• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Digimon did not copy Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    So recently as I have been surfin da forums(Buns used surf!) as I usually do, and came across a couple of people using examples of how Digimon copied Pokemon. They didn't say anything rude about either franchise, but me being me I dislike when people have the wrong information(It isn't their fault I thought the same thing until recently when I got back into Pokemon and Digimon) I am a big fan of both I just want to clear things up for people who don't know ^_____^

To put things short: Digimon started as a virtual pet toy that copied the concept of the Tamagotchi, but aimed for boys(Since this V-Pet could fight other V-Pets blah blah marketing stuff). Then a manga one shot was released that spawned Digimon Manga, Shows, etc
    Pokemon and Digimon are similar just both were spawned from different ideas.
    (Also I posted this on the right topic right? It is Pokemon related so I assume so? ;-; I am still new to posting here so I hope so)

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
    Years
    I was never into Digimon but what I can remember from the franchise, it was definitely not a Pokemon copycat in any other way other than the 'mons both evolve.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Before we accuse anyone.
    Heres the real deal
    Who comes first? POKEMON, OR....DIGIMON
    Not quite sure I understand what you are asking there? :>

There's not much to discuss that hasn't been discussed to bits somewhere else already, I'd think...

Pokémon and digimon aren't the same thing, the anime works differently and so do the games. The origins of the worlds and monsters are different, pokémon are like animals while digimon talk and today I don't believe one has copied the other. I do remember believing that digimon was a ripoff of pokémon when I was young though, just because it came to my country after pokémon did ^^

What is a fact though, is that new franchises always can be influenced by older ones. Great ideas with a few tweaks can be even greater ideas :> Not sure to what extent this is true for digimon or pokémon. Maybe not at all, as you would like to say.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I think thats when it came to the States. Ive seen things celebrating Pokemon being around for 20 years
    No those sound right. Pokemon came to the US in 1998. I remember that much because I was so excited that the games came out while I was 10 years old because of the whole trainers start their journeys at 10 thing the Anime had going on.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I remember when pokémon first came here too. Everyone was running around with the TCG cards and trading until the teachers finally banned them from school because of people getting tricked and stuff xD

But there never was a Digimon craze here. I always thought Digimon came before pokémon actually, and just didn't become as big as the latter, but apparently not. Interesting to know!

I would probably have loved to have a V-pet ^^ But I can see why the pokémon games were a bit superior, at least for people who had gameboys hah. It's like the V-pet only times six (your pokémon party) and with a whole region to explore on screen. So it's not difficult to see why people thought one had copied the other.

Not trying to say which franchise is the better one, now! That's not what this thread is about, I hope ;) So let's not.

Pikayosh

Epic Pikachu
    Years
    yes digimon didn't copy off of pokemon, digimon can have up to like 10 evolution lines and can evolve backwards pokemon do not and you live in a digital world not in the living like pokemon

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
    The two are linked on name alone.

Rapid metamorphosis of the local wildlife is a trait they share in the form of digivolution and evolution, yes, but it wasn't something that was invented by either of them. I'm sure several franchises have used it before, and if anything the idea was copied from insect metamorphosis. If either of the two franchises had gone by a different name I doubt there would be this comparison between the two of them.

Back