• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Diffrences in Morality Between the Pokemon World and Our Own

Years
  • As we all know, the world of Pokemon is much different than our own. For one thing, humanity isn't alone in that world; what with Pokemon being pretty much sapient, several creatures that may be considered gods share the land with humans and Pokemon, there's a lot of fantasy influence, there's Aura and other supernatural forces, and even Pokemon fighting one another for sport is considered a good way for kids to mature, somehow. We on the other hand, live in a place where all of that doesn't even exist.

So there's got to be entirely different ways of thinking that world has from our own, but what I'm interested in particular is morality. What moral differences do you guys think the Pokemon world has from our own?

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
  • The obvious would be that randomly challenging someone to a battle seems to be acceptable almost everywhere in the pokemon world. Also, nobody calls out the player in D/P/Pl for basically enslaving God.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    When Pokemon fights, everyone gathers around and watches them; when real animals fight everyone runs for their lives. Rather obvious, but I just had to say it!

GhostQuill

Nooby Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2012
    It seems pretty normal to let your 3 year olds fight with little animals that could kill them (B/W)
    Why take care of kids, ditch them to an adventure when they hit 10!
    Also, you (the player) doesn't need to eat, sleep, drink, or do your necessities in the Poikeworld ...

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    It seems pretty normal to let your 3 year olds fight with little animals that could kill them (B/W)
    Why take care of kids, ditch them to an adventure when they hit 10!
    Also, you (the player) doesn't need to eat, sleep, drink, or do your necessities in the Poikeworld ...
    Well, that last part especially is not so much morality, rather than just things that are left out of the game because it would obscure gameplay otherwise. Those are not things that a game like that focuses on, they don't matter so for the sake of gameplay they are just left out. Conceptually you could say that trainers do eat and drink etc, because there's bars sometimes and there are vending machines too, and a poffin house and whatnot.

I don't really think the morals are that different, it's just that there are more posibilities than in the real world. You can't go on a journey in the real world like kids in the Pokéworld do. It's not because their parents would care less about what happens to them than in the real world, it's just because the circumstances are different there.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I think a few already mentioned that people watch Pokemon battle, which would be different from watching animals fight. I don't think that comparison is entirely fair to begin with. Pokemon are obviously more than just cute animals that can burn your house down. Animals do exist in the Pokemon world, so comparing animals fighting from Pokemon battling is entirely different and that doesn't hit the moralities. Animal fighting is serious business. Usually they don't unless it's for survival or mating purposes.

Pokemon battling is like watching a game of football or basketball or any other sport. Contests are just like beauty contests mixed in with some athletics, if that made any sense. Battling is popular, so training Pokemon is like practicing a sport. Almost everyone has done it before. Morally speaking, this doesn't make the Pokemon world that much different from ours. They share the love for entertainment. The morals really divide when it comes to the teams, especially Team Plasma since they play the role of PETA. Actually, the teams are like really large gangs or evil corporations if anything.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I feel like bringing up the fact that a ten year old can journey by themselves without needing to worry about muggers, stalkers, kidnappers, or child predators.

And people are willing to leave their doors unlocked and welcome total strangers into their homes with open arms.

In both of the above cases, it's clear that the denizens of the Pokemon world can trust total strangers. They rest assured that more likely than not a fellow person is not going to try to harm them.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2012
    Some other differences:

• You find an item on the ground and immediately declare it yours. Even when you're in a warehouse, someone's home, etc.
    • You can just walk into people's houses.
    • People of very different ages being friends, engaging in the same activities, competing against each other, etc.

psyanic

Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    • People of very different ages being friends, engaging in the same activities, competing against each other, etc.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Are you telling me I can't be friends with someone who's 50 years older than me? What do you have against the elderly? And besides, you can play chess with your grandfather. You might be able to play sports if they're up for it. That's competing with older people. There's also children to consider, since I'd say the age difference is there.

And the finding the item on the ground? People do that all the time, though it's mainly with money. The values are still in the same place. Sure some people don't pick them up, but in the games you don't really have a choice unless you really don't want it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2012
    Some other differences:

• You find an item on the ground and immediately declare it yours. Even when you're in a warehouse, someone's home, etc.
    • You can just walk into people's houses.

1.I have found lots of things on the ground and claimed them mine. ipod,phones,games etc. Grant you at times I find stupid stuff like a used cig or medicine bottels

2.Ok I agree with you on this one

3.I'm friends with people of all ages. Age should not mean you can not be friends with certain people.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2012
    For the first one, I mean, if I'm at a buddies house, and there's a bottle of vodka lying on the floor, I'm not going to pick it up and declare it mine. Obviously money/items found on the street can be yours, but general things that I find I try to get to the original owner if possible. The closest real world example I can think of is: I found a pair of sunglasses on the ground at a hockey arena. I didn't declare them mine, I brought them to the front desk and handed them in. And there is an item called Black Glasses in Pokemon. And if I read this correctly, in the Hoenn games, there is a guy specifically looking for his glasses, and you can find them near him yet you don't give them back, they now become yours. That's different morals if I've ever seen it.

As for the friends with people much older, I don't mean your grandparent. Yes elderly people can be your friend, but it's not a cultural norm to befriend other people's grandparents at random and engage in competition. I have nothing against the elderly. In fact, I have volunteered for many years at a foundation for the elderly in my area, and have been caring for my ill grandmother for some time. I am simply pointing out that it's much more common and expected in Pokemon for age to not be an issue. If my mom knew her 10 year old son was on an adventure battling against a 40-something American war vet who specialized in electrical manipulation, she'd probably have an issue with that.

psyanic

Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    The Hoenn guy was looking for his glasses, however, the Black Glasses are not his glasses. If you find them with the Itemfinder and try giving them to him, he'll say they're not the right pair and just walk away. And I think you're looking too in context with the games. Do you think you can literally turn in every little Ether or Potion you find on the ground to the local PokeMart? Nah. That's just a game mechanic. And just because that's what you did doesn't mean someone else will do the same. Yesterday, my friend left her backpack in the locker room for five minutes. She came back and all her papers were out on the floor and she was missing her phone, iPod, and quite a few pencils.

And supposedly, age shouldn't be an issue in our world either. Look at all the couples with wide age differences. Friends are made, not because of age, but because of some common ground or something. And it's expected in Pokemon for age not to be an issue? Look at all the dialogue directed at Red or whomever saying, "Hey, it's just a kid."/"Oh crap, I lost to a kid."/"You're a gifted kid."/"Stupid child, get out of here." You know, that kind of thing. Age does play some kind of role in the games, though it's more about Pokemon battling prowess more than socializing. Lt. Surge does make quite a few comments on the protagonist being young and how he'd crush him or shock him, etc. Even in the anime, Lt. Surge just about towers over Ash and practically pummels him along with other young trainers, though he loses eventually.

Back