• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Discovery: Mithrial

Deathspector

I'm so hardcore, I'm "X"-rated
Years
  • Discovery
    Mithrial
    By Deathspector

Disclaimer: Okay, another attempted fan fiction by me. I have tried to make it as original as possible, but there are aspects which are difficult to overcome. But I am pleased at the way it has turned out. Perhaps it is not as good as I originaly wished, but it is not bad. I am trying something that I have only thought about before. I am writing it form three different points of view, and each of them have very different personalities. This has proved slightly difficult, due to the fact that I have to change my style of writing each time a new point of view begins. But it is giving me more experience in writing, and I enjoy that fact. Also, It is difficult not to make a single one of the the main character. Because of this, I know understand how difficult it was for Tolkien when he wrote his famous trilogy. Frodo? Bilbo? Aragorn?. Same way here. Oh, and the usual; I don't on Pokémon, but all original characters and plot ideas belong to me alone. Request permission if you wish to use either.

Table of Contents

Chapter One – Disturbances

Chapter One – Disturbances
    ~ Artemis Watson ~

The night was foreboding. There was something about the chilling breezes that swept through the tiny town of Azalea that sent goose bumps erupting all over one's body. And it had nothing to do with the temperature. Azalea was technically in the temperate zone, and should only get cold on a winter's night. It was, however, a summer's night, and despite the fact that the sun had set mere minutes ago, already the velvety curtain of night lay dark over the slumbering town. Frost coated the windows, as the inhabitants switched on their central heating (or in the case of the older house, started a fire) to ward off the cold. Yet they still felt chills running down their backs. The Slowpokes of Azalea were oblivious to the unnatural conditions, but could sense something was wrong. They howled into the night, singing hauntingly enchanting songs in their deep voices.

A few hours drive from Azalea was the largest forest in Johto. A sprawling mass of ancient trees, a sea of emerald green leaves, having been there since the days of the dinosaurs. Yet no matter what the humans did the forest re-grew within seconds. It was as if there was a more powerful force than the humans residing within the protection of the thick, dark branches of Ilex that prevented its destruction. Yet even now, that force seemed miniscule compared to the freezing winds that racked the southern half of Johto; more prominent near the coastline. The Joto Sea was a body of warm water that encompassed Johto for several hundred miles before meeting the freezing cold waters of the Alliance Ocean, named for the agreement that was formed between the Orange Archipelago, the country of Johto, and the country of Kanto in its central island, Pothocampus.

It shouldn't have been cold. Yet it was. Why?

Artemis Watson sat in her bedroom, growing increasingly worried by the second. She was a History student and had read many extracts from various diaries about odd weather conditions. They never ended well. She was sitting on her bed, her gentle back leaning against the backrest of her bed, and reading. Not just any book. Her History textbook. Perched on her straight, pointed nose, were her reading glasses that she was gazing through, her eyes racing down the page on the history of Azalea. She had already read quite a bit about the cities of Ecruteak and Mahogany. Both cities were well known for strange disturbances because of the proximity of Legendary Pokémon. The Ilex Forest was rumoured to house the theoretical Celebii, but it was not proven. Either there was no such Pokémon, or it was extremely good at hiding. But as she scanned the page on Azalea, it had turned out that there had never been any unusual climatic changes. There had been droughts, but that had long ago bee attributed to the Slowpoke. Unless it really had to do with something else.

Finishing the page, and deciding that there was no recorded history of odd happenings like this in Azalea, Artemis removed her glasses and placed them on her bedside table. The table was already cluttered with a number of other things, ranging from pens to her clock to a photograph of an old lady. This old lady may have looked ordinary to other people, but to Artemis, she was close to her heart. It was a picture of her great-grandmother, who had passed away months ago at the ripe old age of ninety-seven. She had taught Artemis a lot, and had been a historian herself; this had been the inspiration for Artemis to become so interested in history. Looking into those dark blue eyes that reflected her own, Artemis saw an endless pool of knowledge, swirling around despite the stillness of the picture. Whenever Artemis was feeling troubled, and couldn't find an answer, she would always look at her Grandma B's (the "B" meaning "Big") wrinkled old face, smiling with her crooked teeth, and feel calmed down. She attempted this now. It worked. As it did each time previously.

"Help me, Grandma B. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, know. I know it's not my responsibility to find out what's going on, but you know me. Once I start something, I need to finish," said Artemis softly to the frame.

As was expected, the picture did not reply, but Artemis could swear that the happy smile turned into one of understanding for a brief moment, before reverting to the original. Brushing a strand of her deep brown hair from her face, Artemis slipped out of her bed, and got into her fluffy bedroom slippers. Feeling nice and warm in the furry (fake, of course; Artemis detested using animal fur) slippers, Artemis took her heavy History textbook, and placed it on her study table. This table, contradictory to the state of her bedside table, was very clean and tidy. There was a pen, a pencil, an eraser, a ruler and a notepad all placed neatly at the back of the table, with a large, twisty lamp rearing over the wooden surface like a horse.

She then turned away from the table, and stretched luxuriously. She caught an image of herself in the mirror, and marvelled at how she had grown. Several years ago, before passing out of Middle School, she had been a scrawny, snotty-nosed kid, who was too smart for her own good. But ever since coming into High School, she had begun to worry about her appearance and reputation. Now, instead of having her long hair tied into two pigtails, or braided, she had let it loose, only pulling it back into a ponytail when she had to do sports, or keep her hair from her eyes. Her face was now blemish free, and smooth compared to the scabby visage that she used to look at ever since entering school. Her angular features were now more prominent, her skin darker. But the one thing that really bugged her was her lip. She just could not see why it was so thin and sceptical. Perhaps she had kept that feature since being a kid. Well, no one could be perfect.

But her clothing style had certainly improved. When she was still a kid she would have been wearing a frilly nightdress and sleeping. Now she donned a black tee shirt that stopped before her belly button, coupled with a loose and baggy pair of blue-striped pyjama bottoms. Okay, not exactly stylish, but definitely better than frills. She shuddered at the thought of her previously despicable dress-sense. She smooth out the crinkles of the front of her top, and cocked her head to the side, looking at herself again, thinking, What am I doing? I'm going to bed, who cares what I look like? Yet despite those thoughts, she made sure that she looked pretty before turning back to her bed. She was moments from slipping into her bed, when she saw a green twinkle outside, through the window. She paused.

There was something magnetising about the twinkle. Walking around her bed in a daze, she drew towards the window, and pressed her nose to the cold, frost-covered glass. As she breathed out, her warm breath misted up the window, but the twinkle remained as clear as ever. Blinking, Artemis tried to discern where the twinkle was coming from. It was coming from above Ilex Forest. Perhaps it was just a late-night plane coming to land in Azalea, or even passing over. Yet there was a magical feeling to the twinkle, and somehow, Artemis didn't think it was a plane. The wave of coldness only seemed to intensify over the town, as if trying to drive away the twinkle. But the green flicker remained resolute.

And then it came.

It came in a rush of mixed emotions for Artemis. As if to overcome the mournful song of the cold breeze, the twinkle seemed to be emitting its own song. A song that pierced right through Artemis's breast, and igniting feelings of bravery and courage in her heart. Her nose was pressed even harder on the glass. She found herself thinking, Come on you green twinkle, you. You can do it! Although she had no idea what it was attempting to do. Then she understood. The green thing wasn't trying to force the breeze away. It was calling to her! But why? What did she have that made her special? She then caught sight of her green brush out of the corner of her eyesight. Green! Wasn't the mythological Celebii supposed to be green? And wasn't it meant to be the guardian over Ilex Forest? So, evidently it was attempting to protect its forest. That still didn't explain why it was calling Artemis. But Artemis knew that now that she knew what she was to do, she couldn't just turn and pretend that nothing had happened. She had to do something.

Grabbing her key ring from her bedside table, she made her way to her cupboard with the intent of grabbing a coat. That's when common sense kicked in. It was the middle of the night. It was cold. She wasn't dressed for the occasion. Okay, she was going to get a coat, but even so. And then, if she disappeared, her parents would worry. And she couldn't protect herself. It wasn't like she was the strongest person she knew. But she had to do something. Oh, it was maddening! What to do? What not to do? Artemis clutched onto the door handle of her cupboard for support as all these thoughts swarmed around in her head, causing her to not only get even more confused than present, but also to become dizzy. She turned back to the window to see the little green dot valiantly facing the harsh winds and still calling to Artemis.

She threw open her cupboard, and pulled out her dark brown coat, a pair of sneakers and socks and something to tie her hair up. Then, while simultaneously trying to put her socks over her arms, and slipping her feet into her coat, she wrote a little message to her parents. They would understand. They had to. If not, Artemis couldn't even imagine the state of the little green dot. Well, that was because she had no idea in the first place, but that was not the point. Finally getting her clothes on in the right place, she quickly looked at herself in the mirror, before going through her note. It was shoddy work, but this was no time to worry about her English. It went something like this:

Mom and Dad,

I'm sorry for this, but I have left the house. I may be gone for a few hours, or a couple of days, I do not know. Please do not worry about me, and please do not send out search parties. I shall return home as soon as I can. This is for your good as much as it is for mine. And it has nothing to do with boys. I shall not say where I am going, otherwise it may tempt you to follow, and that would only be worse than if you left me alone.

I love you two more than anything else in the world.
    Hugs and kisses
    Artemis

She nodded, and slipped out of her room as silently as she could. She made her way to her parents' room. Knowing that she would wake them up if she opened the door, she stuck the note to the door with a bit of old BluTac that she had found in her room. Making sure that it was visible enough, she ran down the length of the corridor that separated her room from the main door. She opened the door, and immediately wished she hadn't. A blast of wintry air nearly knocked her over. She shivered in her coat, and prayed to the few Gods she knew. With that, she stepped out and closed the door. Without looking back, she made her way westwards, towards Ilex Forest.

But she wasn't going alone.

She needed to be protected when she walked through the forest. She knew the tales of terror that had emerged from the forest of people who had venture in without protection. Either that, or she would have to be able to protect herself. Her Pokémon would do fine. But she didn't have her Pokémon with her at home. Artemis kept her Pokémon with her grandfather, Kurt, who had a huge house; her Pokémon needed space, else they would get very claustrophobic. Especially her Charizard. Grinning at the thought of Charizard cramped up in her house brought a smile to Artemis's lips.

She raised her head as she neared Kurt's house. The looming structure towered above her, diminishing the fiery courage that had erupted in her heart at the sound of Celebii's song. Shivering again, Artemis made her way up to the gate of the mansion. It was tall, and made of black bars, designed specially so that so one could climb over it without special equipment. Typical. Artemis reached out to the side of the wall on the side of the gate, and rang the bell. Kurt would understand why she needed to go. After all, it was Kurt, himself who had told the world about Celebii. No one believed him though, thinking him to be a mad poké-ball maker. Poor guy.

Two guards opened the gates. Dressed in matching blue uniforms, they bowed before Artemis. They knew here well. She came to Kurt's house often enough. Artemis made her way across the garden pathway. She needn't have looked here or there, because even in the darkness, she knew exactly where everything was. Finally reaching the large oak door, Artemis raised her hand and knocked, ignoring the brass doorknocker. Her hand was good enough. A satisfying resonance reverberated through the large house. She then waited. And waited. Kurt had to come down all the way from the third floor.

Then, the door opened. But not by whom she had expected.

Author's Note: The ending came out wrong. I couldn't get inspired enough to write it the way I wanted to. Oh well. Oh, and this is my first story without a Prologue! Anyway, R and R most appreciated. In fact, if you have read this, it is compulsary.

DS

Years
  • Wow, this is really good. Besides some spelling mistakes I didn't see anything wrong. I can't wait for you to post the next chapter to the story. :D

Back