• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Dislikes in ORAS?

Years
  • Just as the title of the thread says: what were some of the things you disliked when playing through Omega Ruby and/or Alpha Sapphire? Even if it's a small thing, or an overall large thing, there has to be one thing that could have been better in these games. :P

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Just one, and that's the type diversity, which ruined the whole gaming experience for me. I thought we were going to have an expanded Hoenn dex that wasn't just cross gen evolutions when they revealed Mega Evolutions to Pokemon who weren't present in the original Hoenn dex. But no, it's just the original Hoenn dex plus the cross gen evos, and despite getting your national dex after facing Kyogre/Groudon and encountering trainers from Victory Road using non-Hoenn native Pokemon, the Elite Four were still restricted to using Hoenn natives on your first encounter, thus having Pheobe, Glacia, and Drake using 2-3 Pokemon from the same family line on their respective teams. This has been the biggest problem in the older games, and they still didn't fix them when they remade them.

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
    Years
  • The worst problem is there isn't many of the second gen pokemon available in the game to catch (unless i'm really missing them). They were my favourite gen.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Small things things were handing us the Lati@s and getting rid of some Emerald-specific aspects, such as the Battle Frontier and the big fight in Sootopolis that we had to go stop by finding Rayquaza. That was really epic and I loved that part of Emerald.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    • Lati@s is given to us at a very early stage.
    • Lati@s isn't flying around for us to hunt.
    • Hoenn Dex has a few fire-types.
    • No challenge mode.
    • Gym Leaders cannot be battled again.
    • Battle Maison again?!
    • Unable to battle May/Brendan and Wally once each day.
    • Berry Blending is ruined... :(
    • No online PokéContest feature.
    • ...What is Looker doing here?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Other than the lack of Brendan/May and Gym Leader rematches, I hated how Prof. Cozmo and Capt. Stern had recolored models of the Scientist and Gentleman trainer classes respectively. The developers could have used their anime designs.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Even though I got a shiny Pokémon thanks to DexNav, I'm still not fond of it because of its tendency to alert me of any Pokémon every time I want to go through several routes. It's kinda annoying, for sure, and I think I should use it only when I wanted to.

SiriusAlpha

One and only
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    They needed to update the ORAS pokedex instead of adding 7 and only because they were evolutions. Also, the lack of trainer customization. Seriously? Introducing an awesome feature just to get rid of it?

Years
  • They needed to update the ORAS pokedex instead of adding 7 and only because they were evolutions. Also, the lack of trainer customization. Seriously? Introducing an awesome feature just to get rid of it?

Well, they really wanted to take the nostalgia here literally by mainly sticking to the original Hoenn Dex (and as a result, most of the Gym Leader/Elite Four teams retained the same Pokemon), and as for trainer customization it was revealed that the feature was mainly to showcase the "beauty" theme of the Kalos region so that's why it was an XY exclusive feature.

Anyways, I'm with Pinkie in regards to my own cons and that's the bad type distribution in the Hoenn Dex. Especially when you remember this is causing many of the Elite Four to repeat evolution families in their teams solely due to a significant lacking of Pokemon of said type.

I also didn't like how two of the Mega Stones require you to actively do Contests and Secret Bases just to obtain them. Not everyone is very good at that feature as far as I know.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Just gonna echo what everyone else said in general. Lack of certain features etc. HG/SS definitely set our standards too high tbh.

But one thing that annoyed me in general was that the maps were bigger but they weren't really filled with anything. They were just big open spaces and it kinda got on my nerves that they didn't just add a few more details to make big spaces more aesthetically pleasing.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I don't know, Hoenn was my favorite generation until Kalos and then when we got the remakes, my like for Hoenn dropped to 3rd and possibly even 4th. The game felt empty. Very empty and I would rather play XY still instead of OR.

I hated that it wasn't Emerald similar to how HGSS had with Crystal. I hated that we were only fighting 1 team. I hated they they took out the battle between Rayquaza, Groudon, and Kyogre. And it really added nothing at all. Even FireRed and LeafGreen had a new set of islands.

I didn't mind the pokedex too much as I knew that was how it would be. But they added nothing to help catch other pokemon. It was just really disappointing.

I will say that I loved playing through it, but I still wish it had been more like Emerald.

Another thing I hate about ORAS, it is extremely slow and somewhat annoying to make money. In XY and BW/2 they were all easy to keep up with money. So it made catching pokemon extremely annoying.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    I thought they should have used Emerald for the basis of some things, like Gym leaders. The Gym leaders in Emerald had much better coverage/more deep teams than in ORAS.
    Sad to see trainer customization go.

I was happy with these remakes, though.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • They should have added more stuff, the game lasted many hours in the past due to the very slow engine it used, but with the engine the 3DS uses the game length was basically cut in half. I finished the game in less than 20 hours!

Buu

Rocket Executive
    Years
  • Probably an unpopular opinion but I'll say it anyway there really are to many water type Pokemon and this is proven by my Level 100 Luxray

I love water Pokemon and Hoenn just as much but come on

Years
  • I guess I'll go ahead and give my thoughts!

• Less levels at the Trick House
    • Lack of a Battle Frontier
    • No way to re-challenge Brendan/May
    • You have to go through the Battle Maison in order to re-challenge Wally

There are probably more I could list, but those are just some of my personal gripes.

Years
  • One thing I find worth mention is that a lot of the battle backgrounds were recycled, like that one with the black above a tan-ish floor, or sometimes gray - that one got old fast, as it was used in areas like the Gym trainers, the Magma/Aqua hideout, Trick House, etcetera and it was stale. Furthermore, why does Ever Grande City have those buildings in its background when there are only two?!

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    - Unnecessary forcing of Mega Evolutions, made it feel like it was catering to younger fans rather than those who were fans at Gen 3
    - Giving Latias/Latios away early. Once again, unnecessary fan catering
    - The Delta Episode felt undercooked
    - Making Deoxys non-legendary looks like the start of a habit of making event-exclusive pokémon easier to obtain. While not a bad thing for most surface players, I fear that this could de-value a bunch of ultra-rare pokémon
    - The game engine being the same as X/Y, leading to...
    - Inconsistent frame rate
    - 3D only available in battles and rarely in the over world
    - The graphics outside of battle generally looking like shit, even on the weak 3DS hardware
    - No trainer customization (not even skin tone choice!)
    - No Battle Frontier
    - No Friend Safari
    - Battle Maision was a copy and paste of the one in X/Y
    - Contests were a copy and paste of the original with no online play
    - No Gym Leader re-matches
    - Spotty compatibility with X/Y
    - The game overall felt rushed and seemed to be a victim of Nintendo's annualisation of the series
    - The fact that a unnecessary Emerald remake might actually be a thing
    - Mega Rayquaza being fucking stupid

...And yet somehow it's probably my favourite in the series, if not for the fact that the base R/S/E games were excellent. I think that this game should've come out this year rather than last year, Nintendo annualising pokémon can only mean bad things and sequelitis eventually setting in.

Years
  • I really wish we were able to re-battle Gym Leaders, like in Emerald. I would love to be able to do that. I also wish the Battle Frontier was present, as well as some Gym Leaders teams being better. (I'm looking at you Tate and Liza)

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I thought they should have used Emerald for the basis of some things, like Gym leaders. The Gym leaders in Emerald had much better coverage/more deep teams than in ORAS.

as well as some Gym Leaders teams being better. (I'm looking at you Tate and Liza)

I completely agree. I felt the Gym Leaders' teams were for the most point quite disappointing. I think most Leaders had better teams in Emerald than they did in RS so it was a shame to see them using very basic teams in ORAS - there were definitely a lot of missed opportunities, for example Tate and Liza's dull team, Wattson not using Manectric, etc.

Years
  • I don't like how they changed Mauville City into a shopping Precinct! (Shopping Mall to Americans)

It's more complicated and easier to get lost than it used to be in the original GBA games...

Back