• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dinosaur Chat

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Would anyone like to talk dinosaurs? I'm an aspiring paleontologist, so dinosaurs are kinda my thing. My favorite has always been the Velociraptor, it's kinda where part of my name came from (and those of you who will probably feel the need to point it out, it's misspelled in my name for a reason). I'm also kinda fond of the Stygimoloch, in my opinion one of the most, pardon language here, bad-ass cephalosaurids. Anyone have any thoughts?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I hope you are majoring in that in college so good luck on your dreams. Anyways, my favorite dinosaur would have to be a Stegosaurus (is that how you spell it) I just like how its shorter than most dinosaurs and the plates or spikes.

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    I hope you are majoring in that in college so good luck on your dreams. Anyways, my favorite dinosaur would have to be a Stegosaurus (is that how you spell it) I just like how its shorter than most dinosaurs and the plates or spikes.

:t354:TG

I dunno about that, wasn't stegasaurus one of the 'big' dinosaurs of the Jurassic? It's back arched pretty high and its plates gave it extra height. There were probably more dinosaurs that were shorter than stegosaurus than there were that were taller. Sorry I didn't mean to nitpick I was just correcting you there, nothing personal lol.

Stygimoloch looks a lot like some depictions of dragons to me. The skull on wikipedia has some rare skin impressions, too.

I like all prehistoric beasts including dinosaurs.

metronome

dinosaurs are cool
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2011
    :DDD

I love the chinese feathered dinosaurs (Dilong, Sinosauropteryx, etc.), and their later bird relatives, as well as a lot of the Ornithopods.

Mostly, though, I just like reading up on their evolution and unique adaptations, especially their differences from modern reptiles.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    It's nice that you want to be a paleontologist, I was debating on becoming one too XD

My favorites would have to be....
    Nanotyrannus, for those who don't know what it is, it's basically a smaller version of a T-rex (Which it was thought to be a juvenile one, but they're still debating on whether it's true or not so we don't know if it's the same or different) and they basically have narrower teeth, thinner head, and some of it's body features were extended. They've only found two 'juvenile' specimens so they can't really make a definite answer on what it's maximum length is.

Oviraptor, for those who don't know what it is, it's a small, bipedal theropod dinosaur that's name means 'egg thief'. It was basically thought to steal other dinosaurs eggs due to the fact they found it on top of a nest, but later on it was proven that the eggs were in fact it's own so now the name is kind of off, but it's still pretty unique. The shape of it's skull is a lot different that other theropods.

Carcharodontosaurus, for those who don't know what it is, it's one of the largest, if not the largest theropod (meat eating) dinosaur that has been found, and unlike other theropods, it's skull was more closer to raptors then other large theropods. It's been guessed to be 12-13 meters long 6-15 tons!

Well, I'll stop for now seeing as I'm not at home at the moment. I'll be back!

DoctorSlavic

Shotgun Doctor
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 23, 2011
    *Gasp* My favorite subject!

Well, I am more partial to the predecessors to the dinosaurs, but I'm still a fan. My favorites would probably have to be...

Spinosaurus. No explanation for what this is because you shouldn't need one.

Utahraptor, really big raptor, though no one has actually found a good skeleton of it.

Anomalocaris, a very prehistoric creature that is the first apex predator.

Also:
    My favourite was the brontosaurus.
    This is a mjor sadface, because the brontosaurus never existed... according to science. It is now known as the Apatosaurus. Just like Pluto.

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • This is a mjor sadface, because the brontosaurus never existed... according to science. It is now known as the Apatosaurus. Just like Pluto.

I'll be honest here, there are some theories that paleontologists have come up with recently that I disagree with. Although the Brontosaurus -> Apatosaurus isn't one of them, I felt like that was kind of a cue.

The main ones I disagree with are how some think the Tyrannosaurus Rex was a scavenger instead of a predator, and how there's research being done about the Velociraptor having feathers. With the T-rex one, I'm sorry, I don't know what whoever thought of this theory was thinking. You don't get a creature THAT BIG living off of scraps, granted they were pretty big scraps, but still. The T-rex skull even has characteristics of a predator.

As for the Velociraptor theory, it's not so much the theory I disagree with, but how they try to portray it. Velociraptors were viscious pack hunters, we know that, we have fossil evidence of that. It stands to reason they would try to be stealthy on the hunt, in my opinion, because of that. I'm sorry, but having like three-inch long feathers sticking out like they have been ruffled does not seem stealthy. My picture of a Velociraptor is either the classic scales or if they did have feathers, something closer to the Vivosaur, V-Raptor, in the Fossil Fighters game.

@Tatsujin, I plan on it but, at the moment, money issues have kept me from going to college. That's why I'm still just aspiring. XD

Last edited:

.AhKeno*

~~~~*
    Years
  • Dinosaurs r kool
    Dinosaur Chat

Anybody here ever play Dinosaur Safari? game where you take picture of different dinosaurs.

I know people on here played Fossil fighters, I got a deinchus.

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Never heard of Dinosaur Safari to be honest. I'm curious about it now.

Question for everyone: Whats your favorite dinosaurs of the following catagories?

Carnivore - Mines Velociraptor, of course
    Herbivore - Probably the Ankylosaurus
    Flying - Quetzalcoatlus, just because it has a really unique name XD
    Water-dwelling - Plesiosaurus, the swimming long-neck

DoctorSlavic

Shotgun Doctor
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 23, 2011
    Carnivore: Utahraptor. Sheer mystery and power.
    Herbivore: (Not fans of these types, but...) Dracorex!!!! <3 Primeval
    Flying: Also Quetzalcoatlus, or maybe Archeopteryx (sp?), unless Meganeura counts...
    Water-Dwelling: Brontoscorpio all the way.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Paleo is really fantastic. You should definitely go into that (I would know).
    Velociraptors are also one of my favorites, but did you know that their entire bodies were covered with feathers and they had wings? ;)

DoctorSlavic

Shotgun Doctor
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 23, 2011
    Paleo is really fantastic. You should definitely go into that (I would know).
    Velociraptors are also one of my favorites, but did you know that their entire bodies were covered with feathers and they had wings? ;)

*GASP* Wait, re- oh yeah. That's right. Though I'm a bit rusty. Were they actual feathers or were they protofeathers?

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • *GASP* Wait, re- oh yeah. That's right. Though I'm a bit rusty. Were they actual feathers or were they protofeathers?

I'm going to quote a previous post of mine in response to this.

I'll be honest here, there are some theories that paleontologists have come up with recently that I disagree with. Although the Brontosaurus -> Apatosaurus isn't one of them, I felt like that was kind of a cue.

The main ones I disagree with are how some think the Tyrannosaurus Rex was a scavenger instead of a predator, and how there's research being done about the Velociraptor having feathers. With the T-rex one, I'm sorry, I don't know what whoever thought of this theory was thinking. You don't get a creature THAT BIG living off of scraps, granted they were pretty big scraps, but still. The T-rex skull even has characteristics of a predator.

As for the Velociraptor theory, it's not so much the theory I disagree with, but how they try to portray it. Velociraptors were viscious pack hunters, we know that, we have fossil evidence of that. It stands to reason they would try to be stealthy on the hunt, in my opinion, because of that. I'm sorry, but having like three-inch long feathers sticking out like they have been ruffled does not seem stealthy. My picture of a Velociraptor is either the classic scales or if they did have feathers, something closer to the Vivosaur, V-Raptor, in the Fossil Fighters game.

@Tatsujin, I plan on it but, at the moment, money issues have kept me from going to college. That's why I'm still just aspiring. XD

DoctorSlavic

Shotgun Doctor
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 23, 2011
    Yeah, i see what you mean. Raptors were definitely wolf-like pack hunters (only better), and they did have feathers, but not like the ones we would see on a modern day swallow, because that would effect stealth. I do like the idea of protofeathers, because it gives them a sleek body to run around in. However, it is not entirely out of the question that they may have had more modern feathers, wvwn though it wouldn't make a whole lot of evolutionary sense.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • As for the Velociraptor theory, it's not so much the theory I disagree with, but how they try to portray it. Velociraptors were viscious pack hunters, we know that, we have fossil evidence of that. It stands to reason they would try to be stealthy on the hunt, in my opinion, because of that. I'm sorry, but having like three-inch long feathers sticking out like they have been ruffled does not seem stealthy. My picture of a Velociraptor is either the classic scales or if they did have feathers, something closer to the Vivosaur, V-Raptor, in the Fossil Fighters game.

I can't really think of any living pack hunter that's known for their stealth. Birds are pretty much most closest evolutionary descendant of velociraptors, so I'd use an example of one of them but I can't think of any birds that hunt in err... flocks. So an example would be, hyenas. And I don't think velociraptors have even been proven to be pack hunters.

Dinosaur Chat

Besides they look cooler with feathers. :P

DoctorSlavic

Shotgun Doctor
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 23, 2011
    They look cooler with protofeathers.

Dinosaur Chat

(This is a dromaeosaurus from Primeval, btw)

And also, well it has not been proven, it is widely accepted that dromaeosaurs, AKA raptors, were pack hunters. And what about, uhhh, ants? No, umm, sharks? Hmmm, well there's... LIONS! THEY STEALTHILY HUNT IN PACKS! That is all.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I used to be obsessed with dinosaurs as a kid.
    This.

Question for everyone: Whats your favorite dinosaurs of the following catagories?
    Carnivore: Nanotyrannus lancensis, if it is indeed a seperate species from Tyrannosaurus rex. If not, there was a small insectivorous raptor from the Jurassic period, I think, that I took a liking to, but recalling the names of these things is not too easy.
    Flying: Does Archeopteryx count?
    Otherwise, I couldn't say, it's theropods and early birds that are where my interest lies.

So far as I know, no actual feather fossils have been found.
    I do agree with the position that they were feathered in some manner, though.

Raptors were definitely wolf-like pack hunters (only better),
    A couple groups of raptors who died in the same place. That often occurs during floods, right? Maybe they happened into groups and hunted at times, but I don't think they were strictly pack carnivores like wolves are, more like... foxes, to draw a relatively poor analogy, sorry.

Back