• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

digital vs physical

Neo Emolga

Legendary Sky Squirrel
Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2016
    I usually go for physical if it's possible.

I had a bad experience where I brought about $60 worth of downloaded games from RealArcade, and then all of a sudden, their service was discontinued and I no longer had access to them. Ever since that experience, I prefer having the physical copy.

gnmmarechal

Hurricane the Blaziken
    Years
  • I personally hate reading books on a screen. I love books, but I hate reading ebooks. For me, I only read actual books (so I have a ton of them and no more space for them lol).

Games that I like, I buy them physically most of the time, especially if for collection (like Pokemon) but if I can't get them physically, well Ill get digital.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    Books I prefer to go physical 99% of the time, I do have some Ebooks on my Kobo but nothing can beat reading a physical copy (Kinda stuck now since my bookcase is full)

Films has to be physical, with digital your never getting the same blu-ray experiance since it would be impossible to download 50GB digital versions its not the same high quality

Music oddly I prefer to purchase digitally the option to buy a single track off a album rather than the full album for a couple of songs is really helpful along with Spotify is all I need

Games I always purchase physically also, I also have and always will feel once you purchase a game you should have the right to resell that game at a later date, expecially with how short single player stories are getting these days.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    music - digital for music i actually want to listen to, physical for stuff i want to decorate my room with. i have a little hobby of buying/finding on the street viny records (mainly their covers) and sticking them up around my room and making the place vibrant and fun to look at. but since i have well over 150 records + cd cases at this point my room is about as full as it can be. if i get a record player i'll listen to the vinyl records but at this point they're only for decoration.
    everything i actually listen to is physical, 99% of the time torrented or downloaded through an application. i don't care about physically owning a song as it's just not important to me. the only times i'll buy a digital song/album is if i feel the artist needs to be supported in more ways than just money. ie: beyoncé. an album about female liberation, specifically black female liberation? she pocketed my money as soon as she leaked the album. i also wanted to support azealia banks in the same regard considering she is a darkskin female rapper with far more talent than eggy australia, but i won't spend any of my own money because of her history of transmisogyny. but i digress! i only spend my money on digital music if the cause is more important than just hearing a song.

film/tv - torrenting again. i'll go see the movie in cinemas if i want to, but basically every film or tv show that i watch nowadays is through torrenting. i don't watch tv irl 'cause i'm too busy + the movie usually takes at least $21 out of my pocket so i am quite fine with sticking to torrenting. as for hd quality and w/e.... usually what i find is of perfect quality regardless of if it's bluray or w/e.

books - physical. i have a pisspoor attention span as it is so there's no way i could balance digitally reading books with everything else i have on my laptop or whatever. besides, i'm not bringing my laptop or phone to the toilet with me. ok, i bring my phone when i'm texting. but the point is, i'm going to always choose physical books over digital.

games - for console games i tend to buy physical copies as they're usually cheaper and i can get a good deal with them. otherwise i stick to browsing the 80% off sales on steam and being a tightass.

i think that covers it!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Usually I'll go Physical if it comes to owning music, because it feels complete if I have the cover, case and all. But I'm starting to considering if I'll use Digital for gaming, though.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • considering
    Dude, gaming is probably the only time you should go digital, and for a very good reason. Many games aren't found in stores, and PC gaming relies heavily on digital sales. I mean ****, just look at Steam. Most games released there aren't released physically, and even then, if they are, it's usually because they're AAA games, which can afford the price for producing physical copies.

Years
  • Books: Always physical. It's just not the same.

Games: Physical whenever I can, digital when I have no money and i need to steal it

Music: 100% digital although I'd like to get some vinyls to put on my wall because I don't have any of them

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Physical because I don't really feel comfortable with storing stuff on digital interfaces, at least I have it for a very long time. If Itunes decides to close and my computer gets wiped, then I lose Black Dynamite and Birdemic FOREVER. But not my Miyazaki films since I own the physical copies.

Ultimately those will degrade as well but hell I just like them better hahaha.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I always buy books physically.

I very rarely buy movies physically.

I buy records and CDs, but I have a far larger digital collection than I do physical.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Whatever's cheapest or good value, but I very rarely buy physical music as I usually stream music off Play Music.

Years
  • I prefer to have physical copies of my music. I honestly don't have a big reason as to why I prefer physical other than the fact that I like collecting music.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • When for physical, work with physical. When for digital, work with digital. For their respective applications each do really well for their own, but less than adequately for each other. I think this works well for any artistic application.

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
  • I would buy physical copies of DVDs, but for CDs and music, I can get those off of iTunes/some other wonderful place on the internet/off the CD from the library, so I tend to do that instead. Especially for music and there's only one or two songs from a specific CD I want. n_n

Books I always do physically though.

pkmin3033

I go physical where I can, but I find myself buying stuff digitally more and more these days. I haven't bought a music CD in years (although I did buy a casette the other month!) and, since I was bought a Kindle a couple of years ago, I've been buying new series on that, and only buying series I already have parts of in hardback or paperback...I'm indifferent to the two really; they both have pros and cons. In terms of TV shows and anime etc, I usually torrent, but I will buy DVDs if they're affordable. All my comics etc are physical; the idea of digital graphic novels is ridiculous to me. My Kindle is a basic black and white one, I don't have a tablet, and I wouldn't want them on my laptop.

I hate digital video games with a passion and, unless I have no other choice - and I will gripe about it excessively if I don't - I will go physical each and every time. The cost of memory cards (I'm looking at you, PlayStation Vita) is absolutely disgusting, and the size of the games means you very quickly fill the space you have. Most games have huge mandatory installs as well, so before you know it your console's memory space is full...500GB sounds like a lot, but it isn't. Plus I just like owning the game; I have the option of trading it in then as well.

guitarhero01234

Coke Chugger
    Years
  • I have a pretty decent-sized collection of CDs laying around my house, and a few vinyl records. I have bought some music off iTunes and gotten quite a few free albums off of bands' websites, but I much prefer to have a physical copy of an album.

As for games and books, it really doesn't matter to me. I pretty much go off a "physical when I want to, digital when I don't" basis. Now that I have Steam though, I have a feeling my game collection will be a little more digital.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • I still buy a physical copy of everything. I like having it there in person and it feels more like you "own" it. I still buy albums and have a quite large collection on my shelf and I don't think I'll ever stop buying physical copies.
    I don't like to idea of audio books/digital books either. A perfectly good printed book is good for me. I like that new book smell.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I don't trust digital on a very general basis. It's just so easy for it to be washed away with the press of a button. Even though I have like three back-ups of all the data on this computer, I still prefer to go with physical. In fact, most of the video games I own are physical discs. I'll only go for the digital if it's something I don't really give that much of a damn about or it's really cheap. Or a combination of both.

As for books, I prefer those digitally. I just have a preference for reading things on a screen and I don't really care about them all that much. Most of the types of things I like to read are non-fiction and facts rather than story novels. They take up a lot of space as well, and can be easily damaged due to their fragileness, which makes them less feasible than digital downloads to me.

Most of the music I've had has been digital since I was a child, so I don't get the concept of having it physically. It seems like it'd waste a lot of space, and be annoying to have to change CDs or find a certain one everytime you want a song. I prefer just having the files and rifing through them on my device. Since that's become the norm, I've been so happy.

...I guess I prefer digital more than I thought. But even if it's convenient, I still can't help but feel paranoid anyway. With three backups though, I'm unlikely to lose most of my stuff.

Back