resources for this sort of thing too.

Sorry to seem harsh, but its for your own good.

D-puff

Wooper Expert
    Years
  • I'll look into Salamence then, for sure.

Changes made to Sceptile, and I'll iron out any focus sashes.

I want to have stealth rock, but not sure what would be best for it. I could just replace something that's stealth rock weak, but I'm not sure whats worth getting rid of.

I actually usually don't have problems with...most of those threats. I do have a lot of problems Zapdos and Heatran, but most others I can one or two hit KO without taking heavy damage because they don't expect me to kill it so easily (for example, Togekiss (flamethrower) on Skarmory, Hariyama (payback) on Gengar, or Metagross (thunderpunch) on Gyarados). Perhaps I'm just lucky?

It's alright, this is the kind of harshness that I wanted. It's not like I'm completely clueless to the more advance side of pokemon, I just need a push further in the right direction.

Back