• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Digital Download or Boxed?

How will you be getting Pokémon X or Y?

• Total voters

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
Years
  • Definitely getting the boxed game(s). There's just something that feels so wonderful about holding the hard copy in your hands.

Elite Four Lucian

Elite Four - Psychic User
    Years
  • It depends on what my current situation is at the time. If I have a car I'll get the boxed editions, if I don't, I'll get the digital downloads.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • I'll be buying the boxed versions of both Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. I normally enjoy buying the boxed versions 'cause you can keep that saved data on the game card, unlike the digital downloaded ones are restricted to the one Nintendo 3DS and it's unique NAND ID for the SD cards prevents the apps from being used on other Nintendo 3DS systems.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • Boxed please. I don't like long downloading times. I didn't even know the information that PokémonShinySilver knew (but it makes sense.)

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I'm not really sure. Having a boxed copy would be awesome and all. But I don't really have the patience to wait on a line. Then again, If I download I would probably have to wait at least 30 minutes for it to download. Maybe I can wake up really early so I can download the game before GameStop opens! Not to mention I wouldn't be able to lose it because it would be forever be embedded in my 3DS!

...and what if some bizarre freak accident occurred that resulted in you losing your 3DS? *gasps*

In all seriousness though, I'm not much of a hoarder of things, so I have plenty of room for physical game copies(the boxes aren't that big these days) and it has more of the feeling that it's mine to me(especially with Nintendo being behind in the account based systems area). Also, maybe it's just me, but I find it much more amusing to look back on actual 'box' art years down the line in comparison to just looking at a pop up icon on a screen.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Boxed versions! Even though these won't be able to be played on older DS, I'd still prefer the boxes. Though it's actually really cool that you can just download them!

BLOOOD-La-ti-

This is the place to try!
    Years
  • ofc boxed copy,
    and this time I'm not getting a flashcart.
    I'm getting the boxed copy this time.
    And I don't want to wait for the eShop to get the games.
    It would be faster if I'll get the boxed copy.lol :)

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I will definitely be getting the boxed version. I really like having a physical copy of a game and I've never been a huge fan of digital downloads of games. It's a nice idea though for those people who don't mind. Imagine losing your 3DS though? ZOMG!

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Physical, since with a physical copy, if your 3DS breaks, your save file won't go bye-bye.
    And considering how Nintendo's eShop system works, you wouldn't be able to retrieve your progress from The Cloud.

While it is true that one could also have their cart damaged, it is also currently possible to backup your save files directly from your 3DS cartridges, which you would be able to restore to another cartridge afterwards. (Pretty sure you could backup your save file from your SD card with the eShop copies, but I'm pretty sure it isn't yet possible to use a save file with a different copy of a same eShop game currently. So if your 3DS broke or anything, you would lose your progress and all your Pokémon either way.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • I couldn't download if I wanted to because I lack any kind of connection to do so, but I definitely don't want to anyway. Box it is

User19sq

I'm getting the boxed version. A wise man once said "Shut up and take my money!", and I feel that this applies to almost all of us, so the effort of going to the store shouldn't be a hassle to us either. That, and if our 3DS's get damadged by any minor thing, we can lose our progress! But with a cartridge, we can simply save the card and just wait till we get a new 3DS, and in the meantime, we can borrow a friend's 3DS to keep playing the game on. So, boxed it is.

Boxed editions. I like to collect all the things inside, like the instruction manuals. I still have my Pokemon Crystal one, as that was my first REAL Pokemon game. (I played Red and Blue on an emulator when they came to the states, I didn't have a Gameboy until just before Crystal came out.)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Boxed as always. I perfer touching something whether it be game cartridges or books. Also what if I buy a new 3Ds and want to play it there or mine breaks down...yeah boxed all the way. Plus I love collecting the boxes (sigh wish I still had my Sapphire and Emerald boxes).

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I rather have physical copies of stuffs I get. It will also amplify my Pokemon game collection that I got :)
    And having to open the box and taking out the game and putting the cartridge in your DS just seem to have a rather enjoyment for me instead of just having a digital copy. Digital Copy just doesn't seem like the real deal to me.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2021
    Having a physical copy of a game makes me feel like I actually own it, if that makes sense. I do not plan to convert to digital download unless that becomes a standard in the future.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I'm a collector, so it's boxed all the way. Also, digital versions of 3DS games are the SAME price as their physical counterparts. Which defeats the purpose of ever getting the digital copy, you would be cheating yourself out of a box, manual, and cart.

I don't think Nintendo has quite figured out that the digital version is always supposed to be cheaper than the physical.

Flydro

doobz
    Years
  • I'll be getting the boxed version.. just because I like the feeling I get when I come home with a new game and start playing it for the first time. Both Gamestop and Walmart are just a 5 minute drive up the street from my house anyway.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2013
    Boxed Editions will always be a nostalgia that we will never forget. It is very much different from downloading the game from an E-Shop and it will always be a memento to keep

Back