• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Digimon

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I used to like Digimon, I saw the first(?) movie about 50 times and watched 2 or 3 seasons. Oh yeah my favourite Digimon was Omnimon, it's just so awesome.

Xashlei

Contest Nerd
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2009
    I'll start by assuming you're referring to the post a few up about the rip off? first I'll note that post said "was". now whether they still think that now is unknown, but once they gain an opinion and it hasn't been disproved, it stays that way (human nature, go figure)

Also, EVERYONE thought digimon ripped off of pokemon when it first came out. Why? Pokemon got dubbed first. And in addition, i'm pretty sure (digimon) it aired on Fox Kids after Pokemon came out on Kids WB. In other words, Fox Kids got Digimon to compete with Pokemon (or something like that). but ya, even I thought Digimon was a rip off when it first came out. (Granted, I watched digimon more cuz that first season was amazing)
    Well, taking it into context, "I didn't like the fact that Digimon was a rip-off of Pokemon." and the person watched the first series sounds like it's been accepted as that in her mindset. Plus the post was just one day ago. Ah well...

... I'm probably just a weirdo, but I don't regard monsters being in both series as clones of eachother. For one thing, their designs and concepts were way different in my eyes. Pokemon were from the wild, trainable, and collectible so that you could challenge those who are stronger in an adventure (and in games, you are forced to beat evil corporations with them). Digimon were set as a partner throughout a journey of survival and finding a way back home, and later, Digimon are coordinated with an emotion so that when their human learns the true quality of it, they Digivolve. Then they fight an evil squad of DigiWorld Conquerors. That part sounds like the Pokemon's "VS. EVIL DOMINATING GROUP" thing, but how many series don't have powerhungry maniacs?

Was the Pokemon vs. Digimon competing thing official? For some reason I like to think they just happened to be release not too far from eachother. Hm...

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I used to like it and I really liked those two guys who have agumon and gabumon as their partners.(I believe their names were taichi and yamato. I just forgot. Sorry :P)

And for god's sake, Digimon are NOT pokemon's ripoff!

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
    I agree with Crusher. Digimon and Pokemon are Different!
    Digimon- Digimon can speak,Digimon don't have to be trained,Digimon can change digivolves!
    Pokemon- Can not speak,have to be trained,Pokemon evolve but can not change back!

Xashlei

Contest Nerd
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2009
    @Crusher 1: Yeah, their names were Taichi and Yamato. They fought a lot. Running gag in Digimon: the main and second main fighting a lot. Except in Tamers, since everyone seemed to get along okay. xD;

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
    Years
    I love Digimon and I agree with Crusher and Graceful, I really don't see it as a rip off either!

I've seen the first 3 seasons (My favourites being a draw between 2 and 3 so far) and the first few episodes of the 4th, I've heard of Savers but I haven't got around to watching that yet.

I've watched the movie countless amounts of times, it never bores me.

I have many favourite Digimon, but one I've always loved is BlackWargreymon! As overrated as he probably was, he was sooo badass back in the day! Wargreymon vs BlackWargreymon was epic!

So as you can imagine, I'm a massive fan of the series <3

Years
    I love Digimon too! Me and my best friends then used to role play it too. It was really fun! We always made a hole new stories. :D My fav serier is 2nd. I just don't know why.

dannichols

A Theodore Tugboat Fan
    Years
    I still like Digimon. I have taped the third, fourth and fith series and I still like them. I also enjoyed the movies as well. Sometimes, I think about the times I first watched the fourth season.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    As I recall, first season was the only dub where they kept the Japanese names. From what I remember, the main website actually had their Japanese names and the names in the show were only nicknames or something

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
    Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    Digimon is really good, even though I drew away from it a bit because my friend never shut up about it, the nutcase. I liked every season but I think my favorites are Frontier and Zero Two. Yay twins and repentant boys! I'm not sure what my favorite Digimon are.

Frontier kept most of the Japanese names in the dub, but Adventure did keep them all I think only used nicknames.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I love the first 3 series,(Didnt like the new ones)I always loved Digimon when I was young, I cant even stop watching it(after the third series, I stopped)
    I agree with Crusher, Digimon isnt a Rip off, they are pretty much deffrent except for the name.

I also still play Digimon games.(World Dawn, Rumble arena and world 4 are my favorite)

My favorite Digimon is Guilmon.

Last edited:

MLU

Returning Tradesman
    Years
    I played Digimon at one point in my life, but then I quit. I wasn't really addicted, and wasn't commited to the game, but I had some trading cards and such.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    YAY! It feels so good when someone agrees with you! ;)

And @Digi-kun:I am not too sure about those people having japanese names in only the first series.

I play digimon sometimes.(World dawn, World DS)

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    I dunno if I worded it wrong, but by that I meant that the first season was the only season to completely keep the original names of the characters. The names used in the (dub) show were supposedly just nicknames because the main site (when it was around) said Taichi "Tai" Kamiya, Yamato "Matt" Ishida, Izumi -> Izzy, Takeru -> T.K., Hikari -> Kari, so on. But regardless, those were supposed to be nicknames with their full names on the official website.

Starting Adventure 02, the main characters were given full-blown American names, like Daisuke to Davis, Ruki to Rika, Izumi to Zoe, Masaru to Marcus [Effectively breaking the chain of keeping the lead character's name intact].

Also, that person really did think the pokemon is a rip off of digimon, so I understand people's pain XD

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Only seen the first three seasons and I loved them. Kari was my favorite character. =3

Back