• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Dislikes in ORAS?

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    I don't really like the fact that you need X/Y/AS/OR to complete the national dex, Zigzagoon and Magicarp are way too common (seriously, you run into them almost instantly in some parts, seriously, the fishermans and some trainers have some of the easiest pokemon to defeat and it's those two), difficulty is somewhat low (you can easely gain lvl 75 before the Elito 4 for your whole team). Aside from that, I don't have any other dislikes.

LucarioFan3

Needs A New Username lol
    Years
  • I'll just list the major problems.
    - Latios/ Latias getting handed to us.
    - Delta episode being mostly walls of text.
    - Water types everywhere.
    - Aside from the cross gen evolutions, no Pokémon are added to the Hoenn dex.
    - No Gym Leader/ Rival rematches.
    - And the biggest issue, lackluster Gym Leader teams.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well, they really wanted to take the nostalgia here literally by mainly sticking to the original Hoenn Dex (and as a result, most of the Gym Leader/Elite Four teams retained the same Pokemon), and as for trainer customization it was revealed that the feature was mainly to showcase the "beauty" theme of the Kalos region so that's why it was an XY exclusive feature.
    That doesn't make it a good excuse though! I mean, look at HGSS. They did the opposite to FRLG with the nostalgia factor, which the latter did by not even allowing newer evolutions to happen until postgame (including Golbat --> Crobat), a decision that is not well supported by the fandom. HGSS kept the same general spread of Pokemon obtainable in routes ala GSC, but they didn't stop people from say getting Tangrowth, and greatly expanded the number of Pokemon obtainable before the E4 through both the PokeWalker and Safari zone. And this I feel worked very well - for anyone who wanted to stick to the old pokes, they could very easily ignore the Safari Zone and Pokewalker Pokemon! If they didn't want a Tangrowth for whatever reason, just not let it evolve! And for those who wanted or enjoyed more options, it's all there.

ORAS did not do this until after the 8th gym, which is a bit late imo. The same goes for the lack of trainer customisation. 'Nostalgia' is a bad argument, because if people wanted to keep playing as May/Brendan, they could have those be the default models, and they can just ignore the stores selling clothes! For everyone else, there'd be the option.
    I don't really like the fact that you need X/Y/AS/OR to complete the national dex
    That's always been a feature of Pokemon however, and encourages the buying of games and moreso the trading of Pokemon aspect Pokemon has been built upon.

Stuff I didn't like...
    - still didn't like the rivals! Wally was better I suppose, but Brendan/May and that forced shipping by the game during the Delta episode... no thanks. I'd have rathered they had a personality that defined their character.
    - no berry mixing game wah
    - Trick house why are you so much more boring and lesser in the quantity of challenges
    - Battle Frontierrrrr
    - 3 pokemon limit in secret bases
    - those rock smash obstacles north of (New) Mauville still
    - removing the 'explore to find Steven' part of Granite Cave.
    - Forced teleportation by Wally after 5th Gym battle

I'm sure there's more, but that'll do for now. =p

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Even though I really like ORAS, there are some things in my opinion that could have been more like the originals (and considering the broad audience Pokemon has; focus maybe more on the older players... I know this is meant to be a kids game, but there are also a lot of players out there who have been there since the beginning; like me):

- First things first; I know catching Feebas in the originals was a pain, BUT I really liked this at the same time. Even though I only managed to catch it in Emerald (and oh I was really happy I accomplished this), I think they should have added this again in ORAS. Now, it just makes catching/ owning a Feebas/Milotic less special somehow...
    - When using Dive searching for Pokemon underwater; I never got why you could ONLY catch Relicanth, Chinchou and Clamperl under the sea... Sure, they are probably meant to be "deap sea fish" but come on, there are so many water type Pokemon out there, I think they should have spread more wild water Pokemon in the seaweed... Would have been more challenging to look for specific Pokemon underwater...
    - I can't catch Aron as early in-game as I would have wanted, like in the originals: you could catch an aron as soon as you reached Dewford, but now you HAVE to beat the second gym first and handle things with Steven etc.
    - I'm kinda annoyed by May/Brendan in-game; the forced "transportations" to other cities throughout the story; I'm always in the middle of something when this option occures, so I will decide myself whether I want to go to Mauville for example or not.
    - Also, the fact why you can't re-battle Gymleaders (that was really awesome in Emerald).
    - What happened to Berry-blending? It now feels like the contests are "just there", no online-features included and you can't blend berries; this all makes it less appealing to me and not as interesting as it could have been.
    - I kinda miss a "Challenge Mode", for the "Pokemon veterans" out there. Yes this is a remake of R/S and what-not, but they could have done so many things to make ORAS at least more challenging imo.
    - WHY is there only a Battle Maison? Why no Battle Tower, Battle Chateau like XY and stuff, that would have made the "loss of the BF" a bit more justified (even though I know they wanted to just remake R/S).
    - I kinda miss the Friend Safari...
    - I would have liked to see how maybe different lay-outs of Secret Bases were "invented" or the possibility that you could somehow decide what lay-out you want for your base. The 3 Pokemon limit is kind of a disappointment, even though I really love the Secret Base thingy.
    - Last but not least; I KNOW this is meant to be a R/S remake, but please, there are 719 Pokemon out there; make use of this... The Dex could have been larger, with more Pokemon species being present throughout the Hoenn region... Maybe the Gym Leader teams and E4 teams would have been more challenging and surprising this way as well...

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    -Hoenn Dex should've been expanded
    -why is there no Gym Leader rematches
    -GAME FREAK Y NO TRAINER CUSTOMIZATION? You gave such bullshit reasons for not including it.....
    -New Mauville (I mean the thing you have to surf out to, not the new design of the main city) was disappointing
    -the Mirage Islands have some useful TMs, like Substitute and Flash Cannon

Those are a few things I can think of. But am I the only one who was glad that the berry blending thing was removed and doesn't care much for the Battle Frontier (and is fine with the Maison being reused)?

Years
  • I could get nit-picky and note some minor tweeks that I personally would make to improve the overall ORAS for myself. But instead, I'll focus on what I feel the biggest issue with ORAS is. Many members have already discussed it.

Pokemon diversity.

Plain and simple. I respect the developers for wanting to stay true to the original Ruby/Sapphire (ORAS is a remake, after all); however, it's not acceptable (in my opinion) to hype new mega evolutions of pokemon that are not readily available to capture until the game is basically over. There should have been more options from the very start of the game.

Years
  • The Battle Frontier was sorely, sorely missed, and I felt the way the game went, a better use of the gym leader rematch feature would have gone a long way in improving ratings. However, all in all, other improved areas made up for it, more or less.

Years
  • The difficulty factor for one. The games felt way too easy for me...I'm not sure if it is because I've gotten older and better or if the games really have eased up.

This is true. Changing the battle style so that you're not made aware of your opponent's next pokemon (while also granting you an opportunity to switch your own pokemon without burning a turn) makes any Pokemon game considerably more challenging, but I still felt like ORAS was easier than it should have been.

I recently played the GBA version of Ruby/Sapphire, and I found the battles more difficult. Maybe it's just the way the cards fall. There are a lot of variables that can affect the difficulty of a playthrough.

Years
  • dislike the lack of trainer customization we got in Y kinda sucks being reverted back to pre determined avatar

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    The dumbing down of Gym Leaders. Why was this done? To make it easier for kids? I was a kid when Red & Blue came out and I loved the challenge. I was also still quite young when Ruby & Sapphire came out and I didn't need my hand held through that game either. It made me better, losing to gym leaders and such and having to come at them again and again. Also not having the Battle Frontier. If ORAS had a bit more end-game I would've put Omega Ruby in my top 3 Pokemon games. Delta episode was too short so having the Battle Frontier would've made it perfect for me.

Back