• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] 2012 Phenomena

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Well, the end will come, and it will come in it's rightful time. No man can predict the end times (Revelation 1) Of course, woman can

All the stuff happening, such as Global Warming, the hole in the Ozone layer, when you think about it, most of it is natural stuff, isn't it? Don't you think it could all be leading...... to the end times?
    Yes, the end times, will come when they need to, but of course this is not the end of the world anyway, but something might happen. LOL WOMAN CAN XD

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Ah yes, the 2012 thing. I was freaked out at first, but then at church they said it wasn't gonna happen because of several reasons. So I believe it won't happen. But... For those of you who dunno... You just have to find out and see.

Sonic65

welp
    Years
    The world will not end on December 21, 2012.

Especially not if you think that the Mayans, an ancient civilization, with their limited and archaic technology, managed to predict an event about 1200 years after their own collapse, and noted that event on their calendar to an exact month and day. If meteorologists can't even get their weather predictions 100% right in modern times then how would the Mayans get an exact data and time for the end of the entire Earth?

Years
    The world will not end on December 21, 2012.

Especially not if you think that the Mayans, an ancient civilization, with their limited and archaic technology, managed to predict an event about 1200 years after their own collapse, and noted that event on their calendar to an exact month and day. If meteorologists can't even get their weather predictions 100% right in modern times then how would the Mayans get an exact data and time for the end of the entire Earth?

modern meteorology is a joke compared to what the mayans were capable of doing. They figured out the dates of planetary events centuries ago with nothing more than stone tables and some wooden poles of various lengths. They were plenty capable. I agree that the wont end, but, then again, the mayans never said that either. The doomsday ending is a recent addition.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Ah yes, the 2012 thing. I was freaked out at first, but then at church they said it wasn't gonna happen because of several reasons. So I believe it won't happen. But... For those of you who dunno... You just have to find out and see.
    Not to go into the topic of religion, but in Revelation 1 it says we can't predict it, if you're going to go with the religious evidence. Yeah, I stopped worrying after I read that.
    The Mayan's pencil broke. that is the only explanation.

Years
    I have a thread on this! =D Yours is more scientificy and thought-through though. XD

I don't believe the whole 2012 thing, like I said in my thread. XD

Well mine was more scientificish and thought out before it got merged with the other two threads. :/

Not to go into the topic of religion, but in Revelation 1 it says we can't predict it, if you're going to go with the religious evidence. Yeah, I stopped worrying after I read that.
    The Mayan's pencil broke. that is the only explanation.

That's obviously nowhere near what happened. (unless you were being sarcastic, which i'm hoping is the case)

Last edited:

Sonic65

welp
    Years
    modern meteorology is a joke compared to what the mayans were capable of doing.
    ...uh. [citation needed]?

I mean, I'll give you that they were advanced for their time, but to say they could do better than modern-day meteorologists is a gross overstatement, especially when you account in the high measurement error which would occur when using crude methods like stone tables/wooden poles (seems small, but if you're looking at thousands of years later it suddenly gets much bigger). On the other hand, today we have satellites, computers, etc. that give a much smaller percentage error.

But hey, if anything does happen on Dec 21 then feel free to say "I told you so" =P

Years

I mean, I'll give you that they were advanced for their time, but to say they could do better than modern-day meteorologists is a gross overstatement, especially when you account in the high measurement error which would occur when using crude methods like stone tables/wooden poles (seems small, but if you're looking at thousands of years later it suddenly gets much bigger). On the other hand, today we have satellites, computers, etc. that give a much smaller percentage error.

But hey, if anything does happen on Dec 21 then feel free to say "I told you so" =P

Modern meteorologists can barely predict the weather, with all of our advanced technology at their disposal. NASA can barely get a shuttle launch off without a hitch anymore, and it takes them years to discover new planets and star systems. Plus, without those modern advancements, we'd be so outclassed its a bit embarrassing. Mayan astrologists/meteorologists, could identify celestial bodies and predict astrological events thousands of years in the future with nothing more than charts, their calander, and the crude wooden shafts with yarn attached, used to line up the stars in the sky. And they were accurate to the very day. For instance, they predicted the Solar transit of Venus to occur on June 6th, 2012 in our calendar. We didn't figure out that the transit of venus even existed until the 20th century.

Bear

Fascist baby.
    Years

^ This.

Modern meteorologists can barely predict the weather, with all of our advanced technology at their disposal. NASA can barely get a shuttle launch off without a hitch anymore, and it takes them years to discover new planets and star systems. Plus, without those modern advancements, we'd be so outclassed its a bit embarrassing. Mayan astrologists/meteorologists, could identify celestial bodies and predict astrological events thousands of years in the future with nothing more than charts, their calander, and the crude wooden shafts with yarn attached, used to line up the stars in the sky. And they were accurate to the very day.

Could they predict the weather perfectly? I mean I can understand how the Mayans could launch missiles into space flawlessly and discover new planets within minutes, but the weather? o_o

Srsly, this all sounds like myth rather than fact to me. Perhaps you could provide some solid motivation?

Last edited:
    Years
    ^ This.

Could they predict the weather perfectly? I mean I can understand how the Mayans could launch missiles into space flawlessly and discover new planets within minutes, but the weather? o_o

Srsly, this all sounds like myth rather than fact to me. Perhaps you could provide some solid motivation?

Solid motivation? Go read a history book about the Mayans.

You all assume that since they are an ancient civilization, they're incapable of all these supposedly advanced things. Mayans could literally look up in the night sky and discern planets and stars simply by their location in the sky. From the positioning of the stars, they could determine optimal planting times for their crops (judging the sun's position) and kept records of planetary movements to use for future reference. Like i said above, stars and planets, along with constellations, could be tracked and identified easily using the wooden sticks and yarn. They would measure from a finite point, so the only thing moving is the star in question. Then, on a nightly basis, they track the star's movement across the sky, and after a little math, they can tell where its going, because they understood the planets move in an orbit.

Now just because you're ill informed, doesn't make it a myth.

Years
    I don't mean it's the end, nor am I inclined to believe it's the end, nor do I particularly WANT to believe it's the end. I haven't read anything that has to do with 2012, nor do I intend to. I'm living my life as per normal, since there isn't anything I can do about it if it happens to be true.

Getting back on track, though, what I meant was that people are hyping this up to no end, just like they did during Y2K, and look how that turned out. Perhaps there wasn't anything scientific to prove that Y2K was going to happen, but people will believe what they want to believe, and that goes for everything. I'm sure there's tons of "evidence" that "proves" that 2010 is the Apocalypse, but there's probably also a lot of "evidence" that shows otherwise. Mind you, I'm not believing or disbelieving. I just don't really care, either way.

If we're not talking about end days, Apocalyptic, fire and brimstone stuff here, then I have even less incentive to give a crap.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I don't have any beliefs in the "2012 Phenomena", this subject popping up everywhere can get to the point where it can be annoying, however I manage to deal with it. I do not believe the world will end in 2012 on an exact day either, but I do believe it can end at anytime, any year, if it does I wouldn't be surprised since our planet and global warming is increasingly getting worse if people don't start to care, not saying you guys don't, but you know who I'm talking about. Making a big deal out of this subject is not worth anyone's time.

Years
    I don't have any beliefs in the "2012 Phenomena", this subject popping up everywhere can get to the point where it can be annoying, however I manage to deal with it. I do not believe the world will end in 2012 on an exact day either, but I do believe it can end at anytime, any year, if it does I wouldn't be surprised since our planet and global warming is increasingly getting worse if people don't start to care, not saying you guys don't, but you know who I'm talking about. Making a big deal out of this subject is not worth anyone's time.

Well there is a difference here- This thread is supposed to be focusing on the historical/astrological aspect of the 2012 phenomena, not the end of the world crap. (that was another thread that was merged with mine, and ever since the quality of the discussions has pretty much gone down hill)

2012 has nothing to do with the apocalypse, at all. That's a modern invention. But there is infallible historical fact behind the mechanics of 2012- the mayan long count calendar, the planetary alignment, etc. this thread was made to talk about that stuff.

girliehhhhhh

safhsdjklhfsdjk;
    Years
    with all due respect, i think that the predictions are merely hunches and guesses that people have made. honestly, i don't think the world will end while we are still alive and well. i am one of the sceptics who does not believe nostradamous. i think that the world will end in a few million years when the sun expands into a red giant the size of beteljuce.

Back