• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ditto is a failed Mew?

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
  • Well Arceus, Mew, and Celebi (still not sure about this one) are the only Pokemon that I can come up with that can learn any HM or TM. But I was completely oblivious to the fact that Transform is not a TM or HM haha.

Actually, only Mew is capable of using any TM or HM. No other Pokémon has that capability (unless you want to count Smeargle, which can use Sketch to copy and learn any move other than Chatter).

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
  • I could of swore Arceus was the same until I just checked and only a few TM's were missing >.<

Say if Ditto is a failed attempt as a Mew (which I'm 99.99999% positive it's true) then why only the move Transform? I mean, that right there gives the answer away imo. Mew can learn Transform but has DNA regardless, does Ditto get the DNA during the transformation or does it already have the DNA giving it the ability to transform?

Nordk

Chief Harpoonist
    Years
  • Perhaps Ditto, like Mew, contains the DNA of all Pokemon, but it is unstable as the result of a failed cloning process, and can only stabilize it when in battle. (Adrenaline kicks in when it is sent into battle and gives it the energy needed to hold a stable genome together or something like that.)

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
    Years
  • I could of swore Arceus was the same until I just checked and only a few TM's were missing >.<

Say if Ditto is a failed attempt as a Mew (which I'm 99.99999% positive it's true) then why only the move Transform? I mean, that right there gives the answer away imo. Mew can learn Transform but has DNA regardless, does Ditto get the DNA during the transformation or does it already have the DNA giving it the ability to transform?

I think the reason Ditto's only move is Transform is simply a result of its own imperfect form: it's body is simply an amorphous slime of cells, which it can rearrange at will to take the physical form of any Pokémon it sees. I think that Ditto does contain the genetic material of all Pokémon, just like Mew, however its deoxyribonucleotides and proteins are unstructured and free-form, though it possesses an ability which allows some process within its organelles to arrange and structure these chaotic genetic materials into meaningful sequences. Given Mew is the only other Pokémon which is capable of learning Transform, it can be surmised that Mew also possesses the same unique intercellular capability: which can be taken as strong evidence that Ditto's body is comprised of Mew cells, and thus that Ditto is a product of the cloning and genetic experimentation which was conducted on Mew.

Whereas Ditto contains the DNA of all Pokémon in a chaotic and unstructured form, given it is simply as sort of animate slime, Mew's genome is more structured. Theoretically, Ditto may not even be a "failed" clone at all: given the unique self-reorganizing properties of Mew's cells, Ditto may simply be leftover Mew DNA from Dr. Fuji's creation of Mewtwo: in other words, Ditto may not be "failed", per se, but an animated slime of Mew cells leftover from the experimentation that led to Mewtwo.

It's a theory anyway. Either scenario is plausible.

Ahh.. thanks for helping me there. :)

No problem :pink_smile: This thread can certainly get a tad confusing; all this hypothesizing gets a bit dizzying if you're not careful, haha :pink_giggle:

Last edited:

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • I really thing that whoever does the story for pokemon in anyway at Nintendo do this kind of thing on purpose, even though it isn't ever going to be confirmed it could still lead up to them just trying to screw with us, or seeing what kind of theories we could possibly come up with.
    Because I mean c'mon, they're just so, so similar. I doubt that any of it is just complete coincidence. Or maybe it is. But until anybody can actually leak the truth or confirm it with proof, because for now it just stays the same. A theory.

Personally, I really want to think that it is actually true and they did all of it on purpose, because it just seems really cool and it kept us guessing really hard, even until now, and they continue doing that. Why? Because, it seems really amazing, its just like a book, a subplot or background story that seems really short, interesting and refreshing enough to not wear itself out.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    I've always thought of it to be the cousin of Mew or something, since there are so many similar things about it. it'd be awesome if it were confirmed! Poor ditto, its life is so sad being used only for breeding mainly.

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
    Years
  • Oh they loved the idea. Its more an accidental discovery than a plausible theory. They weren't even aware of the similarities, especially since Mew itself was never supposed to exist and was added in as a practical joke at the last minute of development. The one that added it in may have copied data from Ditto such as height and weight. The Color scheme (which aren't identical in hex value) are similar by chance too.

Well, Mew was supposed to exist: it just wasn't supposed to appear anywhere, or be able to be captured. Mew as a Pokémon in the game was added secretly last minute, yeah, but clearly the fact that Mewtwo existed long before that, and the presence of the Pokémon Mansion journals discussing Mew, demonstrate irrefutably that Mew was indeed meant to exist as a part of the Pokémon world, even though the data needed for it to appear in the game was not originally intended to exist. And the name "Mew" was copyrighted by Game Freak years before the games came out: it was clearly supposed to exist.
    As Brendino already said, Masuda's ignorance of the Mew-Ditto theory isn't necessarily a "debunking" of the hypothesis. In the same interview in which he stated he'd never heard of the Ditto-Mew connection, he also claimed that humans don't eat Pokémon (a claim contrary to many unambiguous Pokédex entries; Farfetch'd for example); not to say that Masuda doesn't know what he's talking about, but it seems to me from what I know of him that he knows a lot more about music than Pokémon.

I actually do believe that it is a failed experiment, but what can i say? The anime shall speak truth.

However the number of evidence to having ditto actually be a failed experiment of mew is really convincing.

"The anime shall speak truth."???

Since when does the anime speak truth? Electric attacks don't work on Onix, Marowak, Rhydon, etc.

The anime is a wonderful supplement, and a glimpse of the Pokémon world, just as the games, TCG, manga, etc., are. But it clearly isn't the ultimate authority on the matter.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I believe it. In the fields of Guyana a plethora of scientists from all around the Pokemon world attempted to clone Mew. In return they ended up with a Mewtwo and possibly Mew. the scientists had to run a lot of trials, so either all of the clones died or only a few died and dittos survived. From there, the dittos bred. All of your reasonings are sound, I believe that dittos are failed mews. The theory really does make sense; it's one of my favorite Pokemon theories.

Back