• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Difficulty?

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    Is it just me, or are Sun and Moon a good deal harder than most Pokemon games? Not that I'm complaining (I welcome the change!); I'm just curious what other people's thoughts are.

Besides putting some depth into the sets that opponents have (such as with the 4th Totem Pokemon/one of the ones it calls for help), the levels seems to stay pretty close to you, for the most part. I just arrived at the 3rd island, and I'm at about the same levels as Hau was. I'm not sure how much this changes with the Exp. Share on, though, since I've been playing the game with it off this whole time (although, I feel it might not make the biggest difference, since the B/W experience formula is back).

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I have to agree. I went into a few Totem Pokemon battles thinking "Oh I can smash this thing!" and ended up getting destroyed. I've been playing with the EXP Share on since I was worried if I did turn it off, I'd be underleveled but I'm push almost 30! Another part of me feels like the AI is a bit smarter as well. They seem to be keen on using Status moves/Stat lowering moves first. Overall more annoying haha!

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
    Years
    I have to agree that it is a lot harder. After finishing the Team Skull shenanigans on the third island, I have been constantly struggling with everything. I am currently trying to level up everyone to 65 before tackling the "league."

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    Another part of me feels like the AI is a bit smarter as well. They seem to be keen on using Status moves/Stat lowering moves first. Overall more annoying haha!

Oh my god, yes. I remember the second Hau fight: his Pichu used Charm thrice before attacking my Rowlet. Since it was my only Pokemon, that fight took quite a while for me to beat.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Oh my god, yes. I remember the second Hau fight: his Pichu used Charm thrice before attacking my Rowlet. Since it was my only Pokemon, that fight took quite a while for me to beat.

I had this trainer who had an Umbreon who kept using Baby-Doll Eyes.......

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    I'll admit to getting wrecked quite a few times to Totem Lurantis. I had nothing that resisted grass and I made the mistake of knocking out that Trumbeak, which brings in a Castform to use Sunny Day. {XD} Synthesis/Solar Blade galore.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    It it so much harder. I was so shocked that I almost blacked out a couple of times. Totem Vikavolt and Mimikyu were probably the hardest Pokemon for me to fight. Runner up goes to Totem Lurantis for being a pain in the butt all the time.

Years
    I'm barely keeping up with my levels after just completing my 4th trial and I'm about to do some tweeks to my team and do some training before my 2nd Grand Trial. I'm thankful for the fact that you get the exp. share early on.

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    I'll admit to getting wrecked quite a few times to Totem Lurantis. I had nothing that resisted grass and I made the mistake of knocking out that Trumbreak, which brings in a Castform to use Sunny Day. {XD} Synthesis/Solar Blade galore.

Plus, the Castform's Weather Ball. 100 power move + STAB + boost from Sunny Day.

It didn't help in my case that if something on my team wasn't weak to Grass, it was weak to Fire.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Definitely, and it continues into the postgame.

Spoiler:

The difficulty is high but good despite how annoying some of the later pokemon are.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    Huh I didn't read all the thread as I play slowly and I don't want to spoil myself too much, but I was affraid to see this game being too easy! Glad to see it might not be the case?

Years
    I can easily understand what everyone is saying here. But yes, don't ever fight Dexio in the postgame until you're like at least 10 levels higher than him because he has a hard-hitting team of Psychic-types that have coverage for pretty much nearly everything.

As for Totem Pokemon, the hardest one was without a doubt the Mimikyu because it has strong STAB moves and seems to often outspeed and destroy your team. In fact someone who I was watching an LP of got destroyed six times by that thing because he had so many Pokemon weak to Ghost and Fairy on his team, oh and did I mention it also has a Lum Berry?

Lurantis in Lush Jungle has to come a close second, because it has a very high power move (Solar Blade) when you fight it, and your team likely won't have the defenses to take it at that point, plus it calls upon stuff like a sun-setting Castform and a Trumbeak packing Rock Blast to easily destroy most of the weaknesses that Grass has. Even the second totem, Wishiwashi is no slouch, being in School Form and calls upon an Alomomola that heals it every single time with Heal Pulse, all while being in the rain as well.

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
    I've had exp. share on and off for when I felt like it was a needed change, and I feel like not using the exp. share is not a good idea. You're absolutely going to have to grind, and although pokemon centers every 5 steps helps, pokemon calling for help makes grinding a whole lot harder.

Years
    I've had exp. share on and off for when I felt like it was a needed change, and I feel like not using the exp. share is not a good idea. You're absolutely going to have to grind, and although pokemon centers every 5 steps helps, pokemon calling for help makes grinding a whole lot harder.

You have a very accurate point. I remember on Poni Island I started seeing trainers that were on almost on par with my team's levels, notably Hapu. While the Exp. Share has its 6th Gen mechanics again, the fact that the EXP scaling reverted back to 5th Gen mechanics means grinding is difficult and keeping the Exp. Share on is much more recommended than keeping it off because otherwise you'll be underleveled for pretty much every major fight in the game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    From what Ive seen it's quite easy. It mightt be too much of a slog otherwise, with few new Pokémon. I don't mind it being easy though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2022
    I definitely agree, I'm glad it was made ore difficult than some of the previous games.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'm glad it's not just me who's finding this game quite tough. Maybe it's because I'm kinda under-levelled, but a lot of the fights are quite tricky and I'm only just onto the third island. Definitely not a bad thing, one of my issues with X/Y was the lack of difficulty which these games definitely seems to have improved on.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    Yup, I do find it more difficult than previous gen. Especially since XY was very easy xD
    Especially with the call for help feature, sometimes they call a Pokemon that is 3-4 levels higher than mines and I'm already having trouble dealing with one Pokemon with the same level as mine.

Years
    I think its a bit more difficult than past games, and I love it! Especially after I found XY and ORAS really easy.

Back