• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dismal Story: Nintendo DS Lite Model To Be Discontinued

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • According to Kotaku, the Nintendo DS Lite will soon be a thing of the past. In Gamestop stores, at least. :(

Dismal Story: Nintendo DS Lite Model To Be Discontinued

Source: Kotaku; Say Goodbye To The Nintendo DS Lite

So, do any of you reading have opinions on the matter? Are you glad to see the DS Lite go, or are you reluctant to bid it farewell just yet?

Personally, I am quite dismayed by this. As most of you may know, I've been stuck in Generation 3 throughout the entirety of Generation 4. >.< I managed to get Platinum and HeartGold last Christmas; however, I do not have a platform to play them on just yet. Regarding handhelds, I had anticipated getting a Nintendo 3DS first and foremost, while purchasing a DS Lite when the price became really cheap or something.

But these tidings look like they're about to completely screw with my plans. Now, it seems I'll soon have to choose between holding off on the Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader DVD or risking being unable to obtain a DS Lite model (due to certain factors). I'm inclined to see how soon I can get a DS Lite, so that I don't face a scenario similar to the discontinuation of Metroid Prime Trilogy. :( I mean, I can't let all of my Pokemon GBA games just go to waste, and I'll need a second DS unit for PokeShifting Pokemon from Generation 4 to Gray Version when the time comes. >_> Not to mention that my GBASP is faltering a bit with charging and playtimes, with a noticeable reduction compared to its status years before.

And this is likely going to push off how soon I'll be able to obtain a 3DS for a bit... At least I'll have Pt and HG to tide me over. I'd rather that the DSi and DSiXL get phased out first as opposed to the DS Lite, since the 3DS is basically a souped-up enhancement of those. DS Lite, however, has the nifty GBA slot to differentiate it.

So yeah...if this is true for all Nintendo-hardware-selling stores, my current goal concerning videogaming is to snag a DS Lite from the shelves ASAP. Woe is me if I get stuck with a pink DS Lite or something... Darn it; if only I had entered that dentist postcard contest for a black DS Lite...

Tl;dr - what are your opinions of the Nintendo DS Lite model becoming discontinued at retail?

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    It makes me sad. Hah, It's not a big surprise to me, but I've had one for so long that it feels almost emotional. And it's a shame that we're officially losing the last shred of support for GBA games. GBA Pokemon, Megaman, Boktai, Mario and Luigi, Yoshi's Island, LoZ Minish Cap, etc. etc. Memories, I tell ya.

Now, we can only hope that the 3DS shops get GBA games. That, or download more emulators.

Years
  • It certainly will be sad. I still have my SP and lite, so I can still play my GBA games. But it is a shame, however, I could see this coming. I think everyone could.​

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Oh no, we lose those horrible shoulder buttons. Whatever will we do?

I don't mind this at all, I'm perfectly happy with my DSi. Even if, for some godforsaken reason, I wanted to play GBA games, I'd just get an SP.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2021
    It's a good thing i got a Ds lite in August 2010 and change the skin to Dialga and Palkia edition. DS lite is only my favorite DS and will still keep it. I never wanted a DSi anyway because of several reasons and mostly on Slot-2 removal. I never cared if DSi has a enhanced programs and extra rams, I still play these games (such as Black and White) on DS lite on the original mode. They should still sell it, some people doesn't want to get pictures on their DSi or update it to block flashcards, even the ones who uses it legitimately.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Uhhh I kinda expected it, lol. DSi kinda replaced it and now there's th 3DS. However, neither of those can play GBA. So in a sense, this is more of a final goodbye for the GBA titles, because the DS is still living on with the DSi and the backwards compatibility of the 3DS.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I'm surprised it hasn't gone so early seeing as the DSi is being discontinued in Japan. Hopefully this will boost the sales of Nintendo's newer consoles, as they have been ignored by the DS lite.

Maraala

a fiery passion
    Years
  • This makes me sad, even though I was expecting this. I loved the DS Lite more then the DSi, just for the same reasons stated above with the GBA game slot removed. Even though I do have an SP and the Gamecube Game Boy Player, I still like using the DS Lite to play GBA games mostly because the DS is bigger than the SP and fits more comfortably in my hands, and the portability that the Game Boy Player doesn't have. It's a shame to see one of my favorite systems die off.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • I still have my good old reliable 2004 DS model which outlived my DSi, so I'm covered. Also overheard that Gamestop will no longer buy Gameboy Advanced games, so if you're wanting to browse the used game shelf for generation 3 games, better do so fast!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Ever since the 3DS was announced it was essentially the the announcement that the DS Lite's (and sooner or latter the DSi's) time would be up soon. Same happened with every other set of consoles sooner or latter really. Personally I do not mind much, given the issues with the DS Lite hinges for me (yet it still survives, so that's something).

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    This is certainly sad. The DS Lite made the DS more popular, and many great games came out during that era. It is sad to see it go, but like other things, it will soon become outdated. I traded in my DS Lite for money towards a 3DS, so I'm not able to play GBA games anymore, but hopefully in the future, we will be able to play digital copies of the same games we know and love.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Eh Im fine. Honestly I never owned so-good gba games, just pokemon which I hardly play on a system. Im fine with emulaters.
    But since my ds and ds lite broke. I might go get one, or not. I do have the dsi/xl/and now the 3ds. but oh well.

See ya dslite!

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • I'll be honest. I don't really care that the DS Lite is going. Darn thing's given me so many problems (both with technical and physical stuff) I'll be glad to see it go. Sheesh, I've had like 8 of them and they all broke the same way: running out of power about a year and a half after I got them. And I charged them and everything! >_> I never really liked GBA games anyway.

Good ridance, you piece of junk!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • We all knew this day was coming. Doesn't make it any better that we're losing a fairly inexpensive platform and the last bit of GBA-game support..

DS Lite may be gone, but not forgotten. And hopefully they'll still sell refurbished units at GameStop.

Back