• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Discussion on why X and Y were made more casual

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    So its quite obvious that X and Y are the most casual of all the Pokemon games to date. With the exp share making it almost unnecessary to train, gym leaders who are push overs, and op Pokemon such as Lapras who are handed to you at the level most teams are at.
    So why do you think they decided to make this game so casual? Is it a sales tactic? Maybe the easier the game is the more people will play it? Is it a scaling issue? Meaning they did not compensate enough for the power of the new Exp. Share.

I find it strange considering with every new generation the community gets more competitive with online battles and challenges you would think Gamefreak would make a game that was a little more challenging for its players.
    Yet X and Y seems to be less focused on battling and training and more focused on well... fashion lol.
    Don't get me wrong i love the all the customizations and such, but those aren't what keeps me coming back. Its battling, training and catching Pokemon.

What do you guys think?

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2014
    I dont find this game any easier then b/w but they were not hard either. They took out all the guess work from ev training and made everything faster. For that i'm greatful.
    Also in what way is lapras op? Fashion is always a sales tactic :P

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    I dont find this game any easier then b/w but they were not hard either. They took out all the guess work from ev training and made everything faster. For that i'm greatful.
    Also in what way is lapras op? Fashion is always a sales tactic :P

I was mainly talking about the main storyline, from beginning until you beat the E4. I totally agree that making EV training easier will make it more fun and now i want to make tons of different types of teams. Black and White were not very difficult either but X and Y was the only Pokemon game i have ever played were i had a team of 6 that completely out leveled the E4 and almost the champion. In Band W i was about 2-3 levels behind at all times even more for the champion. Gen 4 wasn't too difficult either. Gen 3 was hard and so was Gen 1, Gen 2 was the hardest.

Lapras is very powerful, you get her at level 30 just as you get surf and she learns ice beam at level 31 or 32 something like that, so you get two 90 base special moves right off the start. On top of that Lapras is tanky and has good SPATK. Also you get a starter from Gen 1 which are good. You also get Lucario who can sweep a team like it was nothing (his mega form gives bonus damage to fighting moves and Close Combat) They basically hold you hand through the whole game and just give you everything.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Game was super easy.

But the point being that Game Freak is targeting this one more at kids, since Black and White (and their sequels) were harder to pick up for kids new to the series. This is shown in X and Y by super training to get better pokemon for less work, the inclusion of all generations so that kids learn more about the history about the series, the inclusion of Mewtwo - one of, if not the most iconic legendary of the series. Also O-Powers and the friend safari all encouraging interaction with friends rather than kids sitting inside all day playing (though this system is thwarted by adults). The game's overall easy feel is to not discourage kids from playing all the way through.

Plain and simple, this is a game targeted heavily at the kids for once. Game Freak noticed all the 25 year old neckbeards complaining about Garbodor and other things but they also noticed that the targeted audience found the game good. They took this knowledge to please the targeted audience even further with X and Y. This generation will draw in so many new Pokemon fans, and they will remain Pokemon fans for years. I didn't like the game personally because it felt easy, but this is coming from an 18 year old's point of view. The inclusion of Fairy and the nerfing of Steel, Fire Blast/Thunder/Blizzard/Hydro Pump and the shortening of weather effects were the bones they threw to the older audience that plays competitively. That's about it.

also inb4 bad grammar because it is like 2 AM.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    don't forget the speed boost torchic, every other player is using it...
    its just a pandering tactic to appeal to a new audience really. And obviously they will only put everything like challenge mode into their third Z version eventually

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    don't forget the speed boost torchic, every other player is using it...
    its just a pandering tactic to appeal to a new audience really. And obviously they will only put everything like challenge mode into their third Z version eventually

Yeah i totally forgot about that. so many people in the online use those speed boost broken Blaziken's and think they are good.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Yeah i totally forgot about that. so many people in the online use those speed boost broken Blaziken's and think they are good.

I love the "and think they are good" line. I don't use Blaziken, but when Salamence with Moxie came out I got that one all the time. If it beats you, it's better than you. Stop trying to make others feel bad for using something when you weren't prepared for it. And if you beat it, whoopty-doo. No need to be a sore winner.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Well you could turn the xp share. And didn't they have something like that gen 1? I heard something like that. Don't remember myself. And maybe I suck, but gym leaders destroy most of my team, even though I have advantage, and the xp share I still need to train / under leveled. Its like i'm playing something different than the rest of you.

Years
    to be honest?
    i think it's because of all of the new features they added.
    like pokemon amie
    and super training
    and friend safari
    and character customization
    and battle sequences
    and trainer videos
    and 3D modeling
    and an entire new pokemon type
    and a new generation of pokemon
    and mega evolutions

the usual gameplay probably fell through the cracks a little because they were trying to put so much into the game. :x

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    I actually like what they did to Exp Share. I think the reason GF made it so easy for pokemon to level up is to break that 6 pokemon limitation which has hindered the series for so many years. In previous pokemon game you usually had to stay with a 6 pokemon team or else you would have to go grind exp for hours just so the new under level pokemon is viable or use exp share and slow down you main pokemon level up proccess, this made it really unappealing to pick up under leveled pokemon. In pokemon X & Y you can constantly switch pokemon and you don't feel like you get punished for using new pokemon. I do understand that not every player likes to use more than the pokemon they choosed for their team but for people like me that do want to use a wide variety of pokemon in our journey we have that choice, for those that don't want to play that way you can always turn Exp Share off.

Regarding the Gym leaders, I kinda agree. The Gym leaders have been very weak till this point for me. Still I never had difficulty with Gym leaders in the past so is no big deal for me. If I'm looking for real difficulty I usually look for it online.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    I love the "and think they are good" line. I don't use Blaziken, but when Salamence with Moxie came out I got that one all the time. If it beats you, it's better than you. Stop trying to make others feel bad for using something when you weren't prepared for it. And if you beat it, whoopty-doo. No need to be a sore winner.

Its like going into battle using a legendary against someone who is using a legal Pokemon just because you are desperate for a win.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    Yeha; It is easy indeed; I expected the Elite 4s and Champion's Pokemons to at least increase by 20 levels the next time we visit, but Arceus no, they decided they don't want to train more.

On the other hand, I agree. People are all using the free Torchic, or worse, the legendaries - And they think they can pwn people using legendaries in the random challenge.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    Yeha; It is easy indeed; I expected the Elite 4s and Champion's Pokemons to at least increase by 20 levels the next time we visit, but Arceus no, they decided they don't want to train more.

On the other hand, I agree. People are all using the free Torchic, or worse, the legendaries - And they think they can pwn people using legendaries in the random challenge.

Exactly, it wont be long until random battle is littered with people like that and we will have to go back to finding people here and setting up battles

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Its like going into battle using a legendary against someone who is using a legal Pokemon just because you are desperate for a win.

And any given OU team can't take down 1 or 2 ubers on a team because...?

If I'm using an OU legal team and I see a kid using something like Veil Garchomp or Excadrill or Swift Swim + Drizzle I don't go "omg hax noob noob noob scrub i didnt lose i won cause he scrub" because I know the risk I'm taking. There is no tier restriction, so you should know the risk you are taking. A player taking advantage and using the full arsenal of pokemon available to him or her is not them being a noob. I don't use them, but I don't try and make others feel bad for it.

I have been playing competitively since 07 and I'm probably the only one okay with seeing them in random battle. If you cannot take down a legendary, that is the fault of your team. If you choose to restrict yourself on the pokemon you're allowed to play, that's on you. You don't wanna deal with it? Play somewhere like Pokemon Online or Showdown where they have tier restrictions. Accept that it is a constant part of the game and you won't be bothered by such a trivial issue. Learn to beat the legendaries, so it's one more bragging point for your team because it makes you look like a scrub when all you do is sit and complain about it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2014
    Wait, Lapras is op? o,O

But yeah, The gym leaders feel really weak. However, I understand the early exp all, because we have over 600 pokemon to train now. It would be ridiculous to train two at a time with the Exp Share. Imagine! x,x;;;

But yeah, gyms are pretty lame, and im only on my second. I think its because there are so many other things they want you to enjoy.

My only question is if the Exp All applies EV's.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    And any given OU team can't take down 1 or 2 ubers on a team because...?

If I'm using an OU legal team and I see a kid using something like Veil Garchomp or Excadrill or Swift Swim + Drizzle I don't go "omg hax noob noob noob scrub i didnt lose i won cause he scrub" because I know the risk I'm taking. There is no tier restriction, so you should know the risk you are taking. A player taking advantage and using the full arsenal of pokemon available to him or her is not them being a noob. I don't use them, but I don't try and make others feel bad for it.

I have been playing competitively since 07 and I'm probably the only one okay with seeing them in random battle. If you cannot take down a legendary, that is the fault of your team. If you choose to restrict yourself on the pokemon you're allowed to play, that's on you. You don't wanna deal with it? Play somewhere like Pokemon Online or Showdown where they have tier restrictions. Accept that it is a constant part of the game and you won't be bothered by such a trivial issue. Learn to beat the legendaries, so it's one more bragging point for your team because it makes you look like a scrub when all you do is sit and complain about it.

Well im gonna assume you made an account on here just to troll and be an douchee. I was being sarcastic making a small remark and your taking it way to serious lol.

Wait, Lapras is op? o,O

But yeah, The gym leaders feel really weak. However, I understand the early exp all, because we have over 600 pokemon to train now. It would be ridiculous to train two at a time with the Exp Share. Imagine! x,x;;;

But yeah, gyms are pretty lame, and im only on my second. I think its because there are so many other things they want you to enjoy.

My only question is if the Exp All applies EV's.

I understand why they give it to you but i just think it should be a reward for beating the game or something.

Last edited:

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I think Z/3rd will be just like Platinum. Just like X and Y, Diamond and Pearl were the 1st games on the new consoles. There was a big graphical overhaul, as well as many changes under the hood. Many people criticized DP, as being 'the worst Pokemon games.' Then Platinum came along, and improved and solidified the Sinnoh saga. Z could be just like that, now that the fundamentals are laid down, they can focus on the complaints and suggestions of the community.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Well im gonna assume you made an account on here just to troll and be an douchee. I was being sarcastic making a small remake and your taking it way to serious lol.

I made an account because I've already finished the team I was working on and have nothing else to do with the game besides battle and talk about it. I'm not even trolling. You just whine a lot about minuscule "issues" and it reminds me of a 12 year old who just found out what tiers were

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    I think Z/3rd will be just like Platinum. Just like X and Y, Diamond and Pearl were the 1st games on the new consoles. There was a big graphical overhaul, as well as many changes under the hood. Many people criticized DP, as being 'the worst Pokemon games.' Then Platinum came along, and improved and solidified the Sinnoh saga. Z could be just like that, now that the fundamentals are laid down, they can focus on the complaints and suggestions of the community.

I have a feeling that they will be releasing some dlc for it.

The Leafeon

Grassburn and Leafstorm!!!
    Years
    I thought it was quite easy aswell, but for the most part I don't think its too casual as you can turn EXP. Share off and EV train the old fashion way. I will agree though that the AI levelling was totally underwhelming as any pokemon could be used as party leader.

All these changes though, with the super training and all were to make it more accessible to EVERYBODY to have battle-worthy pokemon to go online and experience it, instead of a very small minority

So maybe this could be a hint that they coud be focusing more on online in the future instead of the single player

Back